The Student Room Group

High rep universities worth it?

I've got offers from universities like Lancaster,York,Leicester but ,being an international student the tuition fess sits around a ridiculous 20k pounds an year.Is that fee justified over a less flashy(low ranking) uni charging a modest 12k an year like northumbria,aston etc.? I'm pursuing a Business Technology BSC(hons.) all unis provide sandwich placement and all are accredited.
Original post by Yuvraj.xj
I've got offers from universities like Lancaster,York,Leicester but ,being an international student the tuition fess sits around a ridiculous 20k pounds an year.Is that fee justified over a less flashy(low ranking) uni charging a modest 12k an year like northumbria,aston etc.? I'm pursuing a Business Technology BSC(hons.) all unis provide sandwich placement and all are accredited.

I believe prestige won't be majorly important for business technology, which course do you prefer taking reputation out of it?

Do your research and compare each uni according to set criteria.
Find out what the employment prospects are and whether any has a significant enough reputation in your home country or if your aims are the UK, then the UK as well. Not sure business technology has that much of a definitive career path, so compare the course content as well.
Also try and contact students on the actual course via societies or the department direct.

An extra £24k is a lot. Think its worth having a look.
Are you going back to your country of origin? Is it within your country's culture to deify prestigious universities -- e.g. as is the case in Singapore, Hong Kong and similar places.
PRSOM
Original post by Notoriety
Are you going back to your country of origin? Is it within your country's culture to deify prestigious universities -- e.g. as is the case in Singapore, Hong Kong and similar places.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for your quick response , well I'm from India and yes people here do deify prestigious unis , but that more or less revolves around those big names like oxford, Cambridge anyways.My parents are actually very supportive of my decision regardless of what it actually costs , but on the contrary it was me who thought that maybe I should save that money for masters anyways and choose that flashy one later.My main goal for undergrad is to get the hang of an international uni,culture and stuff.I do wish to gain work ex. after my degree but would surely return back to do something of my own here in my own country.As for the course, its name variate from "Information Technology Management for Business BSc (Hons)" to "Management and Information Technology BSc Hons ".All the modules are almost identical more or less and I am tending to believe that ranking sites are favoring high research output unis on the top and maybe that isn't for me.Thinking of going with Northumbria ,I think that Lancaster is good but surely not £24k good.
only you can make the judgement whether the extra cost is worth it. However Lancaster and York are considered the better universities and that reflects in the cost.
Thanks everyone for your quick response , well I'm from India and yes people here do deify prestigious unis , but that more or less revolves around those big names like oxford, Cambridge anyways.My parents are actually very supportive of my decision regardless of what it actually costs , but on the contrary it was me who thought that maybe I should save that money for masters anyways and choose that flashy one later.My main goal for undergrad is to get the hang of an international uni,culture and stuff.I do wish to gain work ex. after my degree but would surely return back to do something of my own here in my own country.As for the course, its name variate from "Information Technology Management for Business BSc (Hons)" to "Management and Information Technology BSc Hons ".All the modules are almost identical more or less and I am tending to believe that ranking sites are favoring high research output unis on the top and maybe that isn't for me.Thinking of going with Northumbria ,I think that Lancaster is good but surely not £24k good.

hey yuvrAj,im also thinking to go to northumbria and im also from india

Quick Reply

Latest