Jesus College Oxford
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there and welcome! :wavey:

This is the official thread for Jesus College Oxford: where you can ask us anything you’d like to know about studying and life at Jesus College.

Our Access and Outreach team will monitor this thread regularly and answer your queries as best as they can. We’re also hoping to run some ‘live chats’ in the future to offer guidance from current Jesus undergrads, so keep an eye here for further details.

You can find lots of useful info about our lovely College here, but do add a comment to this thread if you can’t find what you’re looking for. Make sure you check out our fantastic JCR (undergrads) site too!

We'll try to reply within 2 working days but in busier periods it may take longer.

All the best from Jesus College.

DISCLAIMER:
Please do not direct message our account with admissions queries. If you have a specific question relating to your application to Jesus College you should contact: [email protected] k.

Whilst we'll endeavour to give the best advice possible, everything we write here is for guidance only. For admissions queries: final admissions decisions will only be made by selectors at each college/department. If you have any specific admissions queries you should contact: [email protected] k.

We will NEVER disclose personal information or discuss individual cases/specific students.
Last edited by Jesus College Oxford; 1 year ago
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jesus College Oxford)

This is the official thread for Jesus College Oxford: where you can ask us anything you’d like to know about studying and life at Jesus College.

Our Access and Outreach team will monitor this thread regularly and answer your queries as best as they can. We’re also hoping to run some ‘live chats’ in the future to offer guidance from current Jesus undergrads, so keep an eye here for further details.

You can find lots of useful info about our lovely College here, but do add a comment to this thread if you can’t find what you’re looking for. Make sure you check out our fantastic JCR (undergrads) site too!

DISCLAIMER:
Whilst we'll endeavour to give the best advice possible, everything we write here is for guidance only. For admissions queries: final admissions decisions will only be made by selectors at each college/department. If you have any specific admissions queries you should contact: [email protected] k.

We will NEVER disclose personal information or discuss individual cases/specific students.
I guess I’d start this for you guys. Here are some general Qs:

1. Does Jesus College provide bursaries for students?
2. Will you join Lady Margaret Hall to admit students via the Foundation Scheme?
3. Jesus is unofficially called the “Welsh College”. Is this tag still valid and do you generally prefer students from Wales?
4. Are re-applicants to Jesus encouraged to apply?
5. What access schemes do you have for poor or underrepresented groups?
6. The University recently announced schemes to widen participation, would this disadvantage private school applicants over state school students?
Jesus College Oxford
Rep:
?
Many thanks for your Qs. Please see response below. Best Wishes, Jesus College Access & Outreach.

Yes. You can find information about Jesus College bursaries (and other University of Oxford financial assistance) here. We have also produced a Finance Sheet for 2020 entry which can be found here (note: financial support can be subject to change each year, this guide provides a general overview of the financial support currently available).

The University website has plenty of information about financial assistance available to students: see Fees and Funding.

2. Will you join Lady Margaret Hall to admit students via the Foundation Scheme?
At this stage Jesus College will not be in the first group of colleges to offer the Foundation Oxford programmes. We are, however, very much looking forward to supporting Opportunity Oxford and will be in the first cohort of colleges to welcome applicants onto this new bridging programme.

3. Jesus is unofficially called the “Welsh College”. Is this tag still valid and do you generally prefer students from Wales?
Due to the origin of its foundation, Jesus College is often referred to as the Welsh College. However, we do not ‘prefer’ students from any particular area. In order to manage outreach and access across the UK, the University’s outreach work is divided into regions, with colleges dedicated to specific link regions. Jesus College covers South Wales as one of its link regions, hence we do work a lot with students from Wales, however, we welcome applications from all countries and areas of the UK.

We do not advise either way – it is completely up to the applicant if they wish to reapply. They will be treated as a new applicant and their application will be assessed under the same framework as any other application.

The University runs several programmes aimed at increasing access of under-represented groups, such as its UNIQ and Pathways programmes. Two new programmes – Foundation Oxford and Opportunity Oxford – have recently been launched and expect to significantly increase the number of students at Oxford from deprived and underrepresented backgrounds. You can find plenty of information about all of these schemes here.

At Jesus College we have an extensive access programme to support state schools and encourage applications from students from underrepresented backgrounds. Please visit the Access & Outreach section of our website for full information about what we do, our link regions, access programmes etc. We also collaborate with several organisations to help support work focused on widening participation and increasing representation of under-represented groups in HE.

6. The University recently announced schemes to widen participation, would this disadvantage private school applicants over state school students?
The purpose of these schemes is to increase access for academically-talented students who may have experienced disadvantage or disruptive educations and/or come from demographics that are traditionally underrepresented at Oxford. The schemes are not intended to disadvantage any potential applicants from applying, regardless of what type of school they went to.

(Original post by Wired_1800)
I guess I’d start this for you guys. Here are some general Qs:

Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

DISCLAIMER:

First question, why is there a college named Jesus college?
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Hola Greywolftwo,

Because Brasenose was already taken (two Brasenoses would be ridiculous).

Hola Friend Jesus - neighbour on the Turl. Welcome to the Forum!
Last edited by BrasenoseAdm; 1 year ago
jassowal
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this is really funny. Well done BrasenoseAdm
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Hola Greywolftwo,

Because Brasenose was already taken (two Brasenoses would be ridiculous).

Hola Jesus - friendly neighbour on the Turl. Welcome to the Forum!
Jesus College Oxford
Rep:
?
Well, as established by BrasenoseAdm, Brasenose was already taken

However, an alternative explanation is that Jesus College was founded at the request of the former Treasurer of St David's Cathedral, Hugh Aprice. He wanted to establish an Oxford College for the education and training of Welsh clergymen. Today the College is a diverse mix of people and subjects.

Best wishes,

JC A&O

(Original post by Greywolftwo)
rachaellouwhite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

I visited Jesus College on the open day, and I absolutely fell in love. I’m coming back to Oxford in August for my summer holiday, will Jesus be open to the public?

Many thanks,
Rachael
Jesus College Oxford
Rep:
?
Hi there rachaellouwhite, glad to hear you liked Jesus as much as we do! Of course, Jesus is open for public visits all summer so please pop in again. If you drop an email to our Access and Admissions Assistant with an idea of what day you want to come up (Details here: https://www.jesus.ox.ac.uk/study-here/contacts) we can make sure the lodge knows you're a prospective student and not a tourist! We'd also be more than happy to show you around college, too.

Best wishes & see you soon,
JC A&O

(Original post by rachaellouwhite)
Hi,

I visited Jesus College on the open day, and I absolutely fell in love. I’m coming back to Oxford in August for my summer holiday, will Jesus be open to the public?

Many thanks,
Rachael
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it embarrassing being called “Jesus college” if you’re not religious / Christian? Do people find it difficult / uncomfortable to say their college name as it’s biblical?
TrotskyiteRebel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Was Jesus wearing Yeezys on the cross?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Is it embarrassing being called “Jesus college” if you’re not religious / Christian? Do people find it difficult / uncomfortable to say their college name as it’s biblical?
You could always pronounce it in the Spanish way, i.e. say you go to "hey-seuss" college

A lot of colleges at both universities have "religious" names (for example, both Trinity, Corpus Christi, and Jesus Colleges, all of the various "St" colleges, etc), although it's quite likely many if not most students at those colleges are not specifically Christian of some variety and may come from a wide range of religious beliefs (including not having any). Since they aren't primarily focused on religious education (unlike for example some of the PPHs at Oxford), it's also likely many if not most of the fellows are likewise not specifically religious.

I'd be surprised if any member of the college felt it particularly uncomfortable, as such (if anything it might be those who are more strongly Christian might feel it uncomfortable for them, compared to those who aren't religious). At the very least, you can know there are plenty of other people who have that potential quandary as above (which doesn't even name all the colleges with such ostensibly religious names, there are a few others besides). I imagine if anyone did become confused, after the first time of having it explained to them it wouldn't make any difference beyond that.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Many Oxbridge Colleges have religious names and links.
Jesus College Oxford
Rep:
?
Hey Deggs_14 - there's no particular focus on the Christian religion in Jesus at all! We've held onto the name because of the college's history (as mentioned above!) of training Welsh clergymen way back when the college was founded in 1571, but now we welcome students of all different faiths and backgrounds, and have done for quite a while.

As for how strange it is to call your home Jesus - you'd be surprised at how quickly it becomes totally normal! As a few others have said, there's a couple of colleges with religious names, so it just becomes normal for everyone (no matter what faith!) to use them. Even at football matches or rowing competitions, people chant 'Jesus' or, for example, 'Christ Church' at the top of their lungs without batting an eyelid!

james66
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How far away is the 2nd and 3rd year accommodation from the city centre and how long does it take to travel the distance? How does accommodation compare in price and quality to other colleges?
hogree
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by james66)
How far away is the 2nd and 3rd year accommodation from the city centre and how long does it take to travel the distance? How does accommodation compare in price and quality to other colleges?
hey am a current 2nd year student moving into 3rd year at the moment at Jesus!! 2nd year accomm is a pacy 5 minute cycle into college and about a 20 minute walk - straight roads so actually a decent bit of exercise for the morning. 3rd year is more like a 10 minute cycle, maybe just under. Price of accommodation in 2nd and 3rd year last I checked was £18 per person per day which I think is about normal in Oxford? 2nd year accomm is decent, 3rd year accomm is properly beautiful - and as you probably know, we also all live together in 2nd year and in 3rd year which is really nice for maintaining the sense of college community which is more lost in some colleges where you have to find your own accommodation in other years. do shout or pm if you've got any more qs
Jesus College Oxford
Rep:
?
(Original post by james66)
Hi james66!

Thank you for your question. As hogree explains below, 2nd and 3rd year accommodation is a short cycle or nice walk to/from the College. The annexe sites are in North and East Oxford, no more than 3km from the main College. You can find out more about the sites, plus the most current information on leases and costs here: https://www.jesus.ox.ac.uk/study-her.../accommodation.

Best wishes,

JC A&O
Solo13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does the college have a ladies football team?
Jesus College Oxford
Rep:
?
(Original post by Solo13)
Does the college have a ladies football team?
Hi Solo13,

Yes, Jesus College has a women's football team. You can find out more about the various sports teams: undergraduates and graduates.

Best wishes,

JC A&O
Solo13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Solo13,

Yes, Jesus College has a women's football team. You can find out more about the various sports teams: undergraduates and graduates.

Best wishes,

JC A&O

Many thanks for that.

Unfortunately didn't get to Jesus on the open day - hadn't planned to apply to Oxford - that changed after the open day!! Made a shortlist of college's and decided on Jesus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (89)
13.97%
I'm not sure (30)
4.71%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (201)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.2%
I'm not a current university student (303)
47.57%

Watched Threads