Edd Hau
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi on behalf of my son I just wanna check what is a good Uni in the London area. He got 28 IB points so I doubt he will make the top tier ones. We are in Hong Kong so he will enter this Sept. We have offers from Exeter , Reading, Royal Holloway and Brunel to do a business, finance and accounts degree. Just wanna get an idea are their any better ones in London with his grades? Thanks in advance
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If Exeter will take him with 28 IB points then I'd take that in a heartbeat. It's definitely the best university out of the 4 listed, and better than any London university that would take him with those grades.
Edd Hau
Rep:
?
I saw the ranking was high but was worried of location as it was far from London. How would u compared Exeter vs Reading for a Business degree?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Edd Hau)
Hi on behalf of my son I just wanna check what is a good Uni in the London area. He got 28 IB points so I doubt he will make the top tier ones. We are in Hong Kong so he will enter this Sept. We have offers from Exeter , Reading, Royal Holloway and Brunel to do a business, finance and accounts degree. Just wanna get an idea are their any better ones in London with his grades? Thanks in advance
Is there a reason you want London? There are some v good unis and also some that are not so good plus a lot of ones that suggest they are in London , but really more on the outskirts.
The grades are low.
You can check with clearing to see if anyone might consider those grades, but the course in general isnt offered by everyone. I think 28 is roughly about BBC equivalent.

You can have a play round with this.
https://digital.ucas.com/search/resu...1&pageNumber=3

Of the ones mentioned then Exeter has the better rep in the UK, RH divides opinion, closer to London, but I wouldnt class it as in London. Look at a map.

Ask clearing about Queen Mary, although less competitive would be City.
Exeter is a better, but also a different type of uni. Its a good offer for BBC.
Ask @returnmigrant about Reading. Its about an hour from London, close enough although they seem to have been in the news recently.
The other way to check is with students on the actual course.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As Tigger mentions, City uni would be a possibility - the Cass business school has an excellent reputation and they do say on their website that they are in Clearing for certain Business & Finance courses, so that might be worth an enquiry.

Reading is a good uni (not as good as Exeter prestige - wise though). My daughter did her Masters in Marketing there and the Henley business school is decent. There are frequent fast trains into London that take 25/30 minutes (trains will run directly to Bond Street once crossrail opens in 2020/21). Royal Holloway is a 40 minute train journey into London I believe and the area around the campus is very quiet, which may or may not appeal to your son.

Brunel is the least appealing of your son's current choices, in my opinion.
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 year ago
David2001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I saw the ranking was high but was worried of location as it was far from London. How would u compared Exeter vs Reading for a Business degree?
Not too sure about Exeter vs Reading for a degree, but I live in Reading and if you're looking for somewhere close to London, Reading great.
Reading is a major rail station, with trains roughly every 20 mins to London, even well into the night. There is also a second station (Reading West), and a third (Reading Green Park) is due to open next summer. On top of this, Crossrail (a high speed rail from east London to Reading) is nearly finished now, so will allow direct trains to multiple major stations in london, including Heathrow Airport.
I know it's not quite what you were looking for, but hope it helps :-)

swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In terms of reputation Exeter is the best. It is 2 hours by train from London. It has a fabulous very green campus. It is a fairly small city. Brunel is on the outskirts of London in Uxbridge near Heathrow airport. Your son would have to travel into the centre of London on the underground. Royal Holloway is someway out of London near Heathrow and Windsor. The university claims it is 40 minutes by train to the city. Others on here dispute that and claim it takes a lot longer. It is in a very green area and has a beautiful campus. It is in a very quiet area so wont have much life. Reading is a city on its own and is 30 minutes by fast train to Paddington. They would then need to go on the underground to the city centre. It is a bit bigger than Exeter. If your son is looking at lots of life and decent universities he would be better looking at bigger cities like Cardiff, Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds. Probably Exeter would be his best option unless he is looking for a great deal of nightlife.
(Original post by harrysbar)
As Tigger mentions, City uni would be a possibility - the Cass business school has an excellent reputation and they do say on their website that they are in Clearing for certain Business & Finance courses, so that might be worth an enquiry.

Reading is a good uni (not as good as Exeter prestige - wise though). My daughter did her Masters in Marketing there and the Henley business school is decent. There are frequent fast trains into London that take 25/30 minutes (trains will run directly to Bond Street once crossrail opens in 2020). Royal Holloway is a 40 minute train journey into London I believe and the area around the campus is very quiet, which may or may not appeal to your son.

Brunel is the least appealing of your son's current choices, in my opinion.
Edd Hau
Rep:
?
Is it true that a train ride from Exeter to London is over GBP50
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it true that a train ride from Exeter to London is over GBP
Yes that is true for walk on rates. Your son could save money by purchasing a 16-25 railcard. He would pay for the year and then get 30% off all fares. He could also get it cheaper by booking in advance and sticking to those trains. Exeter students do not travel to London on a regular basis and that is true for most universities. If London is what your son seeks then he should go to university there instead of looking at universities elsewhere. He will find the price of accommodation far higher there than elsewhere. Places like Exeter have shopping centres themselves so there is no need to go to London other than flights home. There are also coaches running which are far cheaper if funding is an issue although considering the fees and living costs for an overseas student the cost of travel between the airport and any UK city will be negligeable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
29.23%
No - I have already returned home (8)
12.31%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (13)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (4)
6.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
32.31%

Watched Threads