wasn't born here does he have an issue with it Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
okay so my partner recently found out I wasn't born in the UK, I was born in a south asian country then my parents brought me here when I was a baby and I've been raised here. When he found out he left emoges that looked shocked in a bad way and said 'you're a back homie?', I got upset and he later realised I was upset at first he just carried on talking normally. Then he kept apologising but part of me is thinking that he doesn't like the fact that I wasn't born here or am I being paranoid. He said he doesn't have an issue with it and no one should care but I don't know
Anonymous #1
I've never felt insecure about not being born here until now, what difference does it really make in who I am as a person? I'd still be the same person whether or not I was or wasn't born here
Anonymous #1
is it anything to be insecure about?
Surnia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've never felt insecure about not being born here until now, what difference does it really make in who I am as a person? I'd still be the same person whether or not I was or wasn't born here
It's not like you had much say in the matter when it was your parents that made the decision to move! But bless you, you are right, it makes no difference whatsoever to you as a person. Your partner has an attraction to you and that shouldn't change because of where you were born.

If someone said to me they'd been born abroad I'd be interested to know more about their background. Quite honestly, your partner's response sounds at the very least ignorant, I'll even say prejudiced.

I suggest you talk to him and find out exactly why he reacted the way he did. Don't let him off the hook and let him dismiss it, get a proper answer. Explain to him how it made you feel and that you are still the same person. Youll then need to have a long hard think about his message and how he explains it, and if it's something you can get past.
Stay strong :console:
Skeletonclique21
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
To me, it doesn't sound like he's upset, it sounds like he;s just surprised. I found out one of my close friends wasn't born here and i was shocked but not in a bad way! thought it was pretty cool tbh. I mean it depends on how he's acting now
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Surnia)
It's not like you had much say in the matter when it was your parents that made the decision to move! But bless you, you are right, it makes no difference whatsoever to you as a person. Your partner has an attraction to you and that shouldn't change because of where you were born.

If someone said to me they'd been born abroad I'd be interested to know more about their background. Quite honestly, your partner's response sounds at the very least ignorant, I'll even say prejudiced.

I suggest you talk to him and find out exactly why he reacted the way he did. Don't let him off the hook and let him dismiss it, get a proper answer. Explain to him how it made you feel and that you are still the same person. Youll then need to have a long hard think about his message and how he explains it, and if it's something you can get past.
Stay strong :console:
Thank you this actually made me feel alot better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads