LeahFernandez
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm doing higher combined science GCSE and I really want to get a 8 or a 9 if possible (i know it's hard I just really want to aim for it) any advice? It would really help
Shazington
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
According to me, I believe you should first learn the specification- it literally tells you what you need to know. On top of that, you may want to have a handy revision guide or a full-on student book (for example, if you're AQA, the oxford AQA GCSE books). These books will provide you with the explanations needed to understand the main concepts and teach you the vague specification points. Once you've drilled the wordings and what you need to know, in the form you need to know it, from the specification (and your handy revision guide), you can move onto exam style questions. I prefer using 'physicsandmathtutor.com' but you may also opt for similar websites such as 'singhscience.co.uk'. Answering these exam style questions will not only provide you with a heads up on the types of questions you will be asked, but will also teach you how mark schemes are structured and what examiners are looking for: the difference between a grade 8 and a grade 9 can be just 1 mark, and that 1 mark can come from this one specific word you need to know.

Once you've built up the fundamental concepts of the ides you need to know, you may proceed to read outside of the specification (try not to go too in detail, for example, ending up learning the quantum mechanical model of the atom for no reason). That's it! In my honest opinion, as long as the basic notions from the specification are clear and you have a deep conceptual understanding of them, getting an 8 or even a 9 won't be that hard.

Then again, all of this is coming from a year 10 student; take that last comment lightly.
LIY4NA_9
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You must be in year 10 going to year 11 right? Now is the perfect time to revise and get everything up to speed.

To get an 8 or 9 I'd suggest using this summer holidays to go over year 10 topics you've covered and highlight the parts that you "fully understand", "sort of know" and "have no clue" - maybe a topics list would be great and you can Red, Amber, Green them.

Then obviously you want to try and learn them again and some great tools are:
> Bitesize GCSE
> Combined Science AQA (9-1) Student Book (my exam board was AQA)
> Exam Practice Papers (CGP)
> https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-science-revision/

For me personally, I prefer to make flashcards and posters because I enjoyed making them and it's kind of nice to look at with all the bright colours, so it was easier for all of it to get stuck in my head (especially for equations!). I simply used my class notes for this rather than doing anything online, because the "different exam board things" used to confuse me.

When you go back to school after summer, you'd then know what topics you couldn't understand and also what you could. Consult with your teacher and tell them about it - and also tell them you're aiming for an 8 or 9 (because then they'll push you more in lessons). When you don't understand some things in a lesson do not be afraid to ask for help - if you don't prefer doing so in the lesson then maybe after the lesson. It's better looking "stupid" for a second than being "stupid" forever.

Also, don't beat yourself up about it too much. When you're relaxed it's easier to learn. Good luck for your GCSEs!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (214)
52.97%
No (190)
47.03%

Watched Threads