The Student Room Group

Geography/Human sciences personal statement

any tips on how i can try to link or what to incorporate into my personal statement? want to apply to geography and human sciences, I see some similarities especially in terms of the ecology/biodiversity and society bits, but not really int he genetics/biology bits. Also, does anyone have any tips on good work experience to gain for human sciences?
Well genetics and evolution do influence ecology and biodiversity, and relating specifically to humans, in terms of human behavioural ecology (considering how human behaviours and culture evolved over long term as a response to their environments). So you can discuss more broadly both how humans affect their environment and how the environment affects humans in the long and short runs, perhaps.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm not sure about Exeter but at the HumSci talks at both UCL and Oxford at their Open Days both said that they don't consider personal statements as much as other courses because it's such a niche subject, and they understand that people will be applying to different subjects. I personally wouldn't worry about trying to balance your personal statement by trying to shoehorn in genetics/biology (which wouldn't look as good to Geography admissions tutors), and instead would focus on writing something really good for Geography. Maybe you could focus on the bits of the HumSci syllabus that you really like which overlap with Geography?
Thank you, this was a great help
Original post by artful_lounger
Well genetics and evolution do influence ecology and biodiversity, and relating specifically to humans, in terms of human behavioural ecology (considering how human behaviours and culture evolved over long term as a response to their environments). So you can discuss more broadly both how humans affect their environment and how the environment affects humans in the long and short runs, perhaps.
Thanks I will try my best to do this. Also, are you or did you apply to human sciences? And if so what a levels did you take
Original post by Sky_Border01
I'm not sure about Exeter but at the HumSci talks at both UCL and Oxford at their Open Days both said that they don't consider personal statements as much as other courses because it's such a niche subject, and they understand that people will be applying to different subjects. I personally wouldn't worry about trying to balance your personal statement by trying to shoehorn in genetics/biology (which wouldn't look as good to Geography admissions tutors), and instead would focus on writing something really good for Geography. Maybe you could focus on the bits of the HumSci syllabus that you really like which overlap with Geography?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending