The Student Room Group

University portfolio help?

So I want to try and apply for animation at university next year. There are a few universities that I am really interested by but I do have concerns that I might not be able to get in. I currently do Graphic Design, History and Government and Politics at A level and have an AS in English Language and Literature. I don't do Fine Art however most of the universities are happy with some art and design based course and a strong portfolio. So I know a lot of emphasis will be on my university portfolio.

I know roughly what I want to include within my portfolio. I have some portrait work, some animal drawings (both of these are realistic. I have these in both traditional and digital media) and a design I did in Graphics which I won an award for (Really proud of this piece but it also demonstrates skills in Illustrator and Photoshop, which I know seems to be required by a few universities). I am doing an EPQ this summer which is an animatic which needs to be done by November but should be complete by the time I go for interviews at university. I am hoping to do a loop animation or two, something like a walk cycle or something and if I have the time I wanted to animate a few parts of the animatic. I was also considering doing some environment design as well, possibly.

Here are my main concerns. Any advice?

-I have no idea how to layout my portfolio. A lot of the universities want an online submission, some want a physical one. I don't know where to begin with either. How would I lay this out? Any advice?

-Sketchbooks. This seems to be something that the universities mention. My main problem is that I don't have all my work consistently in one place so different projects are likely to get muddled. Would it be ok for me to photograph the pages? A lot of these aren't loose and I am worried that some of my work might be considered too weak. For example, in my portrait work, I have some earlier versions of my work with oils but these are quite underdeveloped but in the same sketchbook as other more developed ones. Should I take the whole sketchbook and just not show the underdeveloped ones? I did have plans to have a photobook printed of my sketchbook work and have that as a supporting document to my boards or my other work.

-Life drawing? So that's something that's also mentioned a lot. I don't really have experience with that. My college doesn't offer the relevant class and even if it did it would be a struggle for me to fit in with my timetable. Is it alright to just draw people I see in life? I know some universities do say that clothed is fine. Is this something I really need to include? If I were to include this, I'd use this as a support to my portrait projects as I feel like this is where this fits in best.

Answers greatly appreciated and any other advice?
Also, I really don't know if I'm posting this in the right place.
I am going into A2 and want to go down this route too so I know a portfolio will be required. If it's online, maybe take screenshots?
Your sketchbook should be your actual sketchbook not an edited version. A variety of work is expected. A sketchbook isn’t a portfolio - there will be things in there that didn’t work out well as well as things you like. The idea is to demonstrate your research and development process before finalising a piece.

By live drawing universities mean observational drawing - drawing 3d people and objects from life not using photo references. For animation particularly being able to represent 3d objects and people in 2 dimensions is a key skill
The specifics may differ a bit from University to University but here is the advice from a lecturer on the 2D Animation Course at University of Hertfordshire:

Portfolio Advice: BA(Hons) 2D Digital Animation & Character for Digital Media

Hopefully that will help to answer some of your queries.
Original post by Lumi172
So I want to try and apply for animation at university next year. There are a few universities that I am really interested by but I do have concerns that I might not be able to get in. I currently do Graphic Design, History and Government and Politics at A level and have an AS in English Language and Literature. I don't do Fine Art however most of the universities are happy with some art and design based course and a strong portfolio. So I know a lot of emphasis will be on my university portfolio.

I know roughly what I want to include within my portfolio. I have some portrait work, some animal drawings (both of these are realistic. I have these in both traditional and digital media) and a design I did in Graphics which I won an award for (Really proud of this piece but it also demonstrates skills in Illustrator and Photoshop, which I know seems to be required by a few universities). I am doing an EPQ this summer which is an animatic which needs to be done by November but should be complete by the time I go for interviews at university. I am hoping to do a loop animation or two, something like a walk cycle or something and if I have the time I wanted to animate a few parts of the animatic. I was also considering doing some environment design as well, possibly.

Here are my main concerns. Any advice?

-I have no idea how to layout my portfolio. A lot of the universities want an online submission, some want a physical one. I don't know where to begin with either. How would I lay this out? Any advice?

-Sketchbooks. This seems to be something that the universities mention. My main problem is that I don't have all my work consistently in one place so different projects are likely to get muddled. Would it be ok for me to photograph the pages? A lot of these aren't loose and I am worried that some of my work might be considered too weak. For example, in my portrait work, I have some earlier versions of my work with oils but these are quite underdeveloped but in the same sketchbook as other more developed ones. Should I take the whole sketchbook and just not show the underdeveloped ones? I did have plans to have a photobook printed of my sketchbook work and have that as a supporting document to my boards or my other work.

-Life drawing? So that's something that's also mentioned a lot. I don't really have experience with that. My college doesn't offer the relevant class and even if it did it would be a struggle for me to fit in with my timetable. Is it alright to just draw people I see in life? I know some universities do say that clothed is fine. Is this something I really need to include? If I were to include this, I'd use this as a support to my portrait projects as I feel like this is where this fits in best.

Answers greatly appreciated and any other advice?
Also, I really don't know if I'm posting this in the right place.
Hey! My portfolio got me a place at several art unis

Some general advice
It’s worth investing in a nice, good quality portfolio, A3/A2 in size with plastic wallets. I got mine for £16 off a special art website (can’t remember its name) and got extra plastic wallets from The Range. Interviewers complimented the quality of my presentation so it’s important for making a good impression.
Layout-put your best pieces first and last, and then dot other strong pieces throughout to keep the level up. Strongest piece goes first. Try to create a tone throughout- it should flow well. So have life drawings together, moving onto portrait, then still life, then landscape, then conceptual (for example).
Include several (2-4) life drawing sketch pages of figures, nude, clothed, animals. If you don’t have access to life classes you can find free images online which have times sessions to keep your pace up. I used both life drawing classes and the internet. (Sketchdaily)

I included 1 small personal sketchbook with gallery work, artist research and little drawings, and a couple of development sketchbooks which showed more refined research and design development from my graphic design classes-which showed process leading up to final pieces I also included in the portfolio. Take whole sketchbooks and put sticky notes / bookmark best pages so they can be found easier.

Draw what interests you. You have to be able to discuss your work thoroughly and passionately.

Include rough sketches, full completed and detailed pieces, and a range of pieces in a variety of media to showcase a wide ability.

Pinterest/tumblr style work is boring and not creative-try not to include much of this

Also refer to each unis website to see what each looks for individually.

Hope this helpsssss
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending