The Student Room Group

English language gcse 2019

I would be really grateful if somebody could check my description and tell me what I did wrong and how I can improve it (also a rough idea of marks it would get out of 40 and rough grade)
...He was abandoned. Abandoned to the point he needed help desperately.

Reluctantly, I edged myself closer to him, close enough that I could feel the warm burst of wheezing breeze caress my face, without my eyes leaving his face my hand glided over to his.

Silence! Was this silence one of peace or fear?

His eyes! his eyes. Eyes which I once knew as fearless diamonds , ones which hold his courageous story of fighting , war, his allegiance to our country. Instead, I felt as though I was staring into clear marble, which greyed with an almost timid look. They looked like the eyes of a frightened animal, the foldings of his lid falling over his grey iris like a curtain blocking out the light. The abandoned man was a shrivelled toothless creature, feeble and walked with a cane. He looks as though a puff of wind could blow him down. He had a hand tremor and constant waggling and bobbing of the head. The man’s deep wrinkles seemed to carve a map of his life on his still agile and mobile facial features. His twinkling eyes were framed by thick white eyebrows and on his stubbles chin where white whiskers.

My eyes climbed down the edges and curves of his face; a mosaic pattern etched with a meticulous care which could have only been carved by the sculpture of looking old.

The old man had a fringe of grey-white hair around his balding, mottled scalp. He had a wizened face and a back slightly hunched. With each movement there was the cream of old bones. He had the resigned look of one who knows that at his age life has stopped giving, and only takes away.

The unnamed abandoned man was left to die in agony and pain in the cold London streets with no university degree....
uh
maybe a grade 7. i think thats 30/40? not perfect, but good. i see some alright vocab, and some structural features as well as discourse markers. some things like personification and metaphors too.
could have done with more punctuation and senses tho. theres too much on about what u see when u couldve talked about smell or sound too.
lool abandonment yh, was this what u wrote from the actual gcse exam? if u did its done with lol so dw
Reply 2
Yes I did that for my gcse is that good though plus would that be roughly a grade 7
Original post by Omarri
Yes I did that for my gcse is that good though plus would that be roughly a grade 7

obviously it depends how u did on the rest of the exam, but by that alone probably a 7. think about what grade/marks u got in last mocks and compare it to how u think u did in gcse, u can probably predict an accurate grade for overall
Reply 4
Original post by lilTrain
could have done with more punctuation and senses tho. theres too much on about what u see when u couldve talked about smell or sound too.

Why senses? That seems overly basic.
Original post by Omarri
I would be really grateful if somebody could check my description and tell me what I did wrong and how I can improve it (also a rough idea of marks it would get out of 40 and rough grade)
...He was abandoned. Abandoned to the point he needed help desperately.

Reluctantly, I edged myself closer to him, close enough that I could feel the warm burst of wheezing breeze caress my face, without my eyes leaving his face my hand glided over to his.

Silence! Was this silence one of peace or fear?

His eyes! his eyes. Eyes which I once knew as fearless diamonds , ones which hold his courageous story of fighting , war, his allegiance to our country. Instead, I felt as though I was staring into clear marble, which greyed with an almost timid look. They looked like the eyes of a frightened animal, the foldings of his lid falling over his grey iris like a curtain blocking out the light. The abandoned man was a shrivelled toothless creature, feeble and walked with a cane. He looks as though a puff of wind could blow him down. He had a hand tremor and constant waggling and bobbing of the head. The man’s deep wrinkles seemed to carve a map of his life on his still agile and mobile facial features. His twinkling eyes were framed by thick white eyebrows and on his stubbles chin where white whiskers.

My eyes climbed down the edges and curves of his face; a mosaic pattern etched with a meticulous care which could have only been carved by the sculpture of looking old.

The old man had a fringe of grey-white hair around his balding, mottled scalp. He had a wizened face and a back slightly hunched. With each movement there was the cream of old bones. He had the resigned look of one who knows that at his age life has stopped giving, and only takes away.

The unnamed abandoned man was left to die in agony and pain in the cold London streets with no university degree....

I'm sorry if my grading seems harsh in any way but I wanted to give my honest opinion on this. Your sentences didn't have various openers and so had a bit of a repetitive feel to it. Some of the spelling and punctuation was slightly off. I liked the way you began but I feel like you missed out on a lot of places where you could have developed. The omission of the character's past was really appealing but would have been more so if you didn't refer to him as "he", "old man" or "man" as often. I've also been told that you shouldn't use ellipses at the end as it seems kinda childish and should rather be used in between sentences or as you used them at the beginning of the description. Sorry but if I was marking your story I'd probably only give it 28/40 marks but then again I can be pretty harsh at times. I love the concept and how it's written but feel like here could have been quite a few improvements so sorry. And grade wise I'd say around 6 or 7.
Reply 6
But the reason why I named him as he is because he was abandoned suggesting that he didn’t have a name
Original post by Omarri
But the reason why I named him as he is because he was abandoned suggesting that he didn’t have a name

I get what you mean but it seemed kinda repetitive, you could have added description like he who was dressed in rags etc. What you did is similar to something I did in one of my stories while I was practising my writing about some old man a girl came across repeatedly and yet knew nothing about and I was told to stop using "he" and "man" and refer to him in other ways.
Reply 8
Original post by Light_Owlette
I get what you mean but it seemed kinda repetitive, you could have added description like he who was dressed in rags etc. What you did is similar to something I did in one of my stories while I was practising my writing about some old man a girl came across repeatedly and yet knew nothing about and I was told to stop using "he" and "man" and refer to him in other ways.

This story is about a abandoned man
Original post by Omarri
This story is about a abandoned man

Yeah I get that I guess it feels overly repetitive, like maybe you didn't need to write as many "he"s in the first place as the reader would get the gist of it and who you're talking about earlier on as there weren't really any other characters you could confuse it with. And I'm really sorry if my judgement comes out harsh or rude, I really don't mean it in that way.
Reply 10
Yeah I get that I guess it feels overly repetitive, like maybe you didn't need to write as many "he"s in the first place as the reader would get the gist of it and who you're talking about earlier on as there weren't really any other characters you could confuse it with. And I'm really sorry if my judgement comes out harsh or rude, I really don't mean it in that way.

No I understand but you know this piece can it be considered as a story
Original post by Omarri
No I understand but you know this piece can it be considered as a story

Well yeah sure it can, I mean it has the foundation of a story. It includes description, a tense inn which it is set and both actions and thoughts which would make it a good base for a story.
Reply 12

So what grade would you give that roughly
Original post by Omarri
So what grade would you give that roughly

I'd have given it roughly 26 marks which would most likely be a grade 6 but it could potentially be a grade 7 depending on the rest of the paper. But that story alone, I'm sorry but, in my opinion would only be a top end grade 6.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending