mstrkaan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So ill be going off to uni soon and im not sure if i should build a pc for uni. ill be doing game development in staffordshire. i know these courses tend to have powerful machines in the classrooms but i dont know if i should build a pc of my own to have in my own form room or buy a powerful laptop as i know a laptop can be usefull in a uni environment. but the thing is, i already own a decent laptop that may be able to do some high level games programming but i may run into some limitations with this laptop.

any advice would help.

thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by mstrkaan)
So ill be going off to uni soon and im not sure if i should build a pc for uni. ill be doing game development in staffordshire. i know these courses tend to have powerful machines in the classrooms but i dont know if i should build a pc of my own to have in my own form room or buy a powerful laptop as i know a laptop can be usefull in a uni environment. but the thing is, i already own a decent laptop that may be able to do some high level games programming but i may run into some limitations with this laptop.

any advice would help.

thanks
Contact
https://www.staffsunion.com/activiti...putingsociety/
https://www.staffsunion.com/activiti...y/staffsvgdev/
https://www.staffsunion.com/activiti...nigamesandvfx/

They should give you an idea.

I have always preferred desktop for power, reliability and upgradeability options.
Very good time to build a pc at the moment with low cpu, memory and ssd prices.
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi mstrkaan

It might be worth direct messaging our Games team for some advice as well.

You can get in touch via https://www.facebook.com/staffsgamesdesign/

Hope this helps,

Thanks, ^Shaun

(Original post by mstrkaan)

any advice would help.

thanks
StaffsUniMaxie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey there!

So, I've just completed my degree (also at Staffs, coincidentally), not in anything as computer intensive as a games dev course but I've spent my past year debating getting (and saving up for) a PC. I finally bit the bullet and built myself one last month, and now that I have one, I'm realizing all the ways my uni life would've been easier with it!

I guess my advice is that - if I were you - I'd definitely consider it! Don't bother with a high power laptop, imo. They're so expensive and don't always perform as well. What I'm doing for my Master's is having my PC in my flat, and taking my lil Surface Pro 3 into lectures - so you could do that with your current laptop. And the benefit of building your PC yourself is that, if you find you need better performance, you can upgrade certain elements and not have to buy a whole new PC/stay stuck with something that's not powerful enough for what you want.

Also, the great thing about building a PC when you're in Stoke is that you're only a 10min drive from Overclockers UK.

Hope this helps!

- Gee
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?