The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How much revision has everyone done I’ve literally barely done any and freaking out 😬😫
Original post by princesslife
I'm not sure how to do this question in a quick way.

The options are A: 700 000 dollars
B: 720 000 dollars
C: 715 000 dollars
D: 690 000 dollars

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this with a relative quick method??
Original post by OriAna_powell
How much revision has everyone done I’ve literally barely done any and freaking out 😬😫

SAME!! I'm freaking out as well. I only started like 4 days ago and I haven't done any past papers- just revising for section 2 and practise questions. What about you??
I’ve only done section 2 revsion as well I haven’t even started physics or maths I’m so worried about section 1
Reply 44
Original post by Anonymous030702
Try writing it out, we know 6 can only be with 3 or 1. and 5 is with 2 or 8.

so we have:
6+3, , ,2+5
6+3, , ,8+5
6+1, , ,2+5
6+1, , ,8+5

in option 1. 3 can only be followed by 8 (only even w diff of at least 3), so we rule out option 2. (numbers can only be used once). 8 in opt 1 must be followed by 1. so 8+1

6+3,8+1, ,2+5
6+1, , ,2+5
6+1, , ,8+5

Using this method for opt 1 we can see the next round will be 4+7 followed by 2+5 which fit our conditions so 6/3 and 2/5 are the teams. therefore C. hope that made sense

Ah that makes sense, thank you so much! I spent so long trying to find an efficient way to solve it without trial and error - thanks! :smile:
Anyone here doing august BMAT?
I thought all the people stressing above are taking the August one?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Teitchie
I thought all the people stressing above are taking the August one?

You're right, I didn't read the page before my mistake.
Original post by Schoolboy101
You're right, I didn't read the page before my mistake.

I wasn’t sure, so I was asking to calm my mind haha
Reply 49
So how are people feeling about the exam :/?
Hi guys, do you know roughly how early I should start preparing for the BMAT if I'm taking the October test date?
Reply 51
Original post by grekoiran
What is the BMAT?
The BMAT (Biomedical Admissions Test) is a 2 hour examination required for entry to a number of Medical Schools in the United Kingdom, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Spain and Netherlands as well as a selection of Dentistry and Biomedical Science courses.

When is the BMAT?
The BMAT examination can be taken on one of two dates in 2019. The first date is 31st August 2019, and is suitable for all BMAT applicants except Oxford applicants. The second BMAT examination date is 30th October 2019; this is suitable for all BMAT applicants. Students can choose to take the BMAT examination on either one of these dates at a registered centre/school.

Who has to take the BMAT?

Undergraduate Medicine Applicants to: University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, University College London, Brighton and Sussex Medical School, Lancaster University, University of Leeds, Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (Singapore), University of Malaya (Malaysia), Thammasat University CICM, (Thailand), Mahidol University (Thailand).

Graduate Medicine Applicants to: University of Oxford, Imperial College London.

Biomedical Science Applicants to: University of Oxford, Imperial College London.

Dentistry Applicants to: University of Leeds, Thammasat University (Thailand), University of Melbourne (Australia)

How to Prepare for the BMAT?
The first and most important step is to consider the BMAT like any other A-Level or GCSE examination, and ignore any mention of the BMAT as 'an examination that cannot be prepared for.' There is a statistically significant correlation between the amount one prepares for the BMAT, and one's BMAT score.

Section 1 (Aptitude and Skills) - 35 MCQ, 60 Minutes
Question Types: Problem Solving, Data Handling & Critical Thinking

A) Resources - Make use of the abundance of free practice resources available for Section 1. In addition to the Official BMAT Past Papers, Oxford TSA Past Papers provide additional practice for Problem Solving questions whilst OCR Critical Thinking Unit 2 is a very useful practice resource for Critical Thinking Questions.

B) Recognise Pitfalls - In contrast to most A-Level examinations, BMAT Section 1 is full of tricks and trips, intended to misguide students. Fortunately, there are only so-many tricks that the BMAT are able to use. Hence, each time you come across one of these, add it to your 'personal list', to avoid making the same mistake in future practice.

Section 2 (Scientific Knowledge and Applications) - 27 MCQ, 30 Minutes
Question Types: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics

A) Official Resource Guide - With this being the official resource guide, there really is no better resource for Section 2 preparation. Most students find it best to quickly review the whole guide and highlight any topics which they have not covered at GCSE level for further learning. Bear in mind that whilst Section 2 is supposed to be 'GCSE Level'; the examination can assess topics which you may not have covered until AS and sometimes even A2 due to variation in exam board specifications.

B) Timing - Half the challenge of Section 2 is the limited time; hence, it essential to practice this section under strict timed conditions. Fast mental maths, confident use of fractions and a good background Biology knowledge, will ensure that you have additional time for those challenging Physics and Chemistry calculations.

C) Resources - Once you have completed all official and BMAT specific resources, GCSE Bitesize is of some use, whilst you may wish to also consider practicing GCSE Maths Calculator papers, without a calculator in order to further improve your mental maths.

D) BMAT Subject Guide - Past Papers are categorised by subjects. Useful resource if you are stronger/weaker in certain subjects.

Section 3 (Written Task) - 1 Essay (Choice of 3), 30 Minutes
Question Types: Topical Medical Issues, Medical Ethics, Medical Philosophy, Veterinary Medicine

A) Address all parts of the question - Each question normally has three or four parts. Regardless of how good your essay is, if you do not address all parts of the question, your essay will be capped at 3/3.5 as per the Section 3 Official Marking Criteria.

B) Plan - With 30 minutes, and one A4 sheet provided, this section is the least time restricted. Essays which score highest are those which are well structured and address all parts of the question, bringing in additional topical examples and knowledge.

Free BMAT Resources
A) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 1)
B) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 2)
C) Past Paper Worked Solutions
D) Section 1 Practice Questions
E) Section 2 Practice Questions
F) Practice Questions
G) BMAT Subject Guide
H) BMAT Articles

Essential Books
A) Preparing for the BMAT: The Official Guide to the Biomedical Admissions Test
B) BMAT Past Paper Worked Solutions (2003-Present)

(adapted from post by rmd141)

Thanks for this!
Original post by tzouii
u don’t wanna know i started like two weeks ago - but the scores have fluctuated so much and i’ve realised how demanding it is. normally i’m a pretty good student . do work get grades but i think the approach to bmat is entirely different . it’s more aptitude esque so i guess don’t be too bogged down if u have low scores like i am rn teehee

Hi I'm exactly the same! I've been doing the past papers on medify (most their explanations are pretty good) but my scores fluctuate so much! i have defo done more past papers than practice questions tho
Reply 53
Original post by AverageHuman
I'm doing the UCAT test and also want to do the BMAT in October of this year. But my mate told me if I do BMAT in october I won't know my results when I/if I apply to a BMAT university so its risky. Is this true?

Yes this is true, you won't know your results before you send in your uni application. You'll receive your results the same time as the uni's you picked receive it. It is risky but if you think you'll do well in the BMAT then go for it :smile: if you want to be safe and still take BMAT in oct, choose uni's that don't put a big emphasis on it or don't require a high BMAT score. I hope this answered your question!
Yo did anyone use BMAT ninja? I'm trying to choose between it and medify cause I don't want to pay for both. Is it any good?
I bought both and Medify is so much better, don’t bother with BMAT Ninja

Thanks for the heads up :smile:
Original post by clara.w123
Thanks for the heads up :smile:

They're pretty interchangeable content-wise, but Medify is structured much better etc. and goes into more detail to some extent. My only problem is, some of its practice questions (that are not taken from the original papers) include material that is not covered by their tutorials but also don't seem to be on the BMAT content specification, e.g. detail of protein synthesis in bio anyone have any thoughts on this?
(edited 4 years ago)
They're pretty interchangeable content-wise, but Medify is structured much better etc. and goes into more detail to some extent. My only problem is, some of its practice questions (that are not taken from the original papers) include material that is not covered by their tutorials but also don't seem to be on the BMAT content specification, e.g. detail of protein synthesis in bio anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yeah I have noticed this too, Sometimes they ask questions on joints and some organs in bio that arent in the spec. However I generally think its pretty good, especially with the past paper explanations. I do think that some of the practice qs are easier than the stuff that comes up in the past papers though
Reply 58
Is anyone taking the August BMAT in London? I registered but after the confirmation email, there has been no further contact. What are the logistics for the day? Just turn up?
Reply 59
Original post by Mel242
Is anyone taking the August BMAT in London? I registered but after the confirmation email, there has been no further contact. What are the logistics for the day? Just turn up?

I’m taking it in Newcastle and I hadn’t heard anything by Friday, so I contacted Cambridge assessments and a few hours later got an email from the exam centre with the details of the day, might be worth getting in touch.

Latest

Trending

Trending