BMAT for 2020 Entry Watch

AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You will find out your results after your application is sent off, yes.
The exam is end of October and you send your application off mid-october so you won't know how good of a shot you will have at BMAT uni's. I'd only apply to 1 or 2 BMAT uni's because of this unless your UCAT is dreadful in which case applying for more BMAT uni's isn't a bad idea
Flowrate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ilovescrubs)
Ill be taking mine in october, im pretty nervous already!
From what ive been told, each uni has different ranking criteria, like ucl apparently prints out your essay to talk about :?

In terms of preparing for it, ive been going through the online material i can find and a couple of textbooks. im finding it quite difficult to know how to study for it since the resources are slightly different, though the clearest tips ive got are from a couple of friends who have already applied.
ive also been to a couple of 'BMAT day' style things, which i would definitely recommend.
I know Imperial college london is hosting one too and it it looks promising as its also from medical students whove done the same. ill drop it here, good luck everyone!!:
This is really good advice! I had a similar experience and definitely what helped me the most and calmed me down was speaking to current medical students.
Good luck with your results today!
Anonymous030702
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hey guys, anyone doing the August BMAT? How far are you in your revision, I feel so behind so a reference point would be great.
tzouii
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous030702)
Hey guys, anyone doing the August BMAT? How far are you in your revision, I feel so behind so a reference point would be great.
yo i’m going for august BmAt too and i’ve been working quite hard . I haven’t hit the 6 yet but mostly my scores are 4.6-5.4 is area. it’s been really difficult to improve eek and essay section has me wanting to end myself. it’s been alright but apparently the typical score is 5.0 is so would like to stand out a little even if it’s just getting higher than 5.5 i would be estatic !
Anonymous030702
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by tzouii)
yo i’m going for august BmAt too and i’ve been working quite hard . I haven’t hit the 6 yet but mostly my scores are 4.6-5.4 is area. it’s been really difficult to improve eek and essay section has me wanting to end myself. it’s been alright but apparently the typical score is 5.0 is so would like to stand out a little even if it’s just getting higher than 5.5 i would be estatic !
Aye thats honestly so good. I havent even started past papers and have done so few questions I should probably not say. I know what you mean, I'm not good with essays either, I think structuring the counterarguments well along with the conclusion is what they are looking for. But I don't even know what to even write for half of them. How long would you say you've been doing past papers then.
tzouii
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
u don’t wanna know i started like two weeks ago - but the scores have fluctuated so much and i’ve realised how demanding it is. normally i’m a pretty good student . do work get grades but i think the approach to bmat is entirely different . it’s more aptitude esque so i guess don’t be too bogged down if u have low scores like i am rn teehee

Aye thats honestly so good. I havent even started past papers and have done so few questions I should probably not say. I know what you mean, I'm not good with essays either, I think structuring the counterarguments well along with the conclusion is what they are looking for. But I don't even know what to even write for half of them. How long would you say you've been doing past papers then.
laloon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi all,
If anyone wants advice/help with BMAT then do feel free to mention I will reply back as best as I can.
princesslife
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Anyone have any tips for critical thinking? I am just not getting it?
SandiyG
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by laloon)
Hi all,
If anyone wants advice/help with BMAT then do feel free to mention I will reply back as best as I can.
Awesome thanks, In terms of time needed to prep, resources needed, your experience with each section ? Anything would be great.
laloon
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by princesslife)
Anyone have any tips for critical thinking? I am just not getting it?
reasonings + assumptions = conclusion.
in questions which ask identify the flaw, you have to figure out what the assumption in the argument and show that without this assumption, or if the assumption is unreasonable, then the conclusion fails.
laloon
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by SandiyG)
Awesome thanks, In terms of time needed to prep, resources needed, your experience with each section ? Anything would be great.
I started as early as I could which was many months in advance and I used the 700 BMAT practise book.

I found section 2 the easiest > essay > section 1.

With section 2, what I found was the best strategy was that I decided to answer the questions by discipline in a certain order.
for me it was all physics, then maths, then biology then chemistry because physics and maths were easier for me compared to bio and chem but of course choose an order which best works for you.
princesslife
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
reasonings + assumptions = conclusion.
in questions which ask identify the flaw, you have to figure out what the assumption in the argument and show that without this assumption, or if the assumption is unreasonable, then the conclusion fails.
Thank you!! Sometimes I just don;t understand the whole entire point of the passage? The timing is kinda restricting for me to actually have a conclusion of the passage. Any tips??
SandiyG
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I started as early as I could which was many months in advance and I used the 700 BMAT practise book.

I found section 2 the easiest > essay > section 1.

With section 2, what I found was the best strategy was that I decided to answer the questions by discipline in a certain order.
for me it was all physics, then maths, then biology then chemistry because physics and maths were easier for me compared to bio and chem but of course choose an order which best works for you.
Perfect! Thank you loads.
laloon
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by princesslife)
Thank you!! Sometimes I just don;t understand the whole entire point of the passage? The timing is kinda restricting for me to actually have a conclusion of the passage. Any tips??
id leave the long questions till the end.

answer all/as many of the critical thinking Q's, then the shapes questions which requires spatial awareness or vice versa etc as these are easier Q's imo.

then if you get time answer answer the long Q's.
princesslife
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
id leave the long questions till the end.

answer all/as many of the critical thinking Q's, then the shapes questions which requires spatial awareness or vice versa etc as these are easier Q's imo.

then if you get time answer answer the long Q's.
Got it! Thanks!
Krunker482
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by zhouanlai99)
For those who’ve taken the BMAT, how accurate are the scores for BMAT last year papers in gauging your actual score?
What do you mean? They have a score conversion table in the file with the markscheme and u just look at ur marks and the corresponding score and that is the score u would have gotten if u did the paper at that time
Anonymous030702
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi all,
I've only started prep a week ago as I've been juggling UCAT and PS, how many hours do you suggest per day as my exam is in two weeks.
laloon
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I've only started prep a week ago as I've been juggling UCAT and PS, how many hours do you suggest per day as my exam is in two weeks.
8/day.

but I would mostly focus on section 2 as it's easier to get 5.5+. Even 6+ if you focus on it all day with the right style of revision.
princesslife
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I'm not sure how to do this question in a quick way.

The options are A: 700 000 dollars
B: 720 000 dollars
C: 715 000 dollars
D: 690 000 dollars
Attached files
Jon1:)
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi guys, im new here and basically only made a student room account cause I need some other opinions on the bmat haha. Im doing quite a few past papers now and if anyone could help with this question it would be amazing cause I dont really understand the solution either:
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%