I suspect I have bipolar and am 16 Watch

Calmcalmcalmmm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im not self diagnosing myself. I dont think I have bipolar. But due to my familys history of mental health and common ties with the things I have seen online I suspect I may be dealing with bipolar. I am 16. What would be the appropriate thing to do now to help myself?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jamie_1712
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Clearly you do think you have it for some reason other than just family history otherwise you wouldn’t question it. If you feel fine in yourself no need to worry yourself over nothing. If you are genuinely concerned about your own major and sudden mood swings, then go to your GP.
Last edited by Jamie_1712; 1 month ago
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go to your GP.
Calmcalmcalmmm
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Go to your GP.
How can I set this up?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Calmcalmcalmmm)
How can I set this up?
Do you know what surgery you are registered at? If so, look online for their phone number and ring them up. The receptionist may be able to book you an appointment on the phone, or they may have a triage system where the doctor gives you a call back, and then makes an appointment for you if they need to see you.
Calmcalmcalmmm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jamie_1712)
Clearly you do think you have it for some reason other than just family history otherwise you wouldn’t question it. If you feel fine in yourself no need to worry yourself over nothing. If you are genuinely concerned about your own major and sudden mood swings, then go to your GP.
Its more than because of my family. I have sudden mood swings and various other characteristics of bipolar. When I read online it connected to me what I was reading about like the mood swings, ego and confidence, needing sleep/not sleeping, depressive episodes to hyper episodes e.t.c
Jpw1097
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im not self diagnosing myself. I dont think I have bipolar. But due to my familys history of mental health and common ties with the things I have seen online I suspect I may be dealing with bipolar. I am 16. What would be the appropriate thing to do now to help myself?
Nobody can diagnose you online. Although do be aware that bipolar affective disorder is not what people think it is - it is very different to frequent, sudden mood swings (although this may happen). People with bipolar disorder typically have one or two depressive and/or manic episodes per year (four or more episodes per year is known as rapid cycling) and each episode usually lasts months. During manic episodes, people typically experience euphoria or irritability, reduced need for sleep, increased spending, increased sexual energy, rapid speech, racing thoughts, become gregarious and some people experience psychotic symptoms (i.e. hallucinations and/or delusions), etc.

There is quite a strong family link in bipolar disorder. If you're concerned, make an appointment with your doctor just as LeapingLucy has said above.
Calmcalmcalmmm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jpw1097)
Nobody can diagnose you online. Although do be aware that bipolar affective disorder is not what people think it is - it is very different to frequent, sudden mood swings (although this may happen). People with bipolar disorder typically have one or two depressive and/or manic episodes per year (four or more episodes per year is known as rapid cycling) and each episode usually lasts months. During manic episodes, people typically experience euphoria or irritability, reduced need for sleep, increased spending, increased sexual energy, rapid speech, racing thoughts, become gregarious and some people experience psychotic symptoms (i.e. hallucinations and/or delusions), etc.

There is quite a strong family link in bipolar disorder. If you're concerned, make an appointment with your doctor just as LeapingLucy has said above.
I had two major depressive episodes last year. One during January-February and December. Its like I was a different person. It caused me to skip school, not care about anything. I couldnt leave my bed. Had no confidence. Thought I wasnt special. Now adays I have confidence in myself. I can do anything I want to if I put my mind to it. Im no longer like my other stupid peers and Im doing my own thing. I have found God and am doing better. Especially since I have 6 form coming up and I have something to prove.
Jpw1097
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had two major depressive episodes last year. One during January-February and December. Its like I was a different person. It caused me to skip school, not care about anything. I couldnt leave my bed. Had no confidence. Thought I wasnt special. Now adays I have confidence in myself. I can do anything I want to if I put my mind to it. Im no longer like my other stupid peers and Im doing my own thing. I have found God and am doing better. Especially since I have 6 form coming up and I have something to prove.
So why do you think you have bipolar disorder as opposed to two major depressive episodes? Have you ever had any of the manic symptoms that I listed in my previous post? It's good to hear that you're doing better and feeling better about yourself.
Respect.Global
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Firstly go to your GP if you have concerns about your mental health. Your 16, so you can go alone if that's a concern, although if your open about your mental health ask a family member to come with you.

Address your concerns with your GP and they can arrange for a referral with your local CAMHS. Now I have no doubt that you've already done your research and have genuine reasons, so there's no harm in addressing those concerns. Especially if there's a family history of the disorder or depression. I must add that statistically bipolar on average can take up to 7 years to diagnose if not fully obvious, this could be due to delays in diagnosis and/or patients not being fully open to their doctors/nurses so please be open and honest about your concerns. - meaning CAMHS are majorly backed up so the appointment could take a while, so maybe write some stuff down that you can discuss during the appointment. You could also start a mood diary, as they may ask you do to one in regards to your assessment.

Now addressing some replies about experiencing mania, there are two types of the condition. Bipolar Type 1 patients will experience mania and serious depression (some may not experience depression - very rare). In Bipolar Type 2 Patients experience depression and Hypomania. Most patients with this type will present to their GP with complaints of serious depression over a period of time, although its when your GP asks if you ever experience times when you're the opposite mood that this could become apparent or your prescribed antidepressants and they induce mania or hypomania. So please address your concerns to your GP as they can start to assess you.

Best of Luck. If you have any questions please ask!
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
It might not be bipolar, it might be emotional dysregulation depending on how bad your mood swings are. I was diagnosed with emotional dysregulation which is a symptom of other mental health problems as well, but emotional dysregulation has symptoms of its own like crying fits, difficulty calming down when upset, extreme reactions to provocative stimuli, harbouring grudges, controlling other people’s relationships, high levels of anxiety etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%