Does anyone know of any good anxiety support forums? Watch

royal1990
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety over my new role.

I suffer from social anxiety, and generalised, however, my job involves talking over the phone.

I also have developed agoraphobia recently, over a personal hygiene matter - which (apparently) is noticeable in public.This makes me want to avoid public transport and people in general.

I can't obviously help the role and content involved in my job, but I am trying to self manage my anxiety. I am supposed to take anti-depressants for depression also, but I don't because they make me more anxious and physically ill.

Its Sunday today, I've had the weekend off, but I get that anxiety on a Sunday because I know I have to go back on Monday.

Does anyone know of any helpful forums for support?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
:tsr: is a good one. The Mental health forum (which you have posted in!) has experienced posters who are around (not all the time but they are here!). Some of our users may have anxiety too and you can discuss about the history and condition (obviously only if you / they are happy to!).

Is there anything specific you are looking for (in a forum)?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
:tsr: is a good one. The Mental health forum (which you have posted in!) has experienced posters who are around (not all the time but they are here!). Some of our users may have anxiety too and you can discuss about the history and condition (obviously only if you / they are happy to!).

I just want some people to confide in and talk to that can perhaps relate to my feelings of anxiety.

I recently just started a new job. I'm going into my third week of it, and its a massive source of anxiety. I've suffered from anxiety (formally GAD) for many years. First sort of diagnosed by a GP about 7-8 yrs ago. But I think its certainly become something more social as well as also generalised to situations.

I now work in the customer services department of a large educational exam body, that regulates qualifications for A-Levels, GCSEs, and BTECs. The problem is, I have to answer calls from exams officers, and the like, something which causes me to feel crippling fear and I freeze. I think its because I have very low confidence, and low self esteem, but I just feel I can't do it.

I have phone anxiety, but I suppose thats a given because I have an anxiety disorder anyhow - you woudn't think any differently. The workplace has been understanding thus far, and has not pushed me into it, but I feel as time goes on and things don't improve, I feel they would fire me.

I know they hired me because they know (or at least think) I can do the job, but my mental health issues, and something I'm very self conscious about - is causing me a lot of fear. (Basically I have very bad breath - and need to see a dentist, during my 3 weeks thus far, I've had people move away from me when I talk, touch their faces etc). It has really impacted my wellbeing and increased paranoia. I dunno what to do, I may have ruined my initial good impression at the company.

My boss initially wanted me to cancel my dental appointment to attend an important session, she then messaged me later on, after hearing the other manager had spoken to me, and said "we've switched up the session today, so if you wanted too, you might want to go to dentists and get your appt back if you can".

It is also making me avoid people, and public transport and I've formed something of agoraphobia from this.

I was pulled aside by a manager and asked how I'm getting on, as I am vocally very quiet and almost mute, talking very occasionally.

I think they are concerned. I just told them that basically I am stressed with some personal issues in the background, that I suffered from anxiety, and it was affecting my focus a little in the job, which is why im quiet.

They've been very accommodating so far with appointments I've had, and have moved sessions and done things for me, so they are keen to retain me, at least through my probationary period.

Its Sunday, i've had the weekend off, and I get anxious because I know Monday I'm back in the office.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I just want some people to confide in and talk to that can perhaps relate to my feelings of anxiety.

I recently just started a new job. I'm going into my third week of it, and its a massive source of anxiety. I've suffered from anxiety (formally GAD) for many years. First sort of diagnosed by a GP about 7-8 yrs ago. But I think its certainly become something more social as well as also generalised to situations.

I now work in the customer services department of a large educational exam body, that regulates qualifications for A-Levels, GCSEs, and BTECs. The problem is, I have to answer calls from exams officers, and the like, something which causes me to feel crippling fear and I freeze. I think its because I have very low confidence, and low self esteem, but I just feel I can't do it.

I have phone anxiety, but I suppose thats a given because I have an anxiety disorder anyhow - you woudn't think any differently. The workplace has been understanding thus far, and has not pushed me into it, but I feel as time goes on and things don't improve, I feel they would fire me.

I know they hired me because they know (or at least think) I can do the job, but my mental health issues, and something I'm very self conscious about - is causing me a lot of fear. (Basically I have very bad breath - and need to see a dentist, during my 3 weeks thus far, I've had people move away from me when I talk, touch their faces etc). It has really impacted my wellbeing and increased paranoia. I dunno what to do, I may have ruined my initial good impression at the company.

My boss initially wanted me to cancel my dental appointment to attend an important session, she then messaged me later on, after hearing the other manager had spoken to me, and said "we've switched up the session today, so if you wanted too, you might want to go to dentists and get your appt back if you can".

It is also making me avoid people, and public transport and I've formed something of agoraphobia from this.

I was pulled aside by a manager and asked how I'm getting on, as I am vocally very quiet and almost mute, talking very occasionally.

I think they are concerned. I just told them that basically I am stressed with some personal issues in the background, that I suffered from anxiety, and it was affecting my focus a little in the job, which is why im quiet.

They've been very accommodating so far with appointments I've had, and have moved sessions and done things for me, so they are keen to retain me, at least through my probationary period.

Its Sunday, i've had the weekend off, and I get anxious because I know Monday I'm back in the office.

royal1990
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're wanting a forum on the internet, this is about as good as it gets.

I think many people would relate to your feelings, why because it has a lot of people in their teens, 20s and 30s who are students/graduated and anxiety/job/family problems. If you went to another mental health forum it might for example have a lot of people in their 40-60s and someone might then feel more out of place there.

The limitations of the forum are to a certain exist on every forum. People post stuff and get frustrated that they don't get the buzz and answers they want quite quickly so they post in multiple different bits of the forum over time in jobs and mental health and relationships and so on. The world would get on a lot better if more people listened, but also if people didn't hop around different bits of the forum. A lot of the time when people are being nice on forums doesn't really come across as much more than neutral and then people just think I didn't get the warm gushy response I wanted there so people must be really disinterested.

It sounds like at the moment the dental problems have spiralled quite out of control and this seems to be the big issue in the current workplace. How much is this you over reading it, or is some of it just complete arses making comments they shouldn't be?

The other stuff, three weeks in it sounds like you're doing really well. Working in any so called customer facing role is very difficult with anxiety. Phone work is difficult.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The mental health support society on this forum is a good place to start .
I have anxiety, and although it's largely improved in that it's no longer gnawing at me all the time, it still makes certain parts of my life (often randomly, with no warning at all) very difficult!
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you're on it?
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're welcome to go to the MHSS or message me if you need to talk. I have GAD and some other issues as well, so I "get" it.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
People are recommending TSR as a mental health support forum? I get anxiety looking at the front page and realising how weird some of the people I'm sharing this earth with are...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (150)
24.79%
Pop (146)
24.13%
Jazz (26)