How to get into topless/fitness/sports modelling Watch

Mixedraceguy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey I'm a fitness personality on social media and I have ok abs currently I have three platforms on fb a vlogging page, body appreciation page and a fitness page I was wondering how I would get into topless modelling and sports clothing/fitness style modelling
I'm gonna do a mixed photoshoot next month where I will be topless in some photos, in others I'll be teasing just flashing my abs like pulling my t shirt up a bit so you can see my abs and just fully clothed shots

The only problem is I have a birthmark on my chest which I know will be at my disadvantage
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
*bump*
SavageRyan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So you'll have a modelling platform too why not sounds cool
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'd need to put together a professional portfolio of pictures; various photos of head shots, full body, in different locations, but maybe tied together with a theme. Maintain your online presence as 1. organisations do look online for potential models and 2. It's something to refer to as well as your hardcopy stuff. Don't worry too much about the birthmark, it could be your USP. You would then need an agent who would organise your career, set up casting calls etc, or be prepared to slog around around agencies yourself.

That's the basics. Do a lot of research into this and ensure you aren't getting ripped off at any step, particularly the agencies; no-one should be asking for big sums of money upfront. It will be hard work, you could be having to sculpt your body more, there's no guarantee of jobs, and you need to be responsive to instructions and prepared to spend hours hanging around or tweaking your poses for the right shot.
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by SavageRyan)
So you'll have a modelling platform too why not sounds cool
I could we'll see though need to make up a portfolio
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
You'd need to put together a professional portfolio of pictures; various photos of head shots, full body, in different locations, but maybe tied together with a theme. Maintain your online presence as 1. organisations do look online for potential models and 2. It's something to refer to as well as your hardcopy stuff. Don't worry too much about the birthmark, it could be your USP. You would then need an agent who would organise your career, set up casting calls etc, or be prepared to slog around around agencies yourself.

That's the basics. Do a lot of research into this and ensure you aren't getting ripped off at any step, particularly the agencies; no-one should be asking for big sums of money upfront. It will be hard work, you could be having to sculpt your body more, there's no guarantee of jobs, and you need to be responsive to instructions and prepared to spend hours hanging around or tweaking your poses for the right shot.
What would you say makes a good portfolio? And what's usp?
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mixedraceguy)
What would you say makes a good portfolio? And what's usp?
USP = Unique Selling Point. Something that makes a product or person stand out for being different to their competitors. For a current example in modelling, it's Winnie Harlow with vitiligo (white patches on dark skin). Sorry, all my examples would be girls, male models don't grab the headlines, but Google her and see what I mean!

I do only know the basics (mostly from tv), you'd need some proper advice on your portfolio. However, you would need professional 8x10 photos, say 12 to 20, in a portfolio case. Definitely include a foward-facing headshot, and a full-length body shot in basic clothing, like white shirt and dark skinny jeans, proper shoes. After that, for your preferred line of work, you'd be looking at swimwear and sportswear, some studio and some location I would think. Look at magazines for inspiration as that's where you want to appear; follow current trends and keep the portfolio up-to-date. Also include any pictures where you have done any actual modelling.

There will be more advice online on how to go about this. Just make sure you find reputable people; online companies with no contact details and places asking for money upfront are suspect. If in doubt, also have a look at the Companies House website, it will tell you how long a company has been in existence, any insolvency issues etc that would be red flags.

Good luck!
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
USP = Unique Selling Point. Something that makes a product or person stand out for being different to their competitors. For a current example in modelling, it's Winnie Harlow with vitiligo (white patches on dark skin). Sorry, all my examples would be girls, male models don't grab the headlines, but Google her and see what I mean!

I do only know the basics (mostly from tv), you'd need some proper advice on your portfolio. However, you would need professional 8x10 photos, say 12 to 20, in a portfolio case. Definitely include a foward-facing headshot, and a full-length body shot in basic clothing, like white shirt and dark skinny jeans, proper shoes. After that, for your preferred line of work, you'd be looking at swimwear and sportswear, some studio and some location I would think. Look at magazines for inspiration as that's where you want to appear; follow current trends and keep the portfolio up-to-date. Also include any pictures where you have done any actual modelling.

There will be more advice online on how to go about this. Just make sure you find reputable people; online companies with no contact details and places asking for money upfront are suspect. If in doubt, also have a look at the Companies House website, it will tell you how long a company has been in existence, any insolvency issues etc that would be red flags.

Good luck!
Thanks I've been offered a test shoot at a studio in London on August 3rd
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks I've been offered a test shoot at a studio in London on August 3rd
Good for you! Hope it goes well, and whilst there'll be a lot to think about, try to remember to make the most of any opportunities and learn what you can for other occasions. :clap2:
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Good for you! Hope it goes well, and whilst there'll be a lot to think about, try to remember to make the most of any opportunities and learn what you can for other occasions. :clap2:
I will do, do you think part time modelling can work long term and while at uni?
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I will do, do you think part time modelling can work long term and while at uni?
I think I've reached the limit of my exoerience here! I can't give you a definite answer, you really need to ask someone in the industry about this! However, I think it will be difficult at uni, as you will be limited on the times that you are available. It's not like you will have opportunities other than weekends/holidays to be dropping everything to sit around for a day at a casting call or attend a shoot.

Long term, who knows? For every model that gets a few magazine spreads, there will be so many who never get anywhere. It's hard work, sometimes boring, trends change, some people just never get comfortable enough in front of the camera.

I'm usually on the Armed Forces forum, and there's a group of us on there who always tell people to get qualifications and not to drop out of college/uni for the military so they've got a fallback if things don't work out. Same advice here. You are talking part-time, so you sound as though you are thinking it through, so don't miss out on the whole uni experience and keep your options open.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%