bsa02
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm waiting for GCSE results and depending on my science grades I'm hoping to do A Level maths, biology and chemistry. I'm not convinced that I'm going to get the grade I need (66 in combined science) to study separate sciences so I might have to do BTEC Applied, worth 2 A Levels. Is this accepted into unis? I want to keep my options open because I don't know if I want to do veterinary or something like zoology, is it at all possible without the separate A Levels?
bsa02
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
one kid from my old sixth form college got into RVC with btec applied sciences. idk if she did an a-level or two on the side though.
Was that the Extended Diploma?
PinkTabbyKitten
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly its best to double check all the vet school websites or email them directly. You may need to take an a-level alongside or apply to gateway programmes - but it will vary at each university
bsa02
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkTabbyKitten)
Honestly its best to double check all the vet school websites or email them directly. You may need to take an a-level alongside or apply to gateway programmes - but it will vary at each university
Thank you, I'm taking maths alongside. What is a gateway programme?
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bsa02)
Gateway is a 6 year program - I don't think as many vet schools run them now as they used to. Typically they have a lower grade offer but you have to meet X amount of criteria (went to a bad school, bad sixth form, in care, from disadvantaged region etc) there are other 6 year courses if you get high grades in the wrong subjects also.
PinkTabbyKitten
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bsa02)
So you study for an extra year (making it a 6yr degree). The first year gets you up to a similar level as those who have AAA A-levels (or equivalent), plus teaching animal handling and basic veterinary modules.

Currently Bristol, Nottingham and RVC run them

- Bristol require DMM grades and for your college to be on a list of 'aspiring schools'
- Notts is DMM (but check course with them), then you have to meet 3 things from a list of criteria
- RVC is DDM and you have to either meet 3 things on their list or have attended a Sutton Trust Summer School with them

With new vet school opening e.g Harper/Keele - it's still worth checking that you aren't eligible for the 5yr programmes
bsa02
Rep:
?
(Original post by VMD100)
Gateway is a 6 year program - I don't think as many vet schools run them now as they used to. Typically they have a lower grade offer but you have to meet X amount of criteria (went to a bad school, bad sixth form, in care, from disadvantaged region etc) there are other 6 year courses if you get high grades in the wrong subjects also.
(Original post by PinkTabbyKitten)
So you study for an extra year (making it a 6yr degree). The first year gets you up to a similar level as those who have AAA A-levels (or equivalent), plus teaching animal handling and basic veterinary modules.

Currently Bristol, Nottingham and RVC run them

- Bristol require DMM grades and for your college to be on a list of 'aspiring schools'
- Notts is DMM (but check course with them), then you have to meet 3 things from a list of criteria
- RVC is DDM and you have to either meet 3 things on their list or have attended a Sutton Trust Summer School with them

With new vet school opening e.g Harper/Keele - it's still worth checking that you aren't eligible for the 5yr programmes
Thank you both so much! I definitely feel better about the whole thing.
Last edited by bsa02; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed