RAF qualification guide - Help

Watch this thread
MathewLyD
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, i'm planning on starting my application to the RAF next year after i complete my upcoming college course. I am having some difficulty working out the value of my Scottish qualifications comapred to what they are asking for.

I am looking to apply for the Aircraft Technician (Avionics) role and the requirements are:

-

• GCSE Grade C/4-5 or equivalent, or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/Scottish National 5 (Grade A – C) in English, Maths and an approved Science/Technology-based subject

So i guess my first question is, can i use my college education to fill in for the National 5 grade in an 'approved science/technology?

If so, what can i use?

These will be my qualifications on the time that i apply:

- National 5 Math (A)
- National 5 English (B)
- National 5 Modern Studies (B)
- National 5 Practical Woodworking (C)
- National 4 Computer Science (Pass)
- National 4 Chemistry (Pass)
- National 4 Math (Pass)

College qualifications:

- NC Computer science
- HNC Computing Technical Support

I know there is a link to Qualifications Equivalency on the RAF website but i still cant seem to work it out, Thanks for any help given.

Mathew.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Ask your AFCO.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MathewLyD)
Hello, i'm planning on starting my application to the RAF next year after i complete my upcoming college course. I am having some difficulty working out the value of my Scottish qualifications comapred to what they are asking for.

I am looking to apply for the Aircraft Technician (Avionics) role and the requirements are:

-

• GCSE Grade C/4-5 or equivalent, or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/Scottish National 5 (Grade A – C) in English, Maths and an approved Science/Technology-based subject

So i guess my first question is, can i use my college education to fill in for the National 5 grade in an 'approved science/technology?

If so, what can i use?

These will be my qualifications on the time that i apply:

- National 5 Math (A)
- National 5 English (B)
- National 5 Modern Studies (B)
- National 5 Practical Woodworking (C)
- National 4 Computer Science (Pass)
- National 4 Chemistry (Pass)
- National 4 Math (Pass)

College qualifications:

- NC Computer science
- HNC Computing Technical Support

I know there is a link to Qualifications Equivalency on the RAF website but i still cant seem to work it out, Thanks for any help given.

Mathew.
Hi

What course is your NC in Computer Science? What qualification etc?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
MathewLyD
Rep:
The qualification is just called NC, National Certificate.
RAF_Adam
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The qualification is just called NC, National Certificate.
Hi
Is it BTEC? Key Skills? etc

The more detail you can give me the better I can advise you on whether it will be equivalent to what you require for the role.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
MathewLyD
Rep:
Hello Adam, I’ve been looking for a while and can’t see a direct comparison, but I did find this.

In the educational systems of England and Wales and Northern Ireland, the National Certificate is a standard vocational further education qualification. It is usually rated at Level 3 on the National Qualifications Framework and is equivalent to A-level, BTEC Extended Diploma or NVQ Level 3 standard

Mathew.
RAF_Adam
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hello Adam, I’ve been looking for a while and can’t see a direct comparison, but I did find this.

In the educational systems of England and Wales and Northern Ireland, the National Certificate is a standard vocational further education qualification. It is usually rated at Level 3 on the National Qualifications Framework and is equivalent to A-level, BTEC Extended Diploma or NVQ Level 3 standard

Mathew.
Hi

Thank you for that. Do you have a breakdown of the content of the course? We'll need to look at whether it covers what is required. Your tutors/course should be able to supply one if you don't have it.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
MathewLyD
Rep:
I’ve got all the units I was awarded with the course, should I just send them in here?
RAF_Adam
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I’ve got all the units I was awarded with the course, should I just send them in here?
Hi

If you want to send me a DM on here that will be better.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
MathewLyD
Rep:
Yes I dm’d you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
42.09%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.32%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.22%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.37%

Watched Threads