The Official St Andrews Applicants Thread 2020 Watch

entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi guys!! thought i'd create the thread for st andrews as it's one of my top choices atm.

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Puddles the Monkey
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
What course are you applying for: psychology (ma)
What universities are you thinking of: cardiff, east anglia, birmingham (not sure about this one), manchester
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: target grades are AAA, hoping predicted grades'll be around the same
GCSE grades: 998887A6665
Extra curriculars: volunteering at oxfam, ncs, psychology reading, sutton trust summer school, psychology essay competition
Last edited by entertainmyfaith; 1 month ago
la_banane_verte
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I've stickied this for you
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
(Original post by la_banane_verte)
I've stickied this for you
thank you
irefusetosignup
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hi!!

course: ideally international relations but i’m an EU student & their acceptance rates for IR are outrageously low :—) so i’m not sure yet

universities: st andrews, edinburgh, glasgow & aberdeen

predicted grades: i do the european bac so we get graded in percentages & this year i had an average of 96% which translates to three a*s

gcse grades: didn’t do them but my average of year 11 was 92%

extracurriculars: model un, piano, student council, class president, volunteering for unicef & i participated in a bunch of language certificates in french and english and some essay competitions. also i have a part time job lol

as i’ve said, though i love st andrews, it’s super unrealistic for me to be accepted so i’m trying not to get attached to the idea of studying there ahh
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by irefusetosignup)
hi!!

course: ideally international relations but i’m an EU student & their acceptance rates for IR are outrageously low :—) so i’m not sure yet

predicted grades: i do the european bac so we get graded in percentages & this year i had an average of 96% which translates to three a*s

extracurriculars: model un, piano, student council, class president, volunteering for unicef & i participated in a bunch of language certificates in french and english and some essay competitions. also i have a part time job lol

as i’ve said, though i love st andrews, it’s super unrealistic for me to be accepted so i’m trying not to get attached to the idea of studying there ahh
hi!! your grades are so good omg though i've heard ir at SA is super competitive:sadnod:
good luck with your application:hugs:
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i think you have a good chance at IR at st andrews tbh. the most important thing will be writing a good personal statement that doesn't just state, but actually justifies the relevance of your extracurriculars to your application
(Original post by irefusetosignup)
hi!!

irefusetosignup
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
omg thank you!! i’ll try i think but i’m still having a talk with my guidance counselor to see if another course is more realistic because i don’t really want to waste my shot by choosing the most competitive course ..... applications are stressful !!!!!
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
hi!! your grades are so good omg though i've heard ir at SA is super competitive:sadnod:
good luck with your application:hugs:
irefusetosignup
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
thank you for the advice!! but yeah, that’s what i’m stressing about most because i feel like pretty much all eu students who apply have near-perfect marks so most of the decision comes down to your ps
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
i think you have a good chance at IR at st andrews tbh. the most important thing will be writing a good personal statement that doesn't just state, but actually justifies the relevance of your extracurriculars to your application
Emz_6170
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hi guys!! thought i'd create the thread for st andrews as it's one of my top choices atm.

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Puddles the Monkey
Courses: politics or international relations with economics

Universities I'm thinking of applying too: St Andrews ( doubt I will get in! ), Edinburgh, Strathclyde and Glasgow.

Higher predicted grades: AAAB

National 5's: AAAAAA

Extra Curriculars: Horse riding, hockey,reading politics/ economics based books ,volunteering , ukulele, Duke of Edinburgh and working in the family business.
Last edited by Emz_6170; 2 months ago
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emz_6170)
Courses: politics or international relations with economics

Universities I'm thinking of applying too: St Andrews ( doubt I will get in! ), Edinburgh, Strathclyde and Glasgow.

Higher predicted grades: AAAB

Extra Curriculars: Horse riding, hockey, volunteering , ukulele, Duke of Edinburgh and working in the family business.
good luck!! try to maintain optimistic:awesome:
/JR/
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What course are you applying for: Ancient History
What universities are you thinking of: Oxford, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol, Exeter
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: Haven’t got them back yet, but got A*A*A*A in Mocks so it’s safe to assume I will be predicted 4A*
History, Politics, Philosophy, English
GCSE grades: 99999777665
Extra curriculars: 3 Summer schools, A ton of reading, Essay competitions, Leadership roles surrounding History and Classics in my school.
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
(Original post by /JR/)
What course are you applying for: Ancient History
What universities are you thinking of: Oxford, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol, Exeter
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: Haven’t got them back yet, but got A*A*A*A in Mocks so it’s safe to assume I will be predicted 4A*
History, Politics, Philosophy, English
GCSE grades: 99999777665
Extra curriculars: 3 Summer schools, A ton of reading, Essay competitions, Leadership roles surrounding History and Classics in my school.
best of luck with your application!! your grades are so good
what started your interest in ancient history?
/JR/
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
best of luck with your application!! your grades are so good
what started your interest in ancient history?
My Gcses in Latin and Ancient Greek were useful for an introduction to the literature of the era as it was part of the course; my fascination with ancient history pretty much stemmed from a combination of two passions of mine: Greek literature and military history. Then I simply combined both those interests and searched for stuff that fit those criteria; hence why I’ve read a lot of Thucydides and Euripides.
Emz_6170
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
thank you!
good luck!! try to maintain optimistic:awesome:
Amandadxb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Applying for: History
To: St Andrews, Bristol, Exeter, Lancaster and Nottingham
IB 36 achieved - 6,6,5 at higher
GCSE’s 9,7,7,A*, A*, A, A, A, B, B

Extra curriculars: Model United Nations, Gold DofE, voluntary work with National Trust and animal charities, ambassadorial role for U.K. Space Agency and several educational projects which involved compiling educational and marketing material and delivering presentations.
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amandadxb)
Applying for: History
To: St Andrews, Bristol, Exeter, Lancaster and Nottingham
IB 36 achieved - 6,6,5 at higher
GCSE’s 9,7,7,A*, A*, A, A, A, B, B

Extra curriculars: Model United Nations, Gold DofE, voluntary work with National Trust and animal charities, ambassadorial role for U.K. Space Agency and several educational projects which involved compiling educational and marketing material and delivering presentations.
good luck with your application
LucyLu223
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone, I'm Lucy!!
What course are you applying for: Modern Languages - Spanish and Russian
What universities are you thinking of: Cambridge, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, Birmingham (first three are very aspirational but if you don't aim high what's the point?!)
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*AA
GCSE grades: 99887A66BBC
Extra curriculars: Lots of music - I sing in choir and have a part in the school musical along with singing grades

I also volunteer at my villages community hub and have done work experience in Spain in a primary school, hoping to do something similar in Madrid in the autumn
Last edited by LucyLu223; 2 months ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LucyLu223)
Hi everyone, I'm Lucy!!
What course are you applying for: Modern Languages - Spanish and Russian
What universities are you thinking of: Cambridge, St Andrews, Durham, Cambridge, Birmingham (first three are very aspirational but if you don't aim high what's the point?!)
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*AA
GCSE grades: 99887A66BBC
Extra curriculars: Lots of music - I sing in choir and have a part in the school musical along with singing grades

I also volunteer at my villages community hub and have done work experience in Spain in a primary school, hoping to do something similar in Madrid in the autumn
Durham's offer rate is around 80% these days so you should be safe there as long as your Bs and Cs weren't in relevant subjects. you like Cambridge that much you are applying twice? :0
LucyLu223
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Haha! Whoops wrote this when I was tired hopefully applying twice can make up for that C!! And thanks for the info on Durham, their modern languages course is in clearing anyway so I don’t think it’s their most popular.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (148)
60.16%
No I haven't decided yet (55)
22.36%
Yes but I might change my mind (43)
17.48%

Watched Threads