Please help! International Applicant to the UK Watch

jaxophonerennie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hello all,

I’m a British expat living in Beijing attending a French high school, as I’ve always been in the French education system, and I’m planning on applying to Oxbridge this October and other universities a bit later for 2020 entry.

Do I include my high school transcripts, as in my coursework/regular test grades, in my UCAS form? If so, where? And if not, do I include them anywhere else, such as on Cambridge’s SAQ , or on Oxford’s equivalent, if it has one?

I’m asking because I don’t have GCSEs obviously, but I have a Brevet des collèges which I took in the same year which is an approximate equivalent, my first exam results from the Épreuves anticipées of the Baccalaureat (called AS in England if I’m not mistaken, taken in your penultimate year of sixth form?) and my predicted grades for my final Bac results. I’m just unsure as to what I should add to give them an idea of my academic achievement over the past year or two, as the UCAS form is designed primarily with English pupils in mind.

If anyone had any answers or suggestions I’d be very grateful.

Thanks
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by jaxophonerennie)
Hello all,

I’m a British expat living in Beijing attending a French high school, as I’ve always been in the French education system, and I’m planning on applying to Oxbridge this October and other universities a bit later for 2020 entry.

Do I include my high school transcripts, as in my coursework/regular test grades, in my UCAS form? If so, where? And if not, do I include them anywhere else, such as on Cambridge’s SAQ , or on Oxford’s equivalent, if it has one?

I’m asking because I don’t have GCSEs obviously, but I have a Brevet des collèges which I took in the same year which is an approximate equivalent, my first exam results from the Épreuves anticipées of the Baccalaureat (called AS in England if I’m not mistaken, taken in your penultimate year of sixth form?) and my predicted grades for my final Bac results. I’m just unsure as to what I should add to give them an idea of my academic achievement over the past year or two, as the UCAS form is designed primarily with English pupils in mind.

If anyone had any answers or suggestions I’d be very grateful.

Thanks
The UCAS form will have space to include your qualifications. Most international qualifications are included, but if they aren't, there's also an "other" option you can select. However, I'd expect French qualifications to be included.

You'll provide a referee who will be able to speak to your school performance more generally.

As your education has mostly been in French, it's likely you'll also need to provide some proof of your ability to speak English- often this is done in the form of an IELTS exam.
jaxophonerennie
Rep:
?
I’m British, English is my native language, both my parents are British journalists/writers, and as such I don’t think they require language certificates.

Thanks, I’ll look at the UCAS form in more detail.
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
The UCAS form will have space to include your qualifications. Most international qualifications are included, but if they aren't, there's also an "other" option you can select. However, I'd expect French qualifications to be included.

You'll provide a referee who will be able to speak to your school performance more generally.

As your education has mostly been in French, it's likely you'll also need to provide some proof of your ability to speak English- often this is done in the form of an IELTS exam.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I’m British, English is my native language, both my parents are British journalists/writers, and as such I don’t think they require language certificates.

Thanks, I’ll look at the UCAS form in more detail.
Most unis will want some proof of your English ability- even for UK based students they set English GCSE requirements. You should definitely check with individual universities before assuming they won't want proof of your English ability.
jaxophonerennie
Rep:
?
Just checked Oxford and Cambridge’s websites; they both state that only non-native English speakers require an English ability test.
Most unis will want some proof of your English ability- even for UK based students they set English GCSE requirements. You should definitely check with individual universities before assuming they won't want proof of your English ability.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Just checked Oxford and Cambridge’s websites; they both state that only non-native English speakers require an English ability test.
Oxford and Cambridge are actually able to be less specific, as they have their own admissions tests and also interview. However, it's very likely that at least some of your 4 other choices will want some proof of your English language ability.
jaxophonerennie
Rep:
?
Also checked LSE, UCL and KCL, and all ask that all non-native English speakers/ students whose first language is not English take an English proficiency test.

And yes, I’ll have to take the HAT/HAA depending on whether I apply to Oxford or Cambridge for History. They’ll also have my submitted written work and obviously my personal statement, so they’ll have quite a bit of proof imo.
Oxford and Cambridge are actually able to be less specific, as they have their own admissions tests and also interview. However, it's very likely that at least some of your 4 other choices will want some proof of your English language ability.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (123)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.38%
No I am happy with my course choice (355)
56.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed