Would you date someone you don't find very attractive?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So a guy I've been friends with for years recently admitted to having feelings for me and it's going well, I like him as a person and his personality, he's better in that sense then a lot of guys. I just don't feel very attracted to him looks, that's not to say I think he's unattractive. I suppose I haven't thought of him in that way before now but would it be wrong to see how things go even if I'm probably not as interested as he is
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Liking his chin won't make you ***. It is all about the persona, confidence.
username3774332
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I will have to in all probability
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Attraction can develop later. Go on a few dates and if there is no spark by that point then don't take it any further.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If their personality isn't attractive than no.

Personality > appearance
vox_celeste
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a feeling this is going to be a brutal thread.

But, realistically, It's not really surprising that most people wouldn't want to be romantically involved with someone they didn't find physically attractive.

Personally, I can overlook minor flaws - a little extra weight, blemishes etc etc. I draw the line at things that obviously raise red flags in terms of the type of person that individual is...Poor hygiene (smelly, greasy, dirty), ridiculously overweight.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, looks are only part of the reason you have feelings and interest in someone. You may not find them very attractive, but as long as you don't find them unattractive.
username2861570
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally, yes. There was this girl in secondary school who wasn't all that attractive but we got on really well. The more I got to know her, the more I began to like her. She was in a relationship at the time tho so I didn't make a move.
vox_celeste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This just doesn't reconcile with what actually happens in reality though. And, to be frank, it sounds like you're trying to virtue signal by paying lip-service on a public forum to a notion that is just not played out in real life.

(Original post by ecolier)
If their personality isn't attractive than no.

Personality > appearance
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vox_celeste)
This just doesn't reconcile with what actually happens in reality though. And, to be frank, it sounds like you're trying to virtue signal by paying lip-service on a public forum to a notion that is just not played out in real life.
It's my personal opinion, same as JoshDarnIt.
A.J_MURAPPR
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No. W/out any initial physical attraction, there is usually no relationship. Personality and other aspects always come later imo.
vox_celeste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is how the vast majority of people operate.

Also, I don't think its fair to continue the relationship with this guy. He is likely smitten and probably can't believe his luck. You say you've known him for years and never thought of him in "that" way and that you're not as into the whole thing as he is. This makes it seem to me like it won't last and he'll end up getting really hurt.
(Original post by A.J_MURAPPR)
No. W/out any initial physical attraction, there is usually no relationship. Personality and other aspects always come later imo.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is hard really, because it's usually the initial attraction that draws you to a person, but that being said looks aren't everything. Personality is more important, no point dating someone hot if they're a douche.

I just don't think it would work out personally for me if I wasn't attracted to them.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So a guy I've been friends with for years recently admitted to having feelings for me and it's going well, I like him as a person and his personality, he's better in that sense then a lot of guys. I just don't feel very attracted to him looks, that's not to say I think he's unattractive. I suppose I haven't thought of him in that way before now but would it be wrong to see how things go even if I'm probably not as interested as he is
It's tricky. If you allow yourself see him in a romantic light, maybe your attraction to him will grow. However, if it ends up that you can't see him as more than a friend, he might end up feeling hurt. I think you need to be transparent about the whole 'seeing how things go' idea, so he knows that you aren't as invested as he is (at this moment), and then he can decide if he's happy with that arrangement.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No; and I couldn’t think of anything worse than being dated for your personality either. It’s second only to pity dating
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For a person who seemed pleasant, I'd go on a few dates to get to know their personality better.
I'm more attracted by personality than looks.
An aggressive, toxic or fanatical personality is guaranteed to send me scarpering in the opposite direction.
Cloudiii
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly, I wouldnt
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't either. People always say personality this and personality that, which I don't disagree with completely. However, if you don't have that slight attraction to them in the beginning, you most probably never will.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No. You can just go on a date and then make your mind up as to whether you find him attractive or not. And remember that nice looking people can have awful personalities. But i think you do need to find that your future bf is actually attractive to you physically and personality wise.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed