desperately needing advice finance and reference Watch

jetblackbaby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
To try to cut a story short im a mum who needs help. My daughter failed a final exam at the very end of her second year. Her university enrolled her for her 3rd year, even though she still had a fail from the second. She took the exam again at the very start of the third year and failed again. The uni then told her she could not complete. They took finance for 2 years. After seven months of battling to try to reinstate funding, they refused. My family has raised money for my daughter to complete at another university for her 2nd year retake and her third year. Is this correct that the uni can do this, to enroll a student for a new year if they have had a fail from the previous year and to take funding? Now the situation is worse. Her place is ready for September at the new uni. She has asked for her reference and referral and the uni have said they no longer have her records and refused. She tried and tried to get the old uni to send it and got the new uni to try. Still no acknowledgment. The new uni will not take her without this and want it by the end of the week. She has been cut off from contacting the old uni and will loose her place and will no longer be able to complete her education . What do we do? I live miles away do I go up and ask to speak to the principal help help help!!!
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You might do better to repost this naming uni as you will get more replies. Is it not SFE who decides about funding. @tigger999 you about
(Original post by jetblackbaby)
To try to cut a story short im a mum who needs help. My daughter failed a final exam at the very end of her second year. Her university enrolled her for her 3rd year, even though she still had a fail from the second. She took the exam again at the very start of the third year and failed again. The uni then told her she could not complete. They took finance for 2 years. After seven months of battling to try to reinstate funding, they refused. My family has raised money for my daughter to complete at another university for her 2nd year retake and her third year. Is this correct that the uni can do this, to enroll a student for a new year if they have had a fail from the previous year and to take funding? Now the situation is worse. Her place is ready for September at the new uni. She has asked for her reference and referral and the uni have said they no longer have her records and refused. She tried and tried to get the old uni to send it and got the new uni to try. Still no acknowledgment. The new uni will not take her without this and want it by the end of the week. She has been cut off from contacting the old uni and will loose her place and will no longer be able to complete her education . What do we do? I live miles away do I go up and ask to speak to the principal help help help!!!
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jetblackbaby)
You cant really expect to get answers at 2am.

Is this an English Uni?
How many years student finance has she had?
How many other degree or foundation courses has your daughter done?
From the post it seems year 1 + year 2 + possible start year 3, but they have only used fees for years 1 and 2?
Is the subject she failed the same as the one she wants for the new course?
Is she expecting to start the new course in year 1 or year 2?

I dont see why you were fighting to reinstate funding?

It is difficult to make sense of what you are attempting to do.

You need to tell us the uni.
What has your daughter being doing all this time? Has she seen a student advisor?

My interpretation.
I will assume it is an English uni, if not it could be completely different.
1. She has never tried another course and there was no foundation course, IT matters because it affects finance.
2. She starts mystery course and she passes year 1. What did she get?
3. She does year 2, but fails one module which prevents her progressing to year 3.
4. They let her have a resit at start of year 3. She fails again. Why is she failing? What is the reason?
5. As she has failed they have another meeting and the usual solution is a retake of 1 module including lectures although some courses and unis have a different system and they can withdraw you. Think of things like nursing and vet nursing.
6. In any event you are saying in year neither your daughter or the uni took any money from student finance. 0. Neither fees or maintenance or did she? If she took any money then thats a years finance from entitlement and a fatal mistake.
7. The new uni are agreeing to take her based on her passing year 1, so they can let her into year 2. It is entirely down to the uni.
8. The way the old uni is behaving sounds very odd and incorrect. They will not have lost her records in 2 years. She needs to talk to a student adviser, registry or her tutor. If they wont speak then make a complaint.
9. I dont believe the old uni can refuse, so complain plus contact registry for a transcript. Presumably she is just using first year grades and new uni are ok with this.
10 What she needs is her first year scores and possibly a certhe to show she completed year 1. Ask the new uni if that is sufficient.
11. They should not be being difficult in handing this over. It sounds very odd.
12. Just get on the phone and keep asking till they provide it.

If she starts the new course then she can still get a maint loan, just not the fees if she has used 3 years of finance up.
Sfe should pay for her final year.

Thats as much sense as I can make of it and there are a number of areas that could change things.
Just chase it up and if you have new information then post it.
Cant suggest any more as its an incomplete picture. Time to sleep.
Scotney
David B
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Individuals can now be funded for second degrees if they fall into the exception course category. I believe this is also applicable if they do not finish their degree. If I'm 100% correct, this means that depending on the course your daughter wishes to do, then she could be funded. However. these can only be studied part-time.

These are the following subjects:
- Engineering
- computer science
- Technologies
- Subjects Allied to Medicine
- Biologicial Sciences
- Veterinary sciences, agricultural & related subjects
- physical sciences
- mathematical sciences
- NHS courses
- PGCE courses
999tigger
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Scotney)
You might do better to repost this naming uni as you will get more replies. Is it not SFE who decides about funding. @tigger999 you about
I think there are multiple issues to do with both the uni and sfe and to get an accurate assessment someone would need those further details.
It sounds unclear and irregular. Its why interviewing someone is more effective.
999tigger
Report 6 days ago
OP if you make a post early in the morning and someone spends the time trying to help you, then its normal to respond and read what they have written plus provide the information that has been requested. That is if you or your daughter actually want advice. I shall assume you do not and leave it at that.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Sorry for the late tag I was in fact just about to log out when I saw it. I just felt a bit sorry for her but it all just sounded very strange as you say. So many questions and still no answers from OP. You were the best one for the job though.

(Original post by 999tigger)
I think there are multiple issues to do with both the uni and sfe and to get an accurate assessment someone would need those further details.
It sounds unclear and irregular. Its why interviewing someone is more effective.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Weird we just crossed posted there thinking the same thing! Why ask for help if you do not want it. Thank you from me anyway!
Sorry for the late tag I was in fact just about to log out when I saw it. I just felt a bit sorry for her but it all just sounded very strange as you say. So many questions and still no answers from OP. You were the best one for the job though.
OP if you make a post early in the morning and someone spends the time trying to help you, then its normal to respond and read what they have written plus provide the information that has been requested. That is if you or your daughter actually want advice. I shall assume you do not and leave it at that.
999tigger
Report 6 days ago
Id gone to bed, got up, then saw your post which made me feel guilty, which then made me think about something I didnt want to. Replace best with stupid enough.
I think I identified the issues, but there are big gaps and that information makes a big difference, there was definitely scope to solve the situation. Some of the claimed behaviour was odd.
Its always at the weekend late at night when suddenly things become urgent.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
So true!
Id gone to bed, got up, then saw your post which made me feel guilty, which then made me think about something I didnt want to. Replace best with stupid enough.
I think I identified the issues, but there are big gaps and that information makes a big difference, there was definitely scope to solve the situation. Some of the claimed behaviour was odd.
Its always at the weekend late at night when suddenly things become urgent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads