Re-reading. Watch

Jonbradleyc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Just finished my PRTC for the RAF. Going in as a Driver. I originally wanted to be a pilot but I didn't have the grades.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether there was a shot of me re-trading down the line if I got stuck into the flying club etc?

I'm not expecting to go near the fast jets or anything, aircrew at least would fulfill my ambitions!
Fast74
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Once you have finished your professional training providing you have 5 GCSEs above grade C to include maths and English language you will have academic eligibility (ie you won’t need 2 A levels) to apply for a commission. Providing that you are under the age of 26, you pass the aptitude test for pilot and the initial medical you should be able to progress a commissioning application. Don’t worry too much about flying clubs from the point of view of selection, it won’t make a difference apart from it being a spare time activity, secondary duty etc to mention at your filter interview.

Remember that there are a number of aircrew roles: Pilot, Weapons Systems Officer, RPAS, Weapons Systems Operator, Weapons Systems Operator (Linguist) and there is the opportunity to fly in the Air Ops branch.

Bottom line: there is the opportunity to commission or apply for SNCO positions, but concentrate on BRTC and professional training first, then consider your next move. Look at the RAF careers website or consult your local AFCO if you need more detail.
(Original post by Jonbradleyc)
Just finished my PRTC for the RAF. Going in as a Driver. I originally wanted to be a pilot but I didn't have the grades.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether there was a shot of me re-trading down the line if I got stuck into the flying club etc?

I'm not expecting to go near the fast jets or anything, aircrew at least would fulfill my ambitions!
Last edited by Fast74; 1 week ago
Surnia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why aren't you expecting this? I think you need to understand how selection works.

As for grades, what are you short on? You don't need A-levels to go for a commission from airman, but you have to meet the GCSE requirements for pilot.

Finally, you'll see threads on here about not bothering with a PPL or getting flying experience to be an RAF pilot. You want to apply to be an officer, so I recommend you look at the opportunities that give you responsibility and show leadership potential.
Jonbradleyc
Rep:
?
That's some great advice. Thanks very much for that!
(Original post by Fast74)
Once you have finished your professional training providing you have 5 GCSEs above grade C to include maths and English language you will have academic eligibility (ie you won’t need 2 A levels) to apply for a commission. Providing that you are under the age of 26, you pass the aptitude test for pilot and the initial medical you should be able to progress a commissioning application. Don’t worry too much about flying clubs from the point of view of selection, it won’t make a difference apart from it being a spare time activity, secondary duty etc to mention at your filter interview.

Remember that there are a number of aircrew roles: Pilot, Weapons Systems Officer, RPAS, Weapons Systems Operator, Weapons Systems Operator (Linguist) and there is the opportunity to fly in the Air Ops branch.

Bottom line: there is the opportunity to commission or apply for SNCO positions, but concentrate on BRTC and professional training first, then consider your next move. Look at the RAF careers website or consult your local AFCO if you need more detail.
Jonbradleyc
Rep:
?
I didn't know whether it would be a possibility after joining through a different trade. Sounds like I should brush up on the process before I think further into it.

I have Scottish standard grades, 4 at grade 3( C equivalent) and intermediate 1 maths(A).
No highers/A levels though.

That's some sound advice, I'll make sure I push myself as much as I can to show my worth. Much appreciated!
(Original post by Surnia)
Why aren't you expecting this? I think you need to understand how selection works.

As for grades, what are you short on? You don't need A-levels to go for a commission from airman, but you have to meet the GCSE requirements for pilot.

Finally, you'll see threads on here about not bothering with a PPL or getting flying experience to be an RAF pilot. You want to apply to be an officer, so I recommend you look at the opportunities that give you responsibility and show leadership potential.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I didn't know whether it would be a possibility after joining through a different trade. Sounds like I should brush up on the process before I think further into it.

I have Scottish standard grades, 4 at grade 3( C equivalent) and intermediate 1 maths(A).
No highers/A levels though.

That's some sound advice, I'll make sure I push myself as much as I can to show my worth. Much appreciated!
No, there's no restrictions, because in general terns people don't necessarily go for a commission in the trade in which they joined, so have no job-specific experience, and streaming for pilot is on ability.

Not familiar with the Scittish education system, but I think you're short on the basic education requirements for pilot, which are: "Have GCSEs at Grade C/4 or SNE at Grade 5 or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/SNE 5 in English and Maths and at least three other subjects." If it is the case, you've got a lot of catching up to do.
Jonbradleyc
Rep:
?
Yeah, sounds like it! I'm already doing my Ba hons engineering online, revisiting standard grades might be overloading myself a little.
No, there's no restrictions, because in general terns people don't necessarily go for a commission in the trade in which they joined, so have no job-specific experience, and streaming for pilot is on ability.

Not familiar with the Scittish education system, but I think you're short on the basic education requirements for pilot, which are: "Have GCSEs at Grade C/4 or SNE at Grade 5 or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/SNE 5 in English and Maths and at least three other subjects." If it is the case, you've got a lot of catching up to do.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, sounds like it! I'm already doing my Ba hons engineering online, revisiting standard grades might be overloading myself a little.
For direct applications for a commission, having a degree didn't alter the need for the required GCSEs (the reason being that you will have studied subjects in the latter in more depth). Therefore I recommend you find out asap what you would need for being commissioned from the ranks, so you can direct your efforts accordingly, especially with the age limit for pilot.

Maybe RAF_Adam can clarify or contact your AFCO.
Jonbradleyc
Rep:
?
Oh I see, didn't think about it that way. I'll get into my AFCO asap to clarify this.
For direct applications for a commission, having a degree didn't alter the need for the required GCSEs (the reason being that you will have studied subjects in the latter in more depth). Therefore I recommend you find out asap what you would need for being commissioned from the ranks, so you can direct your efforts accordingly, especially with the age limit for pilot.

Maybe RAF_Adam can clarify or contact your AFCO.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads