The Student Room Group

Psychology dissertation help

Hi guys

So i need to start thinking about my dissertation and i am super stuck. I have some areas which i have loved learning about these past few years, however i am just struggling with how to turn them into research questions.

For our dissertations we have to carry out our research using participants from the university, so i need to do research where my answers can be found with students. It really isn't ideal because my fav area is forensic psychology.

Ive come up with some ideas but I cant think of any IVs and DVs for them. Its so hard because my participant selection is limited, and i cant interview criminals or psychopaths!

My interests that i have loved learning about are:
psychopathy
paedophilia
somatic symptom disorder
dissociative identity disorder

I really don't want to have to investigate 'societies perceptions of xyz' and i'm just wondering if anybody has any ideas of what i could do instead... bearing in mind i cannot interview people with these disorders.

Thank you so much and I hope someone can help!
What about if you tested how high people score on a scale of psychotism and then give them cognitive tests , just to see if there’s a relationship between psychotic traits and cognitive ability?

Idk if this answer is helpful but hopefully you find some inspiration. Good luck!
Original post by 99pl
Hi guys

So i need to start thinking about my dissertation and i am super stuck. I have some areas which i have loved learning about these past few years, however i am just struggling with how to turn them into research questions.

For our dissertations we have to carry out our research using participants from the university, so i need to do research where my answers can be found with students. It really isn't ideal because my fav area is forensic psychology.

Ive come up with some ideas but I cant think of any IVs and DVs for them. Its so hard because my participant selection is limited, and i cant interview criminals or psychopaths!

psychopathy
paedophilia
somatic symptom disorder

I really don't want to have to investigate 'societies perceptions of xyz' and i'm just wondering if anybody has any ideas of what i could do instead... bearing in mind i cannot interview people with these disorders.

Reply 2
oo that is so interesting, thank you!
Original post by 99pl
Hi guys

psychopathy
paedophilia
somatic symptom disorder

Hi! The best way of finding a research topic is reading the literature and finding a specific research question in there which you can investigate given your time/sample restraints. Doing research on clinical groups is probably out of the question (which is a good thing, as we shouldn't let thousands of undegraduates loose on patient samples). Starting with a research area and trying to make up your own study from nothing is a recipe for disaster! The simpler the better really, though this doesn't mean the research has to be boring, being creative is all about working within constraints and making the best of it.
Original post by candycrusher
What about if you tested how high people score on a scale of psychotism and then give them cognitive tests , just to see if there’s a relationship between psychotic traits and cognitive ability?

Idk if this answer is helpful but hopefully you find some inspiration. Good luck!

That would reek of attributional errors.

Quick Reply

Latest