Management consulting?

Watch this thread
jackman2020
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am a undergrad at Warwick studying politics and history and looking pursuing consulting. I have A*A*A at a level - will I have a good chance, or will it still be incredbly difficult for me to secure a place at a top firm, not being from Oxbridge/UCL/LSE?

Are the hours really that bad or is this exaggarated? Are they better than investment banking?

What kind of salaries are expected? I know £32K is approximate for the big four graduate programmes but what do they rise to/would you expect the average graduate to be on 5, 10, 15+ years later?

How much really do you have to travel?
Last edited by jackman2020; 2 years ago
jackman2020
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by ltsmith)
do you have any internships in management consulting or related fields?

also do you have any connections or a network?
No- I have just completed my first year. I am looking at internships for the summer of my penultimate year (next summer), and consulting is looking like the best sector so far, but I have a few questions first!

No connections sadly
ItsSC
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi! I applied and got a summer placement with one of the big four (PwC) and I am from a non target uni, actually not even a Uk uni but an Italian one.In terms of education I had a 42 at the IB and predicted a First (equivalent) for my degree. But I didn’t have any relevant work experience or anything! And certainly no connections.There’s quite a few warwick students on this internship, so honestly just give it a shot! And be prepared for rejection. I got rejected from the other three as well as numerous other internships. It depends on what each one is looking for.Good luck!
jackman2020
Rep:
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply! If you don’t mind me asking- does everyone study a variety of different subjects? Or are there similar ones degrees that they seem to prefer?
ItsSC
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It's anything and everything! A few business, economics, and engineering but I've seen people studying Physics, Pharmacy, Geography, Philosophy, etc. It is a really varied program, I was pleasantly surprised! And they don't expect you to know anything beforehand so don't worry if you haven't studied anything of the sort at uni.
ItsSC
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Also completely forgot to reply to your other questions!

In terms of the hours absolutely not that bad. Generally people work 9am - 6pm. As interns for us its 9:30am - 5:30pm. Although it does vary widely. A friend of mine was put on a project that was doing a pitch and they worked till 9pm every night, but if you do you get dinner paid, and it is very rare occasions.

In terms of travelling again it depends! I'm from the London office but based outside of London Mon-Thur, but they pay for hotels, meals etc. Also, a friend of mine got to go to Rotterdam and another to Budapest! But I'd say most of the time you are based locally, if not at client sites but still locally.

Graduate pay here starts at 32k£ and you generally get a signing bonus and a yearly bonus of a couple grand if you don't get promoted. Don't know how the pay progresses from there though.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jackman2020)
I am a undergrad at Warwick studying politics and philosophy and looking pursuing consulting. I have A*A*A at a level - will I have a good chance, or will it still be incredbly difficult for me to secure a place at a top firm, not being from Oxbridge/UCL/LSE?

Are the hours really that bad or is this exaggarated? Are they better than investment banking?

What kind of salaries are expected? I know £32K is approximate for the big four graduate programmes but what do they rise to/would you expect the average graduate to be on 5, 10, 15+ years later?

How much really do you have to travel?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...23946&page=12#
I reccomend asking on this thread, Rob works in the industry and gives great answers focused on MBB firms
mnot
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ItsSC)

In terms of the hours absolutely not that bad. Generally people work 9am - 6pm. As interns for us its 9:30am - 5:30pm. Although it does vary widely. A friend of mine was put on a project that was doing a pitch and they worked till 9pm every night, but if you do you get dinner paid, and it is very rare occasions.

In terms of travelling again it depends! I'm from the London office but based outside of London Mon-Thur, but they pay for hotels, meals etc. Also, a friend of mine got to go to Rotterdam and another to Budapest! But I'd say most of the time you are based locally, if not at client sites but still locally.

Graduate pay here starts at 32k£ and you generally get a signing bonus and a yearly bonus of a couple grand if you don't get promoted. Don't know how the pay progresses from there though.
are you big 4 or MBB or other?

Wow the hours aren't nearly as bad i thought.

When your working on clients sites what do you do in the evenings? Do you just chill in the hotel or go out to local pubs etc. Would your firm also book hotels with gyms or spas so employees can look after their health if their heavily based at clients sites M-T?
Ze Witcher
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ItsSC)

Hi, do you have any advice for the Partner/final round interview?
ItsSC
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mnot)
are you big 4 or MBB or other?

Wow the hours aren't nearly as bad i thought.

When your working on clients sites what do you do in the evenings? Do you just chill in the hotel or go out to local pubs etc. Would your firm also book hotels with gyms or spas so employees can look after their health if their heavily based at clients sites M-T?
Big 4, PwC.

Yeah the hours might also be better because it's summer, but honestly generally no one is in the office after 6pm. I stayed once until 7pm to finish a Deck and that was the latest I had ever had to stay.

In the evenings I generally chill in the hotel room as unfortunately I am in the middle of no where and would have to take taxis for everything. I generally take walks as it's a nice area. We organise team dinners or team drinks about once every two weeks which is very nice and also paid for. If not there's weekly football and things like that.

For the hotel you have a choice on the hotel you want to stay at! You would book it through their online booking system which ensures it complies with their standards but its your choice! Mine has a gym right now and some people stay at one with a pool as well, not sure about spas.
ItsSC
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ze Witcher)
Hi, do you have any advice for the Partner/final round interview?
So I didn't have a Partner interview as I got in through the summer internship scheme, which makes it easier for the grad job afterwards (90% of people get it). All I had was the assessment centre and an interview with HR afterwards about my experiences during the AC. Really relaxed, very helpful, generally just self reflection.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (79)
18.9%
The paper was reasonable (156)
37.32%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
27.99%
It was TERRIBLE (66)
15.79%

Watched Threads