The Student Room Group

How important is free speech

I'm writing a story based around free speech and I wanted to gather some opinions. How important do you believe is free speech? How would you feel if it was taken away?
Reply 1
Less important than a free bar
Reply 2
Very important, if you can’t criticize a leader/leading body then what is there to stop them from abusing power, I hope this helps
I think one needs to distinguish free sppech (criticising the government) with free speech (being vile and full of hatred of others)
Original post by 20thurma
Very important, if you can’t criticize a leader/leading body then what is there to stop them from abusing power, I hope this helps

Free speech isn’t a part of the British constitution or law like it is in America, yes it’s important but when it comes to dis domination or racism that’s hate speech
Original post by Greywolftwo
Free speech isn’t a part of the British constitution or law like it is in America, yes it’s important but when it comes to dis domination or racism that’s hate speech

There speaks someone who has not read the Human Rights Act 1998, which specifically makes it part of British law. Racism is not necessarily hate speech, and most isn't.
Reasonable free speech within the law is an absolutely crucial aspect of life in a pluralistic democratic nation.
Calmly criticizing ideas, discussing current events, exchanging opinions on past/present issues and analyzing the conduct of politicians/businesses/charities/the media/judges- all core elements of a society that rejects totalitarianism and the creation of an authoritarian state.
But there is a big difference between private verbal speech, comments made at a public meeting before a crowd, written and broadcast content.
Electronic messaging, phone calls and publishing is covered under different laws- some of which are quite ancient and go back to the enforced "decency" era.

But there are legal limitations to free speech, necessary to safeguard national security and public order.
The official secrets act, contempt of court laws, ban on jurors ever publicly revealing criminal trial jury deliberations, incitement to criminal offences, laws against false advertising claims, harassment, slander and the ban on religious leaders having direct involvement in political campaigns/ attempting to use the words of religious figures to influence voters.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
There speaks someone who has not read the Human Rights Act 1998, which specifically makes it part of British law. Racism is not necessarily hate speech, and most isn't.

I know it’s in the law but it’s not spoken of as much in the uk
very important. it's quite frustrating when it's taken away but it won't always prevent me from speaking my mind.
Original post by Greywolftwo
I know it’s in the law but it’s not spoken of as much in the uk

So you know the opposite of what you claimed in your first post is true, but just because you think Britons don't spout about it a great deal you thought you would perpetrate the misleading statement? That makes a lot of sense.
Original post by Good bloke

We have freedom of expression not freedom of speech. Allows for laws against hate speech to be enforced
Sure if you want the state to tell you what you can and cannot say then be anti-freedom of speech.

Quds day? hate speech rally

A lot of people are anti-freedom of speech until it effects them..

They then use a few examples like some racist trolls to justify mass censorship
Original post by Prussianxo
We have freedom of expression not freedom of speech. Allows for laws against hate speech to be enforced

They are synonymous phrases. Sigh.
Original post by SoftGingerCat
I'm writing a story based around free speech and I wanted to gather some opinions. How important do you believe is free speech? How would you feel if it was taken away?

We've never had freedom of speech in the UK, and we've got on fine for hundreds of years. So it's not important at all.
Reply 14
Original post by 20thurma

They abuse it anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending