The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2020 Applicants

Hi Guys, I'm a year 12 student and I am going to apply to Dentistry! I have visited my chosen university open days, so I am 100% sure this is the course I wish to pursue! I am going to apply to Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham, with my 5th option being Optometry at Manchester! Ive got my UCAT test on the 20th August and I am a Liverpool Scholar. I'm studying Biology, chemistry and psychology and predicted A's. A Liverpool scholar gets a reduced grade offer of ABB instead of AAA and the dentistry department have come back in contact with me to tell me that if I am predicted ABB and have a good UCAT score (they have no cut off) with band 1/2 in sjt, they will give me an interview! They have already read my personal statement and are more than happy to give me an interview! SO excited as I'm one step closer hopefully! I've had work experience in a Dental practice and a dental department at a hospital, also I'm looking out to do more!

I want to hear everyone else's journey to Dentistry, as all I ever hear about is Medicine applicants :biggrin: !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very cool, and very well prepared! Good luck for your future interviews and application process, look forward to hearing about it! :smile:
Aw, thank you very much, i really appreciate this :smile:
Original post by Deggs_14
Very cool, and very well prepared! Good luck for your future interviews and application process, look forward to hearing about it! :smile:
Reply 3
I hope you get your interviews! I have just finished year 11, and currently waiting on my GCSEs. What grades did you get, I'm curious. Can you please explain what a Liverpool scholar is? I also really want to apply for dentistry!
Hey I’ve just got my a level results today so I’m going to firm choice Cardiff this September to study dentistry. If you have any questions feel free to ask me because I know I did when I was applying. I applied to Cardiff Sheffield kings and Birmingham and got all my offers. I did bio Chem and maths if you need any help as well. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by helenburns
Hey I’ve just got my a level results today so I’m going to firm choice Cardiff this September to study dentistry. If you have any questions feel free to ask me because I know I did when I was applying. I applied to Cardiff Sheffield kings and Birmingham and got all my offers. I did bio Chem and maths if you need any help as well. Good luck!

I missed my grades for dentistry today. Had offers from KCL AND QMUL. If I am to resit 2 of my subjects-are there chances I can get in,? Do all Unis consider resist for Dentistry?
Reply 6
Original post by PSHA1812
I missed my grades for dentistry today. Had offers from KCL AND QMUL. If I am to resit 2 of my subjects-are there chances I can get in,? Do all Unis consider resist for Dentistry?

I think kcl accepts resits, and I'm thinking about it, but it's best to call them up. Not all unis accepts resits for dent tho, just a few
Original post by topazz
I think kcl accepts resits, and I'm thinking about it, but it's best to call them up. Not all unis accepts resits for dent tho, just a few

which unis accept resists??
I think Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Plymouth and manchester do but I'm not too sure
Reply 9
Original post by Anna Farziyeva
Hello, i was reading entry requirements for Manchester in the website. However, i couldn't find anything about UKCAT score. Is it important for that university or not?

Manchester looks at the SJT score more. You should have band 1 or 2 when applying there!
Reply 10
hey guys, I applied for 2019 entry and got offers from both kings dentistry courses and qmul, and I achieved 3A* on results day 15th August 2019. if u guys need any help feel free to pm me
Original post by helenburns

hi i am applying for dentistry for 2020 entry and my gcses are 2 9's, 4 8's, 4 A* and 1 A. MY alvels are predictied AAA in biology chemistry and french but I didn't do so well in the UCAT exam (500 VR, 590 DM, 630 QR and AR and band 2 for SJT. I was wondering if you had any advice or think that I may still have a chance in getting in?
Original post by zainab.yasin
hi i am applying for dentistry for 2020 entry and my gcses are 2 9's, 4 8's, 4 A* and 1 A. MY alvels are predictied AAA in biology chemistry and french but I didn't do so well in the UCAT exam (500 VR, 590 DM, 630 QR and AR and band 2 for SJT. I was wondering if you had any advice or think that I may still have a chance in getting in?

You would definitely get in, but maybe not Sheffield. They’re UCAT heavy and have cut offs of roughly 630 every year- Kings would deffo accept if you were interested in applying there
Reply 13
Original post by ReadilySalted
You would definitely get in, but maybe not Sheffield. They’re UCAT heavy and have cut offs of roughly 630 every year- Kings would deffo accept if you were interested in applying there

King's wont accept her. Her predicted A levels are below A*AA.

Plymouth is always a safe bet. They have a UCAT cut off point of 570, and 44% of applicants get offers - twice as much as any other uni for Dentistry.
Reply 14
Hi all,
I recently did my UCAT and it didn’t go to well, I got 600 overall and band 2 in SJT. From going to uni open days and from doing work experience I know my passion is dentistry. I got 2 9’s 3 8’s 2 7’s and 2 6’s. I am predicted A* A A for a levels and have done lots of work experience and volunteering. What would you say are sensible places to apply? Am I likely to get interviews?
Original post by zainab.yasin

Plymouth definitely is an option for you, but if you get an interview just be aware the dental school is relatively small so chances of an offer are lower. Your gcses are good so check cardiff and birmingham as they are gcse heavy unis. have you thought about doing the bmat? it might be a good alternative as many of the other unis are really ukcat heavy. if you can get your predicted grades to A*AA queen marys would be an option as i dont think they are as ukcat heavy.
hey guy's im a dental student youtuber and if you have any questions about dentistry leave them here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6099772 going to answer some and i'm going to create some youtube videos seeing as they could be helpful:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by ReadilySalted
Hi Guys, I'm a year 12 student and I am going to apply to Dentistry! I have visited my chosen university open days, so I am 100% sure this is the course I wish to pursue! I am going to apply to Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham, with my 5th option being Optometry at Manchester! Ive got my UCAT test on the 20th August and I am a Liverpool Scholar. I'm studying Biology, chemistry and psychology and predicted A's. A Liverpool scholar gets a reduced grade offer of ABB instead of AAA and the dentistry department have come back in contact with me to tell me that if I am predicted ABB and have a good UCAT score (they have no cut off) with band 1/2 in sjt, they will give me an interview! They have already read my personal statement and are more than happy to give me an interview! SO excited as I'm one step closer hopefully! I've had work experience in a Dental practice and a dental department at a hospital, also I'm looking out to do more!

I want to hear everyone else's journey to Dentistry, as all I ever hear about is Medicine applicants :biggrin: !

I applied to the exact same unis, I was a 2018 applicant tho. I ended up getting an interview from Manc and Liverpool and an offer from only Manchester. Luckily, I got the grades for manc which wouldve been my firm anyway. My UKCAT was too low for Sheffield, and my GCSEs didn't meet Bham standards.

PM or quote if anyone needs help with anything 👍🏼
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Nuttyy
I applied to the exact same unis, I was a 2019 applicant tho. I ended up getting an interview from Manc and Liverpool and an offer from only Manchester. Luckily, I got the grades for manc which wouldve been my firm anyway. My UKCAT was too low for Sheffield, and my GCSEs didn't meet Bham standards.

PM or quote if anyone needs help with anything 👍🏼

If you don’t mind me asking what did u get for UCAT. I want to apply to Sheffield but I think my UCAT is too low.
Original post by applesandalevels
hey guy's im a dental student youtuber and if you have any questions about dentistry leave them here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6099772 going to answer some and i'm going to create some youtube videos seeing as they could be helpful:smile:

huh that's really cool, alright. what subjects did you do, what year are you in, what were your grades, what uni are you in, why did you choose that uni? how was the mmi process, what unis did u apply for. Why dentistry? why not medicine?

Latest