UCAS application Watch

Matstu77
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there

I am new to the forum so hi 👋

I am looking to go to uni in September as a mature student. I applied in December but sadly was declined as I have no formal qualifications and no experience of work within the degree I applied for - so fair enough.

I want to apply through clearing for the Business Management & HR degree at the same uni that rejected me for the other course. I have 18 years experience of owning and running a company as well as currently working in HR so I’m hoping my chances are better now.

My question is, as my personal statement done 6 months and has already been submitted so I can’t change it, is the uni likely to see me as flighty for changing my mind in 6 months? I am sure when I call them tomorrow I will be able to submit on manually (I’m hoping) but any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lots of people change their mind between autumn applications and clearing, so this alone won't be a barrier to entry- most unis will accept that people change their mind and will consider applicants who've changed their mind in clearing.

When you phone, do treat it like a phone interview- so be prepared to explain your change of mind over the phone. Some unis may also want an additional PS, so there's no harm in writing one, but most unis will make their decision over the phone at this stage.
Admit-One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Matstu77)
Hi there

I am new to the forum so hi 👋

I am looking to go to uni in September as a mature student. I applied in December but sadly was declined as I have no formal qualifications and no experience of work within the degree I applied for - so fair enough.

I want to apply through clearing for the Business Management & HR degree at the same uni that rejected me for the other course. I have 18 years experience of owning and running a company as well as currently working in HR so I’m hoping my chances are better now.

My question is, as my personal statement done 6 months and has already been submitted so I can’t change it, is the uni likely to see me as flighty for changing my mind in 6 months? I am sure when I call them tomorrow I will be able to submit on manually (I’m hoping) but any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
A personal statement is generally not considered for Clearing applications at all. They won’t care that you previously applied for a different course. However they would only really be looking at your academic qualifications so you may struggle just as you did during the main cycle. Did they give you any feedback or recommendations to complete an Access to HE course before applying again?
Matstu77
Rep:
?
Thanks for your replies. Good to know that it may be a little straightforward this time round.

Sadly they didn’t give any feedback it was just a ‘no thanks’ letter. I originally applied for Forensic Psychology with foundation year but this time round I’ve gone for Business Management & HR with foundation year so at least for this course I have 18 years experience of running a business as well as working in a HR driven role.

I have prepared a statement this evening to have to hand just in case but really hoping they will make a decision quickly as really set my heart on joining.
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your replies. Good to know that it may be a little straightforward this time round.

Sadly they didn’t give any feedback it was just a ‘no thanks’ letter. I originally applied for Forensic Psychology with foundation year but this time round I’ve gone for Business Management & HR with foundation year so at least for this course I have 18 years experience of running a business as well as working in a HR driven role.

I have prepared a statement this evening to have to hand just in case but really hoping they will make a decision quickly as really set my heart on joining.
I don't know whether unis would require an Access to HE course or not, but it might be an idea to apply for one now just in case (they normally start at local colleges in September). Then if you do get accepted into a uni you can just decline your place on the Access course, but if you don't you already have your Plan B in place.
Matstu77
Rep:
?
Sadly I would be unable to do an access as there is no financial support through maintenance loans with them. I have a mortgage etc and doing an access full time would be impossible without an income coming in
Matstu77
Rep:
?
Hi all, just wanted to say thank you for all your advice. I’m pleased to say I got an offer on the management and Human Resources course this afternoon so absolutely over the moon 😀😀😀
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi all, just wanted to say thank you for all your advice. I’m pleased to say I got an offer on the management and Human Resources course this afternoon so absolutely over the moon 😀😀😀
Congratulations and thanks so much for letting us know!
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What a star you are, harrys
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
What a star you are, harrys
:hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%