The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My BMAT score for section 1 has refused to budge from mid 5s even since my first past paper 8 weeks ago. My section 2 score is around mid 6s. Section 2 seems easier to improve and shows more returns with practice so I was thinking of ditching S1 and focusing on S2 alone. Is this a good idea? I also think that Cambridge values section 2(or that might just be certain colleges like Queens) more than any other.
Original post by Medwizard
My BMAT score for section 1 has refused to budge from mid 5s even since my first past paper 8 weeks ago. My section 2 score is around mid 6s. Section 2 seems easier to improve and shows more returns with practice so I was thinking of ditching S1 and focusing on S2 alone. Is this a good idea? I also think that Cambridge values section 2(or that might just be certain colleges like Queens) more than any other.

These are scores from the more recent(and harder?) past papers btw.
Reply 782

Any tips for section 1 when it comes to the long passage qs that say "qs 18-21 are from this passage". Really don't know how to tackle it.

Also, how do you write your conclusion to your essay? Like do you sum up what you wrote... what do you do?
Original post by melisaaaa
help please

Fatalities caused per crash is the same as fatalities/crash.
Divide the percentage onboard fatalities by the crash percentage.
A gives the greatest as 16/8 = 2.
Therefore A is the answer
Original post by Exdoz
Whenever you write about a new point, does it have to be a new paragraph? Let's say you have 2 points FOR the statement- do you include these in the same paragraph or in two different paragraphs?

Also, in the conclusion when you talk about 'To what extent you agree with the statement', can you finally become more bias towards a side? Like can you say 'In my opinion...'

Probably depends on the points you have, but in the most common situations I would say that the for arguments go together and the against arguments go in another paragraph. A situation where you wouldn't is when two of the arguments directly oppose each other, then you would put them together.
Personally, I wouldn't say 'In my opinion'. I would say something more along things lines of "Based on the arguments for and against, insert statement is correct because insert argument for outweighs insert argument against".
These are scores from the more recent(and harder?) past papers btw.

The harder papers shouldn't change your score much, as it'll be easier to get a higher score with a lower mark on harder papers.

I'd say, as long as you get all the past papers since 2009 done, that focusing on section 2 is not a bad idea. Particularly if you are getting consistent mid 5s for section 1. This is not a bad score and it may just be better to focus on section 2 as it is easier to increase your score in that.
Original post by yankang.qi
The harder papers shouldn't change your score much, as it'll be easier to get a higher score with a lower mark on harder papers.

The recent papers aren't any harder, just score is lower despite getting similar marks.
Reply 787
Are the 2003-2008 papers easier or harder than the 2009-2018 papers?
Original post by Exdoz
Are the 2003-2008 papers easier or harder than the 2009-2018 papers?

I'd say the 2003-2008 ones are easier but they are still good practice and you should do them if you have time. You want to leave some of the more recent ones for closer to the exam date though.
Reply 789
I'd say the 2003-2008 ones are easier but they are still good practice and you should do them if you have time. You want to leave some of the more recent ones for closer to the exam date though.

How easier do you think they are? A percentage would be great- obviously it won't be accurate. But why do you think its easier? Like are there more problem solving qs now or what?
Reply 790
What do you guys think would be Imperial's cut off score for bmat this year? Do you think we're going to do stronger as a cohort compared to last year?
I believe this year's cut off will be something like 4.3, 4.5, 2.5B
Reply 791

Also, do you think I should not do the 2003-2008 section 1s, and go straight to the TSA papers from Oxford? Do you think the Oxford ones are better than the 2003-2008 section 1s?
Original post by Exdoz
How easier do you think they are? A percentage would be great- obviously it won't be accurate. But why do you think its easier? Like are there more problem solving qs now or what?

Its just that the questions are easier, but you'll still get a representative score as it'll be harder to get a higher score.
Some questions are just easier than others, like they don't require as much thinking as the more recent ones.
If I had to put a percentage I'd say 20% easier? Not really sure.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Exdoz
Also, do you think I should not do the 2003-2008 section 1s, and go straight to the TSA papers from Oxford? Do you think the Oxford ones are better than the 2003-2008 section 1s?

I haven't tried the TSA questions, but I've heard they can be good practice.
Original post by Exdoz
What do you guys think would be Imperial's cut off score for bmat this year? Do you think we're going to do stronger as a cohort compared to last year?

You really can't guess that sort of stuff, but it should be around the same each year as the scores for each paper are based on a normal distribution curve.
Reply 795
You really can't guess that sort of stuff, but it should be around the same each year as the scores for each paper are based on a normal distribution curve.

Yh this cohort did better in the ucat so I'm expecting the same for bmat. We will see though
Guessing doesn't hurt
Original post by Exdoz

4.5 4.3 2.5 C, I doubt it'll be B.
does anyone have any tips for section 2?? i haven't taken physics or maths at a level (i did get 9s at gcse but that doesn't mean anything), i feel like i'm at a disadvantage :frown: i have been getting low-mid 6s in all the s2 papers until 2010 (which is good i know), but i feel like when i'm doing the paper i just don't feel confident in any of the maths and physics and just end up guessing the answers and being lucky.
Original post by slimthicc
does anyone have any tips for section 2?? i haven't taken physics or maths at a level (i did get 9s at gcse but that doesn't mean anything), i feel like i'm at a disadvantage :frown: i have been getting low-mid 6s in all the s2 papers until 2010 (which is good i know), but i feel like when i'm doing the paper i just don't feel confident in any of the maths and physics and just end up guessing the answers and being lucky.

the only way to improve is to revise the content and practice.
theres a guide to all the physics if you sign up here
https://www.preparation.admissionstesting.org/login/index.php
the only way to improve is to revise the content and practice.
theres a guide to all the physics if you sign up here
https://www.preparation.admissionstesting.org/login/index.php

that's what i've been trying to do, do you have any tips on actually learning the content and being able to apply it in questions?

Latest