The Student Room Group

"Casual" antisemitism is not okay

I normally wouldn't make a thread like this but there have been 2 separate occasions in the last few days where someone has made antisemitic comments and no one except myself seemed to care:

- I overhear someone at work saying they're not "Jewy" with their money when handing money over to a colleague.
- Playing sport in a Jewish school, we were talking about how good the facilities were and someone says, "well this is a Jewish school".

I feel like a lot of people who aren't racists think it's okay to make these kind of comments but it really isn't. Even if you don't believe it yourself, if you make unchallenged comments/"jokes" that spread the stupid belief that Jews are rich and stingy then the idiots of our society are going to think that all Jews are the same and different to themselves.

Of course this kind of thing doesn't just apply to Jews but it's just what I've noticed recently. Spreading stereotypes about any minority is not helpful if we want to prevent racial/religious hate crimes which I hope most people do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If anyone is unsure about the “idiots” that I’m referring to then read the above post. I hope that mods don’t remove it.

EDIT: The post was removed. Now I'm the idiot :rolleyes:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
I normally wouldn't make a thread like this but there have been 2 separate occasions in the last few days where someone has made antisemitic comments and no one except myself seemed to care:

- I overhear someone at work saying they're not "Jewy" with their money when handing money over to a colleague.
- Playing sport in a Jewish school, we were talking about how good the facilities were and someone says, "well this is a Jewish school".

I feel like a lot of people who aren't racists think it's okay to make these kind of comments but it really isn't. Even if you don't believe it yourself, if you make unchallenged comments/"jokes" that spread the stupid belief that Jews are rich and stingy then the idiots of our society are going to think that all Jews are the same and different to themselves.

Of course this kind of thing doesn't just apply to Jews but it's just what I've noticed recently. Spreading stereotypes about any minority is not helpful if we want to prevent racial/religious hate crimes which I hope most people do.

I would say not everyone wants to prevent religious hate crimes.
You should be able to criticise Israel without being labelled anti semitic.
Original post by xxlaila03xx
You are offended that people are calling you rich?
Also not a stereotype, you Jews literally own everything
In no way are you a minority, I don't think you know what a minority is.

If these comments offend you then tell these people that maybe they should rethink how they phrase things, although I really don't see these comments as antisemitic, more using stereotypes than racism.

I'd love to be offended by someone calling me rich
That's a privileged life you live

Except if you look at the phrase words are being used in a disrespectful way.
Jews arent a majority are they? Not in the UK. Do you know what a minority is?
Negative racial stereotyping is still racism.
Do you like being racial stereotyped?
Example 1 is obviously inappropriate for the workplace, in my eyes.

Example 2 is more doubtful. Jewish people, on the whole and not in every single case, are notably affluent relative to, on the whole, other ethnic and religious groups. If the school's facilities are in any way supported by the wealth of Jewish benefactors who wish to support schools founded in the Jewish tradition, it is a fair comment as it is potentially true that but for the Jewish association the facilities would not be there.
I agree with the person who started this thread.
People say I own all the oil companies and I'm rich af, why would I be offended?
Stereotypes don't come from nowhere
Original post by 999tigger
Except if you look at the phrase words are being used in a disrespectful way.
Jews arent a majority are they? Not in the UK. Do you know what a minority is?
Negative racial stereotyping is still racism.
Do you like being racial stereotyped?
You are offended that people are calling you rich?
Also not a stereotype, you Jews literally own everything
In no way are you a minority, I don't think you know what a minority is.

If these comments offend you then tell these people that maybe they should rethink how they phrase things, although I really don't see these comments as antisemitic, more using stereotypes than racism.

I'd love to be offended by someone calling me rich
That's a privileged life you live

Where did they say they were Jewish? Why do you assume them of being Jewish? You are literally proving their point especially with whole using ‘stereotypes’. Guess I can say all Arabs are anti west and fund terrorism but it’s not racist/islamophobic because i’m using stereotypes - don’t actually believe this but using your argument against you.
Funny how you share the same argument as a certain dictator who used this argument to imprison Jews.
You know how many Jews are in the UK Just under 300,000 (2011), in a population of 66 million.
"the National Equality Panel (2010) showed that the group with the largest median net wealth were Jewish people with £422,000 almost twice as much as the next group, Sikh people (with £229,000). Muslim people were by far the poorest group in terms of wealth with only £42,000 of net wealth (see Table 3)."

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/research/SocialSciences/Key-Facts-Background-Paper-BPCIV.pdf
People say I own all the oil companies and I'm rich af, why would I be offended?

They also say you fund terrorism, are religious hypocrites and love child’s marriages (you’re Arab right), and you should already know about Muslims and Terrorism.
Like I said, your argument is double edged sword l.
Original post by Palmyra
"the National Equality Panel (2010) showed that the group with the largest median net wealth were Jewish people with £422,000 almost twice as much as the next group, Sikh people (with £229,000). Muslim people were by far the poorest group in terms of wealth with only £42,000 of net wealth (see Table 3)."

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/research/SocialSciences/Key-Facts-Background-Paper-BPCIV.pdf

Who knew that this would be the case?

Because the connotations with Jews dates back centuries and something they have been persecuted for. If you want to be racist, then that is your choice.
Original post by Palmyra

Your point being? The statements in the OP are acceptable?
Is it ok to be casually racist about Muslims?
Original post by Notoriety
Who knew that this would be the case?

Are you being ironic? Cant work it out.
My bad i thought casual was ok. How about tinsy tiny antisemitism? :smile:
Last time I checked those were Muslim stereotypes not Arab ones
Arab stereotypes is that we are rich, have a **** ton of gold, have a lot of oil, are loud etc etc
Not all Arabs are Muslim so you're point is invalid.
We are talking about races here not religions.

I said saying someone has money is not racist. But when the comments are insulting, then yes, take offence
Original post by Professional G
They also say you fund terrorism, are religious hypocrites and love child’s marriages (you’re Arab right), and you should already know about Muslims and Terrorism.
Like I said, your argument is double edged sword l.
Remind how that is racist?
Saying a certain group of people has money?
Are you out of your mind?

Nope just not as ignorant and disingenuous as you are being.
It isnt about them having money its all the connotations that come with it and why they have been persecuted.
Original post by Notnek
If anyone is unsure about the “idiots” that I’m referring to then read the above post. I hope that mods don’t remove it.

prsom

I actually felt offended even reading that post.

You aren't alone, ignore the trolls even though i have the urge of a bloody bear to reply to her ignorance and hypocrisy. There is no purpose debating with fools who happily bunked off their history lessons.
We are anti- west so yeah I wouldn't mind. It isn't racist at all
But ah, there you are mixing religion and culture again. Arabs and Muslims are 2 different things.
(also sure you don't :wink:)

Love how you're comparing me to Hitler babe. Very nice of you. I also have the right to be annoyed with Jews, you know after the whole Israel thing.

I meant minority as in they are 'treated like the minority', treated as inferior (not the number of them). But they are not treated as inferior are they?

Nice generalisation there. Not all Arabs are anti west, just a stereotype :smile:.
I mean i’m not the one who is a proud anti western/anti Semitie am I?

It’s not my fault that your arguments have a similarities to his. Last time I checked, Israel doesn’t represent Judaism. or Sounds like you are quite the anti Semite there. It’s a good thing Most Arabs are able to criticise Israel with attacking Judaism, alas not everyone was taught how to respect others. Wasn’t one of your points not to confuse culture and religion yet you’re mixing Israel and Judaism?
What connotations?
That they had all the money and owned all the companies and still do whilst everyone else was living in poverty?
Pretty sure that's a reason to be annoyed

Except its not true. If you want to be anti semitic, casual or otherwise then that is your choice, but dont cry when Muslims and whatever nationality you are recover the same sort of treatment. You are just being wilfully ignorant, which makes you pretty pointless.

Quick Reply

Latest