Stopping Driving Lessons Watch

caitlingilbert01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve been driving since February and my instructor wants me to book my test but there aren’t any available before I go to university.

I’m struggling to afford lessons because I pay for them myself and they are £40 a week which takes a chunk out my wages and I’m trying to save for university.

I’m considering stopping my driving lessons immediately so I can save for university and enjoy my summer a bit more without having to constantly stress about money.

Is this a good idea? and if so, how can I tell my instructor about it? (That’s what’s stressing me the most, because he is self-employed so I feel bad about stopping)
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by caitlingilbert01)
I’ve been driving since February and my instructor wants me to book my test but there aren’t any available before I go to university.

I’m struggling to afford lessons because I pay for them myself and they are £40 a week which takes a chunk out my wages and I’m trying to save for university.

I’m considering stopping my driving lessons immediately so I can save for university and enjoy my summer a bit more without having to constantly stress about money.

Is this a good idea? and if so, how can I tell my instructor about it? (That’s what’s stressing me the most, because he is self-employed so I feel bad about stopping)
just tell your instructor that you do not need any lessons for the time being. he will get over it.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
He's running a business, you're a customer, you're not obliged to continue purchasing the service. Most driving instructors are self employed and are used to customers cutting their lessons.
Xarao
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You're making a mistake stopping your lessons, but it's your choice.

All the lessons you've done up to this point will basically be forgotten and you'll have to go through the whole process yet again. Also, you're not going to have university running five days a week 24/7, you'll find a slot. Just book your driving test and you can change it around 3/7 times if you don't like the date/time.

Just get the driving out the way.
caitlingilbert01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Yeah I understand where you’re coming from, and I do really want to get driving out the way. The main obstacle is money. My job ends next friday (I work as a cleaner at my school) and I’m yet to find a summer job, so i’m trying to save as much as I can to help me set up for uni.

I might book my test but slow down on my lessons. I’m not sure, it’s a tricky situation
(Original post by Xarao)
You're making a mistake stopping your lessons, but it's your choice.

All the lessons you've done up to this point will basically be forgotten and you'll have to go through the whole process yet again. Also, you're not going to have university running five days a week 24/7, you'll find a slot. Just book your driving test and you can change it around 3/7 times if you don't like the date/time.

Just get the driving out the way.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I understand where you’re coming from, and I do really want to get driving out the way. The main obstacle is money. My job ends next friday (I work as a cleaner at my school) and I’m yet to find a summer job, so i’m trying to save as much as I can to help me set up for uni.

I might book my test but slow down on my lessons. I’m not sure, it’s a tricky situation
I understand. I mean driving isn't a complete necessity for it to impact your daily livelihood. However, if you can make your income work/find another job, then definitely go for it. If not, take a little pause till you have some form of income but resume straight after because it's not worth it going through the beginning again. This is me speaking from experience btw, I spent 300 quid last year on driving and just stopped because I wanted to save my money. Completely regret it now.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Keep looking and ask for cancellations. Tests get cancelled in the summer ...

You could cut down the lessons to one a fortnight and ask a parent if they will take you out.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Reduce your lessons and look for test cancellations, I found one a week out within a couple of days just by keeping an eye on the website. Loads of tests get cancelled.
KhalaMan2000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Set your priorities. Going out having fun with mates never goes over something like money for your driving test. And regarding the point where you don’t want to disappoint your instructor. It makes sense, imagine Anthony Joshua quitting boxing and ditching his coach. His coach will get over it but it’s kinda peak.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
tesconyc
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
go for cancellations
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
HZXHZX
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
forget what everyone else says! just be you lol.
40 quid doesnt seem like alot but hell it is lol!
£40 a driving lesson is too much unless it is 2 hours or an hour and a half.

but when i was driving, i just couldnt be bothered anymore and just stopped for 3-4 months.
when i came back to driving obvs i was a bit rusty, but in my opionion the drivng skills are instinctive by tghen
anonymous1231231
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
How is it 40 quid for a lesson
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Is there any way you could become a named driver on your parents car?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.67%
No I am happy with my course choice (519)
59.18%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.48%

Watched Threads