Statement from the Speaker: Resignation Watch

Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Statement from the Speaker: Resignation
Quite a few people have had this news 'for your eyes only' in the last few weeks, so this probably won't come as quite the same surprise as last time I wrote one of these...

Nonetheless I am coming into this new term in the knowledge that I have been Speaker for nigh on a year. (I think it's a year exactly next Friday or Saturday.) This role, like all others, has a shelf-life, and I think that point has now been reached.

Having had to keep more or less schtum for the last year, I am looking forward to being able to have opinions again, having been on a little bit of a political journey in RL since I took the chair for the second time.

The speakership has been a constant through the last week of my year abroad and through the final year of my degree, and it will be strange to give it up. I'll be staying on for as long as it takes to elect a successor, but then I look forward to taking on a partisan role again.

The speakership election begins here.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Disappointed to see one of the best speakers I've seen in the house resign. All good things must come to an end I suppose.
So well done Mr Speaker for going a good job and maintaining order in the house. :clap2:
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I tip my hat to you, you did a good job Mr Speaker. Your successor has quite the task.
The Mogg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Probably will be a bit more weird for me than some because I haven't been here for years, and you've been the only speaker I have seen here. You did a great job as speaker and it'll be a task for the next speaker to fill your boots.
Last edited by The Mogg; 2 days ago
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Sad to hear your resignation but it's probably the right time to step down and give someone else the chance to become Speaker of the House. Thank you for everything you've done. Saracen's Fez
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
https://media1.tenor.com/images/7b9d...temid=12536274
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thanks for your work, Fez. You've been a very reliable Speaker who has brought stability to the House. Enjoy the retirement.
999tigger
Report 2 days ago
Good job, hope it wasnt too draining for you and there were some upsides.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Fez, you came into this speakership after a very uncertain time in the house and you have genuinely been a rock for us all. I'd like to personally thank you for facilitating this game for the last year, especially while my own party has struggled with form (let's not deny it). I look forward greatly to your new adventures.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thank you Fez, you've been a good Speaker and I feel we have worked well together.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thank you Fez: for your hard work in the role, and reliability; whilst the House faced a significant downturn in activity, your guiding hand ensured that the House remained. Thank you, and all the best.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I also thank Fez for his service and wish him well on his quest to re-claim the labour crown.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thank you for all that you have done as Speaker, and I hope you are wishing to continue to be a part of the House.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Au revoir.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Fez as always you’ve done a great job, and in possibly the hardest situation any Speaker has ever had to face. Certainly harder than anything I had to deal with in the chair. We owe a lot to you that this place even still exists! Congrats on another great tenure
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Farewell Fez. You have been an exceptional speaker in these dwindling times. I look forward in seeing you take an active part in party politics again.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
It's a shame to see you go, Fez. You were a fantastic Speaker in your last tenure and from what I've seen on my occasional forays back, you've once again done a sterling job - your successor has a lot to live up to and I suppose that's testament to your hard work and dedication.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads