ugliestboieva
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so if a child is about to have an operation but the parents refuse any blood during the operation:
1.its not currently an emergency so they need to either get consent or apply for a court order right?
2. can patients refusal be accepted in any case?
ashleydixon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ugliestboieva)
so if a child is about to have an operation but the parents refuse any blood during the operation:
1.its not currently an emergency so they need to either get consent or apply for a court order right?
2. can patients refusal be accepted in any case?
Can you be slightly clearer? What is the question in-verbatim?
ugliestboieva
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashleydixon)
Can you be slightly clearer? What is the question in-verbatim?
it's a scenario.. child is about to have an operation, parents refuse any blood transfusions during the procedure if anything goes wrong.

currently, they are still on the ward and you're getting consent. my qs is in this circumstance ie not currently emergency but might be during the operation, do you have to get a court order if the patients refused transfusions during the consent procedure? can you accept the patients decision in any case?
ashleydixon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's a scenario.. child is about to have an operation, parents refuse any blood transfusions during the procedure if anything goes wrong.

currently, they are still on the ward and you're getting consent. my qs is in this circumstance ie not currently emergency but might be during the operation, do you have to get a court order if the patients refused transfusions during the consent procedure? can you accept the patients decision in any case?
How old is the child? Are they competent to make a decision for themselves? Legally, it's a somewhat grey area, however the situation will vary quite significantly between a three-year-old and a sixteen-year-old.
ugliestboieva
Rep:
?
How old is the child? Are they competent to make a decision for themselves? Legally, it's a somewhat grey area, however the situation will vary quite significantly between a three-year-old and a sixteen-year-old.
Seven
ashleydixon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Seven
In that case, as they are not likely to be competent, you would have to listen to their legal guardians. A court order would be the way to override their desires, proving a potentially-urgent blood transfusion would be in the interest of the patient.
ugliestboieva
Rep:
?
In that case, as they are not likely to be competent, you would have to listen to their legal guardians. A court order would be the way to override their desires, proving a potentially-urgent blood transfusion would be in the interest of the patient.
but since all operations carry a risk of bleeding, wouldn't you just act on the patients wishes, and get a court order now before the operation?
ashleydixon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
but since all operations carry a risk of bleeding, wouldn't you just act on the patients wishes, and get a court order now before the operation?
Yes. As I said in the last post, you could override the parents' refusal by getting a court order. For clarification, you are correct that you would obtain that before the operation. As the patient is only seven, could they even communicate their "wishes"? This would often be dealt with on a case-by-case basis however (can seven-year-olds be well-versed in medicine and the risks associated with a blood transfusion?), so I'm trying to be as general as possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.28%
I'm not sure (59)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (664)
49.37%

Watched Threads