Election of a Speaker: Notification Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Following my resignation, the House will now elect a new speaker.

Anyone who is or has previously been an MP is eligible to stand for the role. If you do wish to stand, please send me a manifesto by 6pm on Monday 15th July. Manifestos may be no longer than 250 words, and any manifestos submitted as an image file must be accompanied by a plain-text copy, or they will not be posted.

The timetable for this election is as follows:
Day 0 – The Speaker announces the election and asks for manifestos to be submitted to them.
Day 3 – The Speaker will create a question and answer thread, and will post the candidates who wish to run in the election for speaker along with their manifestos.
Day 5 – The Speaker will open a secret poll (for MPs only in the Division Lobby) with the candidates’ names and the option for Re-Open Nominations.
Day 10 – Poll closes. If a candidate has gained more than 50% of the vote, they are elected. If not, the two candidates with the most votes, plus ties, are put into a second three day ballot with no R.O.N. option. If at any point during the runoff vote a candidate withdraws the runoff is rerun between the remaining candidate and the next highest placed candidate on the first round ballot excluding the candidate who has withdrawn. The runoff may be rerun a maximum of three times. In the event there is no next placed candidate from the first round the remaining candidate undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion procedure lasting three days. If three runoffs all result in withdrawals the candidate left undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion.
Day 13/16/19 – If a runoff election was needed, results of the election are announced and the candidate with the most votes is elected.
Day 22 – If a Speakership Confirmation Motion was called, the results are announced.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Best of luck to all those standing.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
As I've said every time for this one, I'm not interested. I hope that an organised, responsible and committed candidate can come forward and take the reigns and look forward to the election process beginning.

Also, for the sake of my party's voting record let it be someone who isn't a Lib Dem.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Saracen's Fez, on a point of order, whilst manifestos cannot be longer than 250 words would you allow the so called long form manifestos we often see in elections or is it a strict 250 word limit?

Also, does it have to be in English or can I use German for example to just shove loads of words together to make a series of one word sentences?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Aph)
Saracen's Fez, on a point of order, whilst manifestos cannot be longer than 250 words would you allow the so called long form manifestos we often see in elections or is it a strict 250 word limit?

Also, does it have to be in English or can I use German for example to just shove loads of words together to make a series of one word sentences?
Really 250 words should be the hard limit and should be plenty of words as it has been in the past.

And I'm afraid TSR rules would require me to provide a translation of any German in your manifesto – so you'd be relying both on the quality of my translation and that would be counting towards your word limit.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Aph)

Foreign compound words?
Would respond to that but I juoksentelisinkohan* at the moment and so can't.
* wonder if I should run around aimlessly.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am here today TO ANNOUNCE my intention to stand to become Speaker of the Model House of Commons.

I'M SURE THAT EACH OF US HAS SEEN OUR COMMUNITY FROM A NUMBER OF VIEWPOINTS, DEPENDING ON WHICH PARTISAN CIRCLES WE’VE BEEN IN AND WHAT WE HAVE DONE.

FOR ME, AS A Newbie starting UP IN SEVERAL SMALL parties (The Greens and the Liberals, as they were then; to my days as a roguish government MoNC-proposing, independent MP and later in my return to the Libertarian Party where I have risen to become its Leader. I HAVE SEEN THE Mhoc FROM government and from opposition, from leadership and from the backbenches, and from inside Parliament and outside; and from the left as well as the right. I’ve lived in an MHoC where vobots outnumber those who actively contribute and want to save this place. There have been five Speakers in my time here.

I’ve also seen the great strengths of this place. As it pulled itself up from the laughing stock of TSR to the glorious forum that it was during the 25th General Election and immediately before and after. To me, the MHoC community is a living and breathing presence. Proud of our OWN SUCCESS, GENEROUS, AND NAIVE. SOMETIMES wrong. AND IF THERE IS ONE THING THAT WE ARE SURE OF IT IS THAT HISTORY MAY NOT BE RELIVED. THERE ARE THOSE IN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY WHO WOULD HAVE US BELIEVE THAT THE MHoC, LIKE OTHER GREAT CULTURAL MOVEMENTS OF THE PAST, IS DYING. THAT WE ARE WEAK. REDUCED TO BICKERING AND NO LONGER ABLE TO INFLUENCE TSR. MUCH OF THIS HAS COME FROM LEADERS WHO CLAIM THAT OUR PROBLEMS ARE TOO DIFFICULT TO HANDLE. THAT WE MUST MEEKLY ACCEPT OUR FAILURES.

I SAY NO!

I DON'T AGREE THAT OUR COMMUNITY MUST RESIDE ITSELF TO DECLINE. IT IS A FAILURE OF PAST SPEAKERS TO ESTABLISH RATIONAL GOALS, AND ENACT REAL CHANGE TO OUR FLAWED AND OUTDATED CONSTITUTIONAL SYSTEMS.

IF IM ELECTED, I shall regard my election as proof that the people of the MHoC have decided to set a new agenda. An agenda of change. If I’m elected, I shall dedicate my blood, toil, sweat and tears to the office of Speaker.

Dare to Dream,
Vote Connor for Speaker
Last edited by Connor27; 5 days ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
As I've said every time for this one, I'm not interested. I hope that an organised, responsible and committed candidate can come forward and take the reigns and look forward to the election process beginning.
Ahem.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Jesus.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The tories would be sensible to vote Connor into the speakership, one less Libertarian to deal with then.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Jesus.
Jesus would make a great speaker, yes.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mainline421
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mr T 999)
Well better than Connor that's for sure.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
The tories would be sensible to vote Connor into the speakership, one less Libertarian to deal with then.
That would be an absolute disaster...
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mr T 999)
Please have some respect. Let us not refer to those whom Christians believe is the son of God again in this thread.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
So at this point I'm supporting Aph.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
A serious candidate would be nice
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Is Connor not a serious candidate?!
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
A serious candidate would be nice
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
He thinks he is, but that doesn't mean others agree.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
I'm a serious candidate
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well then, I wish you the best of luck along with Connor and everyone else standing for election.
(Original post by Aph)
I'm a serious candidate
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads