If I go below the word limit will my assignment still pass? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
OK so in our university usually if you hand something in with a low word count limit they take 5 marks away as a penalty. What if you already handed in your assignment late so its automatically capped at 40 percent, and you still go below the word count?

Since it automatically goes to 40 does that mean it drops to 35 regardless of how well you might have done overall or do they still count your total marks so if you got a score of 55 and then take 5 marks away from that because of the word count penalty, but because you would have still passed because its over 40 I would still make 40 percent? which way does it work?
Advertisement
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
OK so in our university usually if you hand something in with a low word count limit they take 5 marks away as a penalty. What if you already handed in your assignment late so its automatically capped at 40 percent, and you still go below the word count?

Since it automatically goes to 40 does that mean it drops to 35 regardless of how well you might have done overall or do they still count your total marks so if you got a score of 55 and then take 5 marks away from that because of the word count penalty, but because you would have still passed because its over 40 I would still make 40 percent? which way does it work?
How would anyone know except (1) those in your university (and we don't know which) and (2) those who mark your work?

Can you give us more details?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
How would anyone know except (1) those in your university (and we don't know which) and (2) those who mark your work?

more details how? I'm just a student I dont know anymore than that?

I cant ask anyone at my university right now but I'm just asking as a general rule how would universities add the scores up
Advertisement
Anonymous #1

I go to the univeristy of Winchester
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
That's a good start. I have moved your thread here so hopefully other students of this Uni can answer your question.

Do you mind telling us the course?

I expect that different Unis (and even different departments within the Uni, and maybe even different professors within a department!) will have different rules so it's hard to answer such a question.
Advertisement
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago

What is the word limit?
How far are you below it?
Is there a stated minimum?
The cap is applied as the final stage of scoring, although each uni has its own rules thats how I would expect it to work.
Last edited by 999tigger; 3 months ago
Anonymous #1
That's a good start. I have moved your thread here so hopefully other students of this Uni can answer your question.

Do you mind telling us the course?

I expect that different Unis (and even different departments within the Uni, and maybe even different professors within a department!) will have different rules so it's hard to answer such a question.
Psychology BSc Hons is my course. Thank you
Advertisement
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
According to your assessment guidelines it is very much up to the policy of your department and indeed the specific module. Extracts from your assessment regulations below:

Specifying Penalties
4.7 The Module and/or Programme Handbook shall state in the assessment criteria for each assessment whether penalties shall be imposed for exceeding and/or undershooting word limits and, where
penalties will apply, must include the details of penalties:

a) applying to submissions for substantive marks;
b) applying to submissions for a capped mark;
c) applying to submissions for modules graded pass/fail only;
d) whether deductions could result in the overall mark dropping below a pass.

4.9 Penalties include:
a) where any excess is penalised, this could mean that work beyond the word limit would not be
marked (although it could receive feedback);
b) a percentage of the raw score deducted, eg 10% for a lesser infringement and 20% for a
greater infringement;
c) result capped to the minimum pass mark;
d) automatic fail for second attempts and/or modules graded pass/fail only;
e) omission of the word count from the cover sheet could mean work is not accepted for
marking;
f) significantly incorrect word count recorded on the cover sheet could mean work capped at
minimum pass mark;
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
What is the word limit?
How far are you below it?
Is there a stated minimum?
The cap is applied as the final stage of scoring, although each uni has its own rules thats how I would expect it to work.
it doesn't really matter how far down the word limit is as long as it's not something stupid like 500 on a 1500 word limit. But the rules are if it's too much or too less then 5 marks are deducted.

so does that mean if I would have got passed a 40 overall even with the word count limit Mark's bring deducted I can still pass?
Advertisement
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ageshallnot)
According to your assessment guidelines it is very much up to the policy of your department and indeed the specific module. Extracts from your assessment regulations below:

Specifying Penalties
4.7 The Module and/or Programme Handbook shall state in the assessment criteria for each assessment whether penalties shall be imposed for exceeding and/or undershooting word limits and, where
penalties will apply, must include the details of penalties:

a) applying to submissions for substantive marks;
b) applying to submissions for a capped mark;
c) applying to submissions for modules graded pass/fail only;
d) whether deductions could result in the overall mark dropping below a pass.

4.9 Penalties include:
a) where any excess is penalised, this could mean that work beyond the word limit would not be
marked (although it could receive feedback);
b) a percentage of the raw score deducted, eg 10% for a lesser infringement and 20% for a
greater infringement;
c) result capped to the minimum pass mark;
d) automatic fail for second attempts and/or modules graded pass/fail only;
e) omission of the word count from the cover sheet could mean work is not accepted for
marking;
f) significantly incorrect word count recorded on the cover sheet could mean work capped at
minimum pass mark;

So does this mean it's up to them to decide and we dont actually have a chance of knowing until my results get back?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
it doesn't really matter how far down the word limit is as long as it's not something stupid like 500 on a 1500 word limit. But the rules are if it's too much or too less then 5 marks are deducted.

so does that mean if I would have got passed a 40 overall even with the word count limit Mark's bring deducted I can still pass?
Ok thanks for telling me, think you are better off answering your own question or letting ecolier handle it and I will answer another thread.
Advertisement
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
So does this mean it's up to them to decide and we dont actually have a chance of knowing until my results get back?
Check the module regulations.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Check the module regulations.
alright. thanks for your help
Advertisement
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
alright. thanks for your help
The general assessment regulations say that such penalties should be specified in the module regs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Winchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Winchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads