Missed conditions :( Watch

username4368088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#1
I missed both my firm and insurance offer, but my application has been put on holding by both unis - Imperial and Kings respectively. I got 6, 5, 4 in english, biology and chemistry. My offer for KCL was 665 - i’m planning on getting biology remarked, chemistry is too risky to remark according to my school. QM already offered me a place in clearing however I told them I can’t take the offer just yet because I don’t have my remarks and I haven’t been rejected - should I wait until alevels are out to hear back from them, or take the offer from QM? What are my chances?
0
reply
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#2
Report 1 month ago
#2
(Original post by jennama24)
I missed both my firm and insurance offer, but my application has been put on holding by both unis - Imperial and Kings respectively. I got 6, 5, 4 in english, biology and chemistry. My offer for KCL was 665 - i’m planning on getting biology remarked, chemistry is too risky to remark according to my school. QM already offered me a place in clearing however I told them I can’t take the offer just yet because I don’t have my remarks and I haven’t been rejected - should I wait until alevels are out to hear back from them, or take the offer from QM? What are my chances?
It's likely they d put you on hold till a levels have come out, if that's the case you have to decide how much you want to risk it , did QM give you a deadline on the offer?
0
reply
username4368088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#3
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#3
They gave me the offer Monday until yesterday - I called them yesterday telling them I’m expecting remarks and need to wait before making a decision. They said I can still call until July 29th to see if the offer is still standing - she said it should be still there. For both imperial and kings i have to wait until the 15th august
(Original post by claireestelle)
It's likely they d put you on hold till a levels have come out, if that's the case you have to decide how much you want to risk it , did QM give you a deadline on the offer?
Last edited by username4368088; 1 month ago
0
reply
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#4
Report 1 month ago
#4
(Original post by jennama24)
They gave me the offer Monday until yesterday - I called them yesterday telling them I’m expecting remarks and need to wait before making a decision. They said I can still call until July 29th to see if the offer is still standing - she said it should be still there. For both imperial and kings i have to wait until the 15th august
Do you see yourself being happy at QM? With a positive remark you d still be a grade off and if a lot of people meet their a level offer then they might not give you a place.
0
reply
username4368088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#5
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#5
(Original post by claireestelle)
Do you see yourself being happy at QM? With a positive remark you d still be a grade off and if a lot of people meet their a level offer then they might not give you a place.
I personally never considered QMs - if I were to take this offer in this moment in time I worry I’m saying no to Kings at the very least. It is a great uni, but I don’t know if it’s for me (but again I don’t think I’m in the position to be specific)
0
reply
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#6
Report 1 month ago
#6
(Original post by jennama24)
I personally never considered QMs - if I were to take this offer in this moment in time I worry I’m saying no to Kings at the very least. It is a great uni, but I don’t know if it’s for me (but again I don’t think I’m in the position to be specific)
Do more research into qm then you re most informed, as kings didn't accept you straight off, there's no guarantees come a level results day
0
reply
username4368088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#7
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#7
(Original post by claireestelle)
Do more research into qm then you re most informed, as kings didn't accept you straight off, there's no guarantees come a level results day
What do you think chances are on alevels clearing wise?
0
reply
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#8
Report 1 month ago
#8
(Original post by jennama24)
I missed both my firm and insurance offer, but my application has been put on holding by both unis - Imperial and Kings respectively. I got 6, 5, 4 in english, biology and chemistry. My offer for KCL was 665 - i’m planning on getting biology remarked, chemistry is too risky to remark according to my school. QM already offered me a place in clearing however I told them I can’t take the offer just yet because I don’t have my remarks and I haven’t been rejected - should I wait until alevels are out to hear back from them, or take the offer from QM? What are my chances?
Did QM give you a deadline to add your offer to clearing? This is very common, and it may well fall before A-level results day.

It's really tough to say what your chances will be on A-level results day, as it will partly depend on what other students do in their A-levels. I definitely think it's a good idea to wait for your remarks before taking any action, and I would keep looking around to see what's available in clearing too.

When your remarks come through, I would also speak to both of your unis directly and discuss the situation in more detail. Ask them what your realistic chances of getting an offer are on A-level results day, and explain that you are looking at clearing choices elsewhere, and really want to make firm plans, but also reiterate that you're very keen on their universities.

Depending on subject, I would say your chances at Imperial are relatively slim, as it's a very competitive university, but you might have more of a chance at KCL- but equally they may be more likely to let in "near misses" who made them their firm choice.

Being in limbo like this does suck, so do keep an eye on clearing in case you see something in there that you're really keen on.

At the very least, I would tell both unis that if they aren't going to accept you on A-level results day, you want them to make you unsuccessful very promptly on that day so you have a good chance of getting offers via clearing.
0
reply
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
#9
Report 1 month ago
#9
(Original post by jennama24)
What do you think chances are on alevels clearing wise?
there's no way to be sure, depends how many people miss their offers.
0
reply
username4368088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#10
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#10
QM gave me until July 29 to reapply and give them a confirmed answer. I'm hoping the remarks come out positive so my chances at KCL are larger.
My biggest question though are my transfer options - if I don't want to continue at QM for example do I have the option to transfer to either of my selected unis? How can I find out more about this?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Did QM give you a deadline to add your offer to clearing? This is very common, and it may well fall before A-level results day.

It's really tough to say what your chances will be on A-level results day, as it will partly depend on what other students do in their A-levels. I definitely think it's a good idea to wait for your remarks before taking any action, and I would keep looking around to see what's available in clearing too.

When your remarks come through, I would also speak to both of your unis directly and discuss the situation in more detail. Ask them what your realistic chances of getting an offer are on A-level results day, and explain that you are looking at clearing choices elsewhere, and really want to make firm plans, but also reiterate that you're very keen on their universities.

Depending on subject, I would say your chances at Imperial are relatively slim, as it's a very competitive university, but you might have more of a chance at KCL- but equally they may be more likely to let in "near misses" who made them their firm choice.

Being in limbo like this does suck, so do keep an eye on clearing in case you see something in there that you're really keen on.

At the very least, I would tell both unis that if they aren't going to accept you on A-level results day, you want them to make you unsuccessful very promptly on that day so you have a good chance of getting offers via clearing.
0
reply
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#11
Report 1 month ago
#11
(Original post by jennama24)
QM gave me until July 29 to reapply and give them a confirmed answer. I'm hoping the remarks come out positive so my chances at KCL are larger.
My biggest question though are my transfer options - if I don't want to continue at QM for example do I have the option to transfer to either of my selected unis? How can I find out more about this?
Maybe- uni transfers are at the discretion of individual unis. You'd need to discuss this with Imperial and KCL.

That's a pretty generous deadline from QM, do you have that in writing? Does that give you time to get your remark done?
0
reply
username4368088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#12
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#12
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Maybe- uni transfers are at the discretion of individual unis. You'd need to discuss this with Imperial and KCL.

That's a pretty generous deadline from QM, do you have that in writing? Does that give you time to get your remark done?
I don't, but she said since I couldn't accept the initial offer of last monday to this friday. I could still reapply before July 29th and they would write in my file that I'm getting remarks. However, I would still have to reapply. She said the places shouldn't disappear between then. After that they won't be able to give any clearing offers until a level results are out.
0
reply
username4368088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#13
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#13
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Maybe- uni transfers are at the discretion of individual unis. You'd need to discuss this with Imperial and KCL.

That's a pretty generous deadline from QM, do you have that in writing? Does that give you time to get your remark done?
I don't, but she said since I couldn't accept the initial offer of last monday to this friday. I could still reapply before July 29th and they would write in my file that I'm getting remarks. However, I would still have to reapply. She said the places shouldn't disappear between then. After that they won't be able to give any clearing offers until a level results are out.
0
reply
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#14
Report 1 month ago
#14
(Original post by jennama24)
I don't, but she said since I couldn't accept the initial offer of last monday to this friday. I could still reapply before July 29th and they would write in my file that I'm getting remarks. However, I would still have to reapply. She said the places shouldn't disappear between then. After that they won't be able to give any clearing offers until a level results are out.
Ah, I see.

That's a pain as it means you can't 100% rely on the QM offer being there.

If you're happy to wait and see and take a risk for KCL/Imperial, that's fine, but I do think by waiting for results day you do have to accept there is a risk you'd end up with a place you're not 100% happy with or nothing.

Are you limited to staying in London?
0
reply
username4368088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#15
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#15
I'd like to stay in London ideally
I'm not sure if i'm ready to take the risk honestly, but I know I'm not fully prepared to ask KCL/Imperial to reject me now so I can have a firm place with another uni - cause although slim there is still a chance.
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Ah, I see.

That's a pain as it means you can't 100% rely on the QM offer being there.

If you're happy to wait and see and take a risk for KCL/Imperial, that's fine, but I do think by waiting for results day you do have to accept there is a risk you'd end up with a place you're not 100% happy with or nothing.

Are you limited to staying in London?
0
reply
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#16
Report 1 month ago
#16
(Original post by jennama24)
I'd like to stay in London ideally
I'm not sure if i'm ready to take the risk honestly, but I know I'm not fully prepared to ask KCL/Imperial to reject me now so I can have a firm place with another uni - cause although slim there is still a chance.
Have you visited QM yet? It sounds like it would be sensible for you to do so and I'm sure Admissions would be able to advise you on other ways to visit apart from attending Open Days.
0
reply
username4368088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#17
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#17
Not yet but i'll definitely look into it - I think they run weekly tours? Thank you!
(Original post by harrysbar)
Have you visited QM yet? It sounds like it would be sensible for you to do so and I'm sure Admissions would be able to advise you on other ways to visit apart from attending Open Days.
0
reply
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#18
Report 1 month ago
#18
(Original post by jennama24)
I'd like to stay in London ideally
I'm not sure if i'm ready to take the risk honestly, but I know I'm not fully prepared to ask KCL/Imperial to reject me now so I can have a firm place with another uni - cause although slim there is still a chance.
That's fair enough.

I think it makes sense to leave things as they are until you get your remark back, at least.
0
reply
disappointed246
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
#19
Report 1 month ago
#19
What subject do you plan to study ?
0
reply
username4368088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#20
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
#20
Biomed
(Original post by disappointed246)
What subject do you plan to study ?
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts

All the exam results help you need

2,588

people online now

225,530

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (71)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (197)
39.64%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.23%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.64%

Watched Threads

View All