The Student Room Group

Mathematics at University

Hi there,
I am interested in studying Maths at Uni and was wondering if someone could answer my questions. Really would appreciate it. :-)
1. How good at Maths do you need to be in order to do it at Uni?
2. What are the similarities and differences to the Maths you do at A-Level?
3. Do you use Computer programmes like Python at Uni? - I'm not the best with computers.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JackDaltonFan
Hi there,
I am interested in studying Maths at Uni and was wondering if someone could answer my questions. Really would appreciate it. :-)
3. Do you use Computer programmes like Python at Uni? - I'm not the best with computers.
Thanks

Maths degrees vary enormously - you need to look at the content. Some are mainly 'pure' and focus on abstract topics like analysis but others include a lot of applied content like statistics and mechanics.

Some will include some programming and some will not ... I'd look at a few uni websites.

https://university.which.co.uk/subjects/maths
1. Very good, but hard working and resilient.
2. It is much more diverse. A lot of analysis, the basics of which you will know as calculus, a lot of abstract algebra and a number theory. Beyond that a lot of other topics are tagged on and often choices. There are biology, computer science, theoretical physics, statistics and financial mathematics possibilities depending on the university.
3. Don't worry. Not much of your degree will be using python, but it is a very good idea indeed to learn it. A very good idea indeed.
Hi there,
Thanks

Hi, I'm also planning to study maths at university.

1. It depends on the university you want to apply to - you will obviously have to be very good to go to Oxbridge but other universities have lower requirements. You should be able to meet the A-level offer requirements for the university you want to go to, and also be able to do adequately well in any admissions tests (STEP, MAT and TMUA are a few tests required by some of the top universities).

2. Maths at university is very different to A level. At A level, the focus is mainly on computation (you may have to calculate the value of a definite integral, or work out the equation of a line, or find the solutions to a system of equations). There's barely any proof in A level maths (or even further maths) but at university there's a lot more focus on proofs and rigorous definitions. You'll notice that all the A level calculus isn't really proved rigorously beyond saying 'this happens as x approaches 0' but at university in a course called analysis you'll learn to prove a lot of important results in calculus.

For example, when you differentiate a function you're implicitly assuming that the function is continuous and differentiable on a certain interval, which roughly says that there are no sharp points and you can draw the graph without taking your pen off the paper. At A level you don't move beyond this definition, but at uni you'll prove the definition of a continuous function:

A function f(x)f(x) is continuous if and only if
Unparseable latex formula:

\[ \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = f(c) \]

You can think of this in terms of the graph y=f(x)y=f(x). This roughly states that as you approach a certain value of x (call this value c) from either above or below, the y-value will get closer and closer to the actual value of f(c)f(c). A function such as tanx \tan{x} is not continuous since for example if you let x approach π2\frac{\pi}{2} (or 90 degrees, if you prefer) from below, the value of the function approaches positive infinity, whilst if you let x approach π2\frac{\pi}{2} or 90 degrees from above, the value of the function approaches negative infinity. Neither of these are finite numbers and are not the same, so this means the function is not continuous for all values of x.

3. It depends on the university - some offer computational modules but they shouldn't expect you to have any prior programming knowledge before you start the course.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GreenCub
Hi, I'm also planning to study maths at university.

1. It depends on the university you want to apply to - you will obviously have to be very good to go to Oxbridge but other universities have lower requirements. You should be able to meet the A-level offer requirements for the university you want to go to, and also be able to do adequately well in any admissions tests (STEP, MAT and TMUA are a few tests required by some of the top universities).

2. Maths at university is very different to A level. At A level, the focus is mainly on computation (you may have to calculate the value of a definite integral, or work out the equation of a line, or find the solutions to a system of equations). There's barely any proof in A level maths (or even further maths) but at university there's a lot more focus on proofs and rigorous definitions. You'll notice that all the A level calculus isn't really proved rigorously beyond saying 'this happens as x approaches 0' but at university in a course called analysis you'll learn to prove a lot of important results in calculus.

For example, when you differentiate a function you're implicitly assuming that the function is continuous and differentiable on a certain interval, which roughly says that there are no sharp points and you can draw the graph without taking your pen off the paper. At A level you don't move beyond this definition, but at uni you'll prove the definition of a continuous function:

A function f(x)f(x) is continuous if and only if
Unparseable latex formula:

\[ \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = f(c) \]

You can think of this in terms of the graph y=f(x)y=f(x). This roughly states that as you approach a certain value of x (call this value c) from either above or below, the y-value will get closer and closer to the actual value of f(c)f(c). A function such as tanx \tan{x} is not continuous since for example if you let x approach π2\frac{\pi}{2} (or 90 degrees, if you prefer) from below, the value of the function approaches positive infinity, whilst if you let x approach π2\frac{\pi}{2} or 90 degrees from above, the value of the function approaches negative infinity. Neither of these are finite numbers and are not the same, so this means the function is not continuous for all values of x.

3. It depends on the university - some offer computational modules but they shouldn't expect you to have any prior programming knowledge before you start the course.

Thanks for your very length reply! Appreciate it. What Uni do you want to study Maths at?
Original post by Muttley79
Maths degrees vary enormously - you need to look at the content. Some are mainly 'pure' and focus on abstract topics like analysis but others include a lot of applied content like statistics and mechanics.

Some will include some programming and some will not ... I'd look at a few uni websites.

https://university.which.co.uk/subjects/maths

Thanks for your reply :-)
Original post by marinade
1. Very good, but hard working and resilient.
2. It is much more diverse. A lot of analysis, the basics of which you will know as calculus, a lot of abstract algebra and a number theory. Beyond that a lot of other topics are tagged on and often choices. There are biology, computer science, theoretical physics, statistics and financial mathematics possibilities depending on the university.
3. Don't worry. Not much of your degree will be using python, but it is a very good idea indeed to learn it. A very good idea indeed.
Thanks for your very length reply! Appreciate it. What Uni do you want to study Maths at?

I'll be applying to Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL and one other. What unis are you looking at?
I'll be applying to Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL and one other. What unis do you want to study Maths at?

I'm wanting to do Maths with Education , so I can qualify as a Maths Teacher. I'll be applying to Striling, West Scotland and Stratcylde. Stirling is by far my preference
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for your reply :-)

The perception of maths between A-level and degree is different. Forget the twaddle about so called pure and applied. Maths is about research group areas as outlined above. Usually someone will like a couple more than the others but cover five or six areas overall.

Do things like numberphile interest you?
I'm wanting to do Maths with an Education Degre, so I can qualify as a Maths Teacher. I'll be applying to to Striling, West Scotland and Stratcylde. Stirling is by far my preference

For those universities you won't have to worry about admissions tests (as far as I know), and the A level offer requirements should be achievable.
By the way, you don't have to have a degree in education to become a teacher - is there a particular reason you're choosing this route?
For those universities you won't have to worry about admissions tests (as far as I know), and the A level offer requirements should be achievable.
By the way, you don't have to have a degree in education to become a teacher - is there a particular reason you're choosing this route?

I've heard its meant to be easier (from my Maths Teacher) to do it as one degree, as suppose to a Maths Degree and a separate PGDE.
The perception of maths between A-level and degree is different. Forget the twaddle about so called pure and applied. Maths is about research group areas as outlined above. Usually someone will like a couple more than the others but cover five or six areas overall.

Did you study further maths by any chance?
Original post by MajorFader

Just moved to Scotland, so no. However I'm going to be doing Advanced Higher Maths instead.
If you get a 2.1 you have a number of options such as teach first, schools direct as well as PGCE and education as part of the degree.
Original post by MajorFader

I didn't.

I went to a poor inner city college that didn't offer further maths. So I don't have that as an A-level. I did however have all the textbooks and was fully aware of the content and worked through it myself which did somewhat shock classmates and all but two lecturers. It was very common for everyone else in my classes to have Further Maths. A very large % of classmates on my degree went to private school or grammar school.

'twaddle' - this comment makes no sense - modules still tend to be classed as pure and applied - they were in my maths degree and in many others!
I studied diverse topics such as Galois theory [Pure], fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics.
If you get a 2.1 you have a number of options such as teach first, schools direct as well as PGCE and education as part of the degree.

Do not touch 'Teach first' btw.
I've heard its meant to be easier (from my Maths Teacher) to do it as one degree, as suppose to a Maths Degree and a separate PGDE.

It's more flexible to do a Maths degree then a post grad qualification but please do not touch 'Teach First'.

Do keep in mind that doing a joint maths and education degree may limit your university options - a lot of the higher ranked universities don't offer it.

Quick Reply

Latest