04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

Her Majesty's Government

Parliament XXIX
Announced Cabinet members so far:
04MR17 - Prime Minister (Liberal Democrat)
JMR2019. - Deputy Prime Minister, Chancellor of the Exchequer (Labour)
(and deputy chief whip)
TheRadishPrince - Home Secretary (Liberal Democrat)
(and chief whip)
Saracen's Fez - Foreign Secretary (Liberal Democrat)
SoggyCabbages - Secretary of State for Defence (Labour)
Bailey14 - Secretary of State for Health (Labour)
Jarred - Secretary of State for Education (Liberal Democrat)

CoffeeAndPolitics - Secretary of State for Environmental Affairs (Liberal Democrat)
BosslyGaming - Secretary of State for Justice (Labour)
barnetlad - SoS for Culture, Media and Sport (Independent)

Joleee - Chief Secretary to the Treasury (Liberal Democrat)
shadowdweller - Minister for Equalities (Liberal Democrat)

Hello there, this is a thread for the TSR government within the Model House of Commons. If you're new here feel free to check it out and ask us any questions. :awesome: If you fancy joining a TSR political party, click here.

As you may have guessed, I am currently the TSR Prime Minister. :giggle: You can ask other cabinet members questions about their policy areas in this thread.
Last edited by 04MR17; 4 days ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
How is it solving Brexit?
What are its new spending pledges like Boris and Hunt?
Who will be the new ambassador to the US?
Will we have a no deal brexit?
When is the next election?
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
How is it solving Brexit?
What are its new spending pledges like Boris and Hunt?
Who will be the new ambassador to the US?
Will we have a no deal brexit?
When is the next election?
I'll answer these easiest to hardest:

- When is the next election?
The next general election will either be in December, since TSR parliaments last 6 months; or it'll be whenever I choose to call one before then. Which is unlikely at present.
By elections occur when someone loses a seat through not voting enough. This can't be within the next 5 weeks as voting reviews happen every 6 weeks.

- Will we have a no deal Brexit?
The TSR referendum this year on Brexit supported remain. I therefore can't see a feasibility to be supporting no deal Brexit here.

- How is it solving Brexit?
By it I assume you mean the government? In may ways it's not something that we can solve on TSR. MHoC isn't part of a Model EU here (although it nearly was a few years back) so we don't have anything equivalent to exit from. This makes debating the topic in the camber or legislating on it very difficult, so it's not really done.

- Who will be the new ambassador to the US?
This is something that the Foreign Secretary and I will be discussing very soon. I can say with some certainty that I'm ruling out Mr Farage. I can't really comment much further at present.

- What are its new spending pledges like Boris and Hunt?
In the Liberal Democrat (and Labour) manifesto both parties pledged to give £6bn to the NHS. More spending plans will be announced by the Chancellor of the Exchequer and/or in a Queens' speech. Too early to say much more than that I'm afraid.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 month ago
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)

The next general election will either be in December, since TSR parliaments last 6 months; or it'll be whenever I choose to call one before then. Which is unlikely at present.
By elections occur when someone loses a seat through not voting enough. This can't be within the next 5 weeks as voting reviews happen every 6 weeks.

The TSR referendum this year on Brexit supported remain. I therefore can't see a feasibility to be supporting no deal Brexit here.

By it I assume you mean the government? In may ways it's not something that we can solve on TSR. MHoC isn't part of a Model EU here (although it nearly was a few years back) so we don't have anything equivalent to exit from. This makes debating the topic in the camber or legislating on it very difficult, so it's not really done.

This is something that the Foreign Secretary and I will be discussing very soon. I can say with some certainty that I'm ruling out Mr Farage. I can't really comment much further at present.

In the Liberal Democrat (and Labour) manifesto both parties pledged to give £6bn to the NHS. More spending plans will be announced by the Chancellor of the Exchequer and/or in a Queens' speech. Too early to say much more than that I'm afraid.
Good answers and satisfied with those responses. +1.
yaseen1000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Would you back the abolishment of the monarchy and replace the monarchy with a elected head of state ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by yaseen1000)
Would you back the abolishment of the monarchy and replace the monarchy with a elected head of state ?
For a start I should make clear that the government has no official position on is issue at present.

Me personally? I don't feel very strongly on the issue. I don't think the Royal Family is a particularly awful img for the country, and I like that we're a pretty good and longstanding example of a constitutional democracy with a monarchy superimposed over the top, please forgive my blunt phrasing. However, I can also sympathise with those who see the royal family as a waste of time and resources, and perhaps represents the wrong sorts of things in terms of authority, power, status and so on. I feel that if parliament were to legislate to remove the royal family then they'd likely be awarded with massive financial concessions anyway so the topic of their wealth isn't something I can anticipate changing.

As of the head of state, it could certainly work on TSR in an MHoC context but I'm not somebody who could occupy that role, now or in the future.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally I would not, for the tradition it brings, and that I believe there are people who visit the country or spend more time and money as visitors from overseas because of the monarchy. I think partly this is affection for the Queen personally for the dignified way in which she has been during her long reign. There is no common idea amongst those who would prefer a republic as to the kind of head of state we would have, should an elected one be chosen instead. This was demonstrated in Australia where the proposal for an Australian head of state was defeated, as much because the alternative did not find approval amongst many people.
Satyr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you increase funding for everything and increase national debt like everyone wants?
yaseen1000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For a start I should make clear that the government has no official position on is issue at present.

Me personally? I don't feel very strongly on the issue. I don't think the Royal Family is a particularly awful img for the country, and I like that we're a pretty good and longstanding example of a constitutional democracy with a monarchy superimposed over the top, please forgive my blunt phrasing. However, I can also sympathise with those who see the royal family as a waste of time and resources, and perhaps represents the wrong sorts of things in terms of authority, power, status and so on. I feel that if parliament were to legislate to remove the royal family then they'd likely be awarded with massive financial concessions anyway so the topic of their wealth isn't something I can anticipate changing.

As of the head of state, it could certainly work on TSR in an MHoC context but I'm not somebody who could occupy that role, now or in the future.
Is it possible that you could hold a referendum on the issue on TSR ?
yaseen1000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Satyr)
Could you increase funding for everything and increase national debt like everyone wants?
If the government was to increase national funding it would increase national debt , HOWEVER if they used their borrowed money to invest in the infrastructure the economy would start to grow at a faster rate . As long as our increase GDP due to investment was greater than our increase in debt ( as a percentage of our GDP) than the the percentage of debt to GDP would fall. As long as the percentage of debt as GDP is below 100% borrowing money should be fine for the economy. Sorry for the long response.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do government members think of this story? https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-based-reforms
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally, I wouldn't back the abolishment of the monarchy and replace the monarchy with an elected Head of State since I don't have any strong views on this matter and I think the Royal Family does a great job. However, I do acknowledge and sympathise with those who may think that the Royal Family are simply a waste of resources and time etc.
Satyr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If the government was to increase national funding it would increase national debt , HOWEVER if they used their borrowed money to invest in the infrastructure the economy would start to grow at a faster rate . As long as our increase GDP due to investment was greater than our increase in debt ( as a percentage of our GDP) than the the percentage of debt to GDP would fall. As long as the percentage of debt as GDP is below 100% borrowing money should be fine for the economy. Sorry for the long response.
You should actually become to the next PM
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Satyr)
In addition to my fellow colleague's comments on increasing funding, it's my personal believe that we must be cautious and sensible with our economic policy and to not leave the economy in disarray. As such, increases in public expenditure should be funded by a mixture of taxes, some borrowing and occassionally making cuts to other departments (not front line services!) and we must ensure that at any cost, we keep borrowing down. This is because the more we borrow, the more interest we have to pay back as national debt which subsequently worsens national debt and we want to be in a position to reduce national debt by as much as possible.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
What do government members think of this story? https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-based-reforms
With regards to the newspaper article you've linked, I personally think that it's right that our real life counterparts are considering to give prision chiefs the power to award inmates with privileges subject to good behaviour. However, I still have reservations about this proposal because it's quite vague what government ministers mean by 'good behaviour' and whether this specifically applies to inmates who are sentenced for minor offences or the most serious of offences.

Anyways, the government's policy on prisons is to lower expenditure on prisons by sentencing more minor first time offenders to community service and ending imprisonment of people possessing drugs for personal use because through this, we anticipate that minor first time offenders will learn the consequences of their actions as opposed to being thrown into prison and sentenced for a short period without necessarily learning the consequences of their actions and the likelihood of re-offending is likely to be much higher (I don't have stats to hand as I only intend to give a quick response).
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it possible that you could hold a referendum on the issue on TSR ?
This should be possible just like with the EU referendum that was recently held in the MHoC.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
With regards to the newspaper article you've linked, I personally think that it's right that our real life counterparts are considering to give prision chiefs the power to award inmates with privileges subject to good behaviour. However, I still have reservations about this proposal because it's quite vague what government ministers mean by 'good behaviour' and whether this specifically applies to inmates who are sentenced for minor offences or the most serious of offences.

Anyways, the government's policy on prisons is to lower expenditure on prisons by sentencing more minor first time offenders to community service and ending imprisonment of people possessing drugs for personal use because through this, we anticipate that minor first time offenders will learn the consequences of their actions as opposed to being thrown into prison and sentenced for a short period without necessarily learning the consequences of their actions and the likelihood of re-offending is likely to be much higher (I don't have stats to hand as I only intend to give a quick response).
I advocated that there should be the possibility of digital sanctions as one form of non-custodial sentence, as part of my election manifesto. This should be researched to see what could be effective, what could be enforceable, and for what crimes. Many parts of our life are digital not analogue, as it were.
yaseen1000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
In addition to my fellow colleague's comments on increasing funding, it's my personal believe that we must be cautious and sensible with our economic policy and to not leave the economy in disarray. As such, increases in public expenditure should be funded by a mixture of taxes, some borrowing and occassionally making cuts to other departments (not front line services!) and we must ensure that at any cost, we keep borrowing down. This is because the more we borrow, the more interest we have to pay back as national debt which subsequently worsens national debt and we want to be in a position to reduce national debt by as much as possible.
If the government pursue high level of borrowing and invest this money in infrastructure it will in the long run lead to more revenue for the government and thus more money to spend in the economy , the interest on any additional borrowing will be a mere fraction compared to the additional government revenue in the long run and thus I believe the government should pursue expansionary fiscal policy ( Keynesian economics ).
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If the government pursue high level of borrowing and invest this money in infrastructure it will in the long run lead to more revenue for the government and thus more money to spend in the economy , the interest on any additional borrowing will be a mere fraction compared to the additional government revenue in the long run and thus I believe the government should pursue expansionary fiscal policy ( Keynesian economics ).
Yes that is true.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
04MR17 Just a reminder for you to edit the OP to include the Cabinet list.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%