Difference between cheap and expensive breakdown cover? Watch

Motormanical
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What is the difference between cheap breakdown cover and more expensive cover?

If I look at the table below for example, there are big differences in prices between companies for what seems like the same level of cover.

Am I missing something?
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Motormanical)

If I look at the table below for example, there are big differences in prices between companies for what seems like the same level of cover.

Breakdown Cover Prices

Am I missing something?
The quality of service would be my first guess
Motormanical
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
In what way though? Either they come and fix my car or they don’t. Are you saying some companies don’t turn up?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
The quality of service would be my first guess
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Would guess the cheap ones employ fewer people to answer the phones meaning you're going to be on hold for longer.
Mostly they're going to use 3rd party subcontractors to come out and repair your car. If they're penny pinching those guys could be that you"ll be treated as a lower priority.

Only so many ways these companies can cut their costs really imo.

In what way though? Either they come and fix my car or they don’t. Are you saying some companies don’t turn up?
Last edited by Joinedup; 6 days ago
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yeah frankly i've never heard of or seen any of the other ones on the list than AA/RAC which doesn't speak well for their coverage. Less staff/vehicles means you're likely waiting longer. btw the cheaper ones have small print and excess charges..I simply do not think it is economically viable to offer useful breakdown cover at £1 a month. I'd suspect many of these were simply glorified towing insurance, not repair.

As Joinedup said, it'll likely be a mess of contractors and indies, all with different rules and all unwilling to accept responsibilities.

Reminds me of QuickFit ect, they don't make their money with cheap servicing and free health checks....they make their money by absolutely reaming you out with overpriced, badly done VITAL REPAIRS! when they've got you at mercy, which mysteriously aren't covered by any of these advertised promotional rates.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

Am I missing something?
The likes of the AA, RAC, and Green Flag all have their own fleet of vehicles.

Everyone else will just subcontract out to local recovery companies in your area.

I personally pay a ludicrously low amount to AXA (like £15 a year or something) for the top coverage (excluding the EU).
Motormanical
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
The likes of the AA, RAC, and Green Flag all have their own fleet of vehicles.

Everyone else will just subcontract out to local recovery companies in your area.

I personally pay a ludicrously low amount to AXA (like £15 a year or something) for the top coverage (excluding the EU).
Ok yeah that makes sense. They don’t have their own people and vans etc. They just use local garages. Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads