The Student Room Group

Missed 5 Uni exams, 1% attendance, no friends, got a 2:1 degree. AMA!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by searching123job
And he is not that lousy cos 2:1 needs work

Unless you are insinuating that uni is a joke now and you can get 2:1 by being lousy

I mean... Grade inflation is at a high right now, getting a 2:1 now is a hell of a lot easier than it was quite a few years back.

If OP had done their degree then, I doubt it would have had the same outcome.
Why did you not care about making friends?
Reply 22
Original post by Scotney
Why did you not care about making friends?

I just feel that making friends at university feels too forced. For example, on one of the introductory lectures of the course one of the module leaders said to the year group about university that "If you're not making friends, you're doing something wrong".

I didn't like the idea of being expected to be friends with people on the basis that we share the same course. I still spoke to people on campus, asked and answered questions, etc, but had no interest in taking that any further with them. I just didn't want to know them like that.

I had other things going on outside of university, so had less of a need to connect with other students, as compared to someone who has come from another country to study here - they would understandably be more likely to need the friendship. With that in mind, I wanted to concentrate on the academic side of university.

I know that's the wrong thing to do. University isn't about academics anymore. Universities are aware that students can often self-study, like I did, through the course without attending lectures, etc. A lot of learning is done independently. But to justify the existence of brick-universities, they have to emphasize the importance of physical connection, and that's why they make such a fuss about making friends. When you pay all that money to attend university, you're only paying a small amount for the actual degree, and the rest of your money goes towards paying for the opportunities to interact (e.g. through 'Societies' and lectures). You're paying more for the chance to make friends, rather than the chance to get a degree.

So making friends at university really is important. I just chose to ignore the opportunities to interact to see what happens.
What can you write on your CV though or talk about in interview if you never went to anything? You did no group discussions, no real examples of team work, no critical thinking in class, no practicals, no fieldwork...

You are nowhere near equipt to go into the real world as someone who attended most of the time. You are not competent to have a job if you never turn up.

And there is a big difference in quality between a low 2.1 and a high 2.1.
Reply 24
Original post by OddOnes
What can you write on your CV though or talk about in interview if you never went to anything? You did no group discussions, no real examples of team work, no critical thinking in class, no practicals, no fieldwork...

You are nowhere near equipt to go into the real world as someone who attended most of the time. You are not competent to have a job if you never turn up.

And there is a big difference in quality between a low 2.1 and a high 2.1.

I have enough experience from university to still be able to talk about those things! I still worked in groups and did practicals when I had to. My Project is the main potential talking point which includes fieldwork and critical thinking. All university courses are evolved around critical thinking to some extent.

I can demonstrate those things outside of university too. I worked two jobs whilst studying, and I do community work. I'm punctual to those.

If I hadn't missed the exams which resulted in capped marks, I could've been on a First :frown:
meh dont think anyone cares
Original post by RiddleM
As I've tried to summarize in the title, I finished university with a 2:1 classification despite:
- Missing *five exams over the whole course (and having to re-sit them)
- Attended lectures/seminars/workshops once a fortnight in the first year, once a month in the second year, and not at all in the final year (excluding tutor/supervisor meetings)
- Having no interest in making friends

There's been a lot of people worrying on TSR about the things above, and how they could affect their own degree, so this might help.

I'll answer anything but won't name the university, as I don't want to bring the university's practice into question, or turn this thread into some petty debate on 'my uni is harder than your uni'.

AMA
*Just realized that I technically missed 5 exams, but can't edit the title :/
Well done, almost £30,000 wasted.
Reply 27
Original post by searching123job
Dont jealous him

Maybe some ppl need to go every lecture and need 100% attendance to get 2:1

But others dont need that and get by fine

Be jealous of someone with no friends? wtf
Which university OP?
Hey!

I think this is an interesting topic - I definitely know of Universities that will kick you out if you don't attend a minimum amount of seminars and universities that have no policy at all.

For your AMA,
Do you feel that university has been worth your while?
Are you working in a field relating to your original goals/degree?
Any regrets?

Joshua :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by RedGiant
Well done, almost £30,000 wasted.

No, the Welsh Government subsidized it, plus provided grants. I also had a bursary. So the total amount of what I owe is covered by a couple of months' work; it's nowhere near £30,000. <3
What did you study.. I feel like this is an important Q :P
Which professor did you zleep with?
Reply 33
Original post by desou
Be jealous of someone with no friends? wtf

I meant no friends in the university context, not that I have no friends at all! I went to university mainly for the academic part, rather than how some may go mainly for the social part.
Original post by random_matt
Which university OP?

I'm not going to say because it will turn into a 'my university is better than yours' thread. 🤭
Original post by RiddleM
No, the Welsh Government subsidized it, plus provided grants. I also had a bursary. So the total amount of what I owe is covered by a couple of months' work; it's nowhere near £30,000. <3

That's even worse then, tax payers money being completely wasted on lazy people like you. That money could have financed a disadvantaged person who actually wanted to attend. Not something to brag about.

Nevertheless, it still is £30k wasted, regardless of whether or not you paid for some of it; so well done to you, you must feel proud. How you continued to get the bursary with 1% attendance is mind boggling.
(edited 4 years ago)
All I will say is that Welsh universities are more likely to have to succumb to the pressure of passing students, especially when universities are desperately trying to climb the tables. Drop out rates are also a major turnoff for prospective students, and reflects badly on university teaching standards.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by RedGiant
That's even worse then, tax payers money completely wasted on lazy people like you. That money could have financed a disadvantaged person who actually wanted to attend. Not something to brag about.

I was working two jobs alongside university, whilst still finishing the course. If that's what you wanna call "lazy" then fan-taby-dozie.

Also because of the small amount of money I owe, I actually intend to pay it off in full quickly, rather than not paying it off at all as is frequently commented about students who will get their debts forfeited after X amount of years. Am I really hurting the 'tax-payer" more than those? ^
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RiddleM
As I've tried to summarize in the title, I finished university with a 2:1 classification despite:
- Missing *five exams over the whole course (and having to re-sit them)
- Attended lectures/seminars/workshops once a fortnight in the first year, once a month in the second year, and not at all in the final year (excluding tutor/supervisor meetings)
- Having no interest in making friends

There's been a lot of people worrying on TSR about the things above, and how they could affect their own degree, so this might help.

I'll answer anything but won't name the university, as I don't want to bring the university's practice into question, or turn this thread into some petty debate on 'my uni is harder than your uni'.

AMA
*Just realized that I technically missed 5 exams, but can't edit the title :/

1. What were your individual module scores over the 3 years?
2. What was your reason for missing 5 exams and in which year did they happen?
3. How many credits were they each worth?
4. Were all those units capped in resits?
5. Did all those units count towards final degree grade calculation?
6. How was your overall degree classification graded and how were the years weighted?
7. What is your degree subject?
8. What is your average grade for your 2:1?
9. How do you think your thread helps? Notwithstanding that universities have their own rules and that what worked at your uni doesnt mean it is the same elsewhere. Nor the same for the course, some courses you can miss lectures others you cannot.
10. Did you also miss tutorials?
11. What point are you making about having no friends? Is that aspirational? {I see this is naswered above].

I am asking to get a fuller picture of what went on as the way you have set it out misses a lot of key information and doesnt really paint the full picture. Well done on your 2:1.
(edited 4 years ago)
Well done
I did something similar in my first year - didn't submit coursework, dreadful attendance - and my university never got in-touch till after I didn't show up to exams (and even then it was just the admin department telling me what work I hadn't completed). I've always thought it ironic that Oxford and Cambridge, despite having many of the brightest and most driven students, also have the most stringent supervision: afaik, if you miss an essay submission, of which there are many and which don't count towards your grade, you will be expected to formally justify it. And that multiple missed essays is treated very seriously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending