lumoswizard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently writing my personal statement and I was wondering how much of the books you mention you need to know? Would they ask about specific literary devices, moments, quotes, etc... How much do you need to know about each text you mention?
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lumoswizard)
I am currently writing my personal statement and I was wondering how much of the books you mention you need to know? Would they ask about specific literary devices, moments, quotes, etc... How much do you need to know about each text you mention?
Hola lumoswizard,

Thanks for your query. We think that you should take care to select terms that you are confident you understand and would be able to discuss with the English selectors.

A sample narrative within a PS (which we have made up as an illustration) might run as follows:

"I am exploring the use of interextuality in AUTHOR A 's NOVEL X and using it as bridgehead to consider other texts. For example, I have found parallels with AUTHOR B's NOVEL Y and this has led me to appreciate how the coming of age literary genre varies across different periods and cultures."

You might reasonably be asked to say more about this. The selectors would not expect perfect recall of novels X or Y or you to be an expert on author A or B. They would be interested in how you had carried out your analysis and a line of Q&A would develop from the conversation. They might, for example, ask how an additional piece of information about X, Y, A or B altered your perspective.

As Ammz says, you will not necessarily be asked any questions. The selectors will meet to plan the interviews and will aim to follow a common structure in order to be fair to each candidate. But as the PS is out there, you should be mindful of how it might be read by selectors.

Brasenose Admissions
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi lumoswizard

I am currently writing a book about applying for Oxford called "Oxford demystified". Each of my contributors are current Oxford students, who are writing their own chapters about getting in. My son's girlfriend, in her final year of an English and classics degree, is finishing her chapter about English. when she has it I will tag you in.

Brasenose is always right in their advice so I would try to adhere to their comments. It is better to know a couple of texts inside out than to have skim read a hundred and them not meaning anything to you. When you have done your reading for the evening, I would advise you to put the book down and reflect what you have written. I would advise you to keep a notebook and write out anything you find interesting: quotes, literary devices. what do you find interesting about this book? Would you recommend it to others and why? Is it typical of a book of this period?

It may be useful to buy a literary companion

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Comp...gateway&sr=8-1

to help you put the book in context. Do not mention any literary devices on your PS if you don't know what they mean. This sounds daft, but my son went for a German interview and someone had mentioned a DVD in her PS which she had not watched all the way through. She was very nervous of them asking about the ending!

For the time being, here is my son's chapter about German. I know it is not English, but he says that that German degree is really literature with a bit of German thrown in.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6054206
(Original post by lumoswizard)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (49)
40.83%
Take autumn exams (44)
36.67%
Look for a job (2)
1.67%
Consider an apprenticeship (3)
2.5%
Take a year out (15)
12.5%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
5.83%

Watched Threads