The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zain333
If you don’t mind me asking what did u get for UCAT. I want to apply to Sheffield but I think my UCAT is too low.

I just realised that I was a 2018 applicant, not 2019. I've currently finished first Yr at manc.

I got 612 UKCAT with band 2. Don't apply if you got lower than that.
(edited 4 years ago)
I would double check Birmingham because they are gcse heavy like Cardiff. I think it was helpful if Cardiff to make sure you understood your application would be straight on the reject pike so that you dont waste one of your 4 options.

Have you considered Newcastle as they do partners for everyone that firs the criteria and give lowered offers. Also they are super friendly at interview.

Good luck with it all, there are a lot of hoops to jump through but my daughter is going into her 3rd year now and for her it gas been worth it.
Reply 22
Original post by Nuttyy
I just realised that I was a 2018 applicant, not 2019. I've currently finished first Yr at manc.

I got 612 UKCAT with band 2. Don't apply if you got lower than that.

I got 600 band 2. So I shouldn’t apply to Sheffield but what about Manchester?
Reply 23
Original post by rf8457
hey guys, I applied for 2019 entry and got offers from both kings dentistry courses and qmul, and I achieved 3A* on results day 15th August 2019. if u guys need any help feel free to pm me

hi if you wouldn't mind saying what were your ucat and gcses like. congrats btw xx
Reply 24
Original post by Zain333
I got 600 band 2. So I shouldn’t apply to Sheffield but what about Manchester?

Apply to Manchester as they don't really have a cut off like Sheffield. But make sure you're personal statement and non academic information form (another form thing they make you fill in) is on point.
Reply 25
Original post by Anna Farziyeva
I just want to ask a question.. My friend got disqualified from his GCSE science where his phone started ringing at the end of the exam. He wanted to do medicine with 3 A level science subjects but now he has to retake his gcse science (losing a year) and then he will do his A levels after a year. Can he still apply to medicine or do they ask a reason why he took a retake?

He could ask the college to allow him to do the 2 science subject and maths while also resitting his gcse. He can maybe get a reference from his old GCSE teachers saying he is good and well able to get a high grade, but was befallen to an unfortunate circumstance.

If they don't allow them to do so, then yh they can just retake the GCSE. I doubt they'd care about GCSE retakes as long as you have decent A level predicted grades. They'll have to mention it on UCAS tho.
Reply 26
Original post by Nuttyy
Apply to Manchester as they don't really have a cut off like Sheffield. But make sure you're personal statement and non academic information form (another form thing they make you fill in) is on point.

Do you think I would have a chance with Liverpool and Cardiff? Where else did you apply?
Original post by PSHA1812
I missed my grades for dentistry today. Had offers from KCL AND QMUL. If I am to resit 2 of my subjects-are there chances I can get in,? Do all Unis consider resist for Dentistry?

We're in a similar position.... Which subjects did you miss your grades in? Mine were chem and maths by a narrow margin. I've applied for remarks....
so far by my research we can still apply to sheffield, manchester, plymouth, keele, bristol and king's. But some only accept 1 resit.
Reply 28
Original post by Zain333
Do you think I would have a chance with Liverpool and Cardiff? Where else did you apply?

I had an interview from Lpool and Manc, idk about Cardiff.
Reply 29
Original post by Nuttyy
I had an interview from Lpool and Manc, idk about Cardiff.

If you don’t mind me asking what did you get for gcse’s, predicted a levels and what you achieved. Also how much work experience did you do.
Reply 30
What has everyone done to demonstrate manual dexterity?
Reply 31
Original post by Zain333
If you don’t mind me asking what did you get for gcse’s, predicted a levels and what you achieved. Also how much work experience did you do.

I got 1A* in physics and 10As for GCSE

I was predicted 3As (only after begging my teachers, I got DDC at AS LOOOL).

2 weeks.

My stats are really bad compared to them goons who've done 2 years of work ex lool
Reply 32
Original post by hwpo1
What has everyone done to demonstrate manual dexterity?

I talked about soldering parts on a motherboard n stuff.
Reply 33
Original post by Nuttyy
I talked about soldering parts on a motherboard n stuff.

Ahh rightt, thanks.

How are you finding dental school at the moment?
Anyone here going to apply to gateway to dentistry at bristol?
It looks pretty cool because of the reduced entry requirements which I'm most likely going to need because a levels are not going so well for me, despite being predicted A*AA lolz im going to ask teachers to change that so I can apply to this course.Has anyone got an idea of what a competitive ucat score would be to this course?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by hwpo1
Ahh rightt, thanks.

How are you finding dental school at the moment?

First year finished and I honestly found it reeaally easy. It was a breeze through, as are all first years in most courses. 2nd and 3rd year is where the hard work starts tbh. Start 2nd yr in Sept
Reply 36
Original post by ReadilySalted
You would definitely get in, but maybe not Sheffield. They’re UCAT heavy and have cut offs of roughly 630 every year- Kings would deffo accept if you were interested in applying there

Is King’s not strict on ucat?
Reply 37
Original post by Nuttyy
First year finished and I honestly found it reeaally easy. It was a breeze through, as are all first years in most courses. 2nd and 3rd year is where the hard work starts tbh. Start 2nd yr in Sept

Easier than A levels???
I wouldn't say easier than A levels as in my daughter who really didnt revise much for them ( lucky to have a really good memory coupled with ability to know what examiners want from a question) actually had to revise for her first year exams. And I think about 1/5 failed some.
Reply 39
Original post by RedHelenB
I wouldn't say easier than A levels as in my daughter who really didnt revise much for them ( lucky to have a really good memory coupled with ability to know what examiners want from a question) actually had to revise for her first year exams. And I think about 1/5 failed some.

Oh wow, 20% of people failed first year!???

Latest