Using language techniques to answer a literature question

Watch
katie091000
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In my English literature a level exams, in Q1 of paper 1 and Q1 of Paper 2 I used, (alongside other things,) language techniques to answer the question eg Polysyndetic, syntax, tenor, lexis etc etc. So I would say (for example,) here we can identify a continuous use of a tenor connoting death etc. Will these points get me marks?
JEG666
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Yes definitely! But only if they're relevant/ you can directly link them back to the point you're trying to make. Eg/ syntax as in maybe structurally a short paragraph in a book=creates the effect of ..= therefore shows us that...
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
yeah, as long as the point is well explored and why the technique has been used etc. fancy terminology won't help if you're just chucking it into weak points.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
They will get you marks if you have used them correctly. However, they will only get you a few marks. Most of the marks come from the quality of your analysis of a particular feature, regardless of how sophisticated that feature may be (e.g. someone that identifies 'powerful language' and has a very perceptive analysis of that feature can easily attain a higher mark than someone that spots 'meiosis' and has a vacuous analysis of that feature).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads