Other drivers getting frustrated with me however I am sticking to the speed limit? Watch

DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's statistically more dangerous to drive slower than the general speed of traffic than to drive at it, even if the general speed is above the limit. (but slow down for speed cameras).
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some people just take any excuse to be frustrated, to be honest.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just drive with the speed of traffic. That's the safest way. What are the police gonna do if everyone is going a bit over the limit, pull everyone over? Obviously if there's one person in front doing 15mph over the limit then don't feel obligated to keep up, but in a 30 you can safely drive at an indicated 33 without getting nabbed by the police or cameras. If someone gets up your arse at that speed then you're well within your rights to just assume they're a ******** who's being unreasonable about their frustrations in the speed at which you're driving.
J0n3zviper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
You need to get a grip if you think it's "the wrong thing".

If you don't go with the flow of traffic, you are a danger. It's simple.

Driving is NOT black and white; common sense is required.
Whilst I 100% agree with you. Surely doing 33mph would result in points if caught?
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The drivers that cause a lot of frustration are the type that do 25mph in a 30 zone just incase they accidently go 31mph. Automatic camera's will give you a buffer zone of 10% + 2mph. So in a 30mph zone you won't be prosecuted until you're above 35mph. At the same time, at 30mph most cars are actually doing 27mph. It's illegal for a car to underestimate your speed and as such due to accuracy issues most cars overestimate.

You're not breaking the law if you're driving 30mph, you're in the right. At the same time, are you dropping as low at 25mph to ensure you don't creep up to 31?
(Original post by J0n3zviper)
What if a speed camera is near?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J0n3zviper)
Whilst I 100% agree with you. Surely doing 33mph would result in points if caught?
Rarely. An indicated 33mph wouldn't be above 30mph anyway, so it's a moot point.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Having brand new tyres at 39 psi (fuel economy) pressure will give you about a 3% different speedo reading to three quarters worn tyres at 34 psi (comfort) pressure.

Almost every car that I have driven has had a speedo that said that the car was travelling at about 5% faster than it actually was. IE 4% exageration on new tyres, 7% exageration on nearly worn out tyres.

It's probably an industry standard marketing thing so that on test drives you think the car is a bit faster and more responsive than it actually is.

In most cars - subject to the driver finding out how far the speedo is out, by driving past several speed warning radars - it is entirely valid and legal to drive in 30 zones at an indicated 32 or 33. That's because you would be doing an actual 29 to 30 mph. It's your actual speed that counts, not the indicated one.

Having said that, if you want to drive at an indicated 30 and therefore an actual 28 mph then that is fine too and round town will make almost no difference to the arrival time. There's no point in racing between traffic lights.
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The pressure figures depend on the car.
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Having brand new tyres at 39 psi (fuel economy) pressure will give you about a 3% different speedo reading to three quarters worn tyres at 34 psi (comfort) pressure.

Almost every car that I have driven has had a speedo that said that the car was travelling at about 5% faster than it actually was. IE 4% exageration on new tyres, 7% exageration on nearly worn out tyres.

It's probably an industry standard marketing thing so that on test drives you think the car is a bit faster and more responsive than it actually is.

In most cars - subject to the driver finding out how far the speedo is out, by driving past several speed warning radars - it is entirely valid and legal to drive in 30 zones at an indicated 32 or 33. That's because you would be doing an actual 29 to 30 mph. It's your actual speed that counts, not the indicated one.

Having said that, if you want to drive at an indicated 30 and therefore an actual 28 mph then that is fine too and round town will make almost no difference to the arrival time. There's no point in racing between traffic lights.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
The pressure figures depend on the car.
The recommended figures, yes, but the math still checks out.

(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
It actually spans from the legislation that states a speedo cannot underread. To avoid liability, the manufacturers simply include an artificial inaccuracy of varying degrees to ensure it never underreads.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The recommended figures, yes, but the math still checks out.

It actually spans from the legislation that states a speedo cannot underread. To avoid liability, the manufacturers simply include an artificial inaccuracy of varying degrees to ensure it never underreads.
Yeah, but they could easily make the reading spot on accurate with new fully pumped tyres. But they don't.

And no manufacturer is going to admit to such a cheap marketing trick, are they? Not when alomost everyone else is at it too.
maths42
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What's funny is that often when the speed limit is 30, there are signs that say "twenty's plenty", yet no one goes at 20 and I'm sure it would piss people off!

I personally go way below the speed limit for speed cameras despite the tolerance and speedos overreading as it's just not worth risking getting done for speeding in my personal opinion.
OddOnes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You need to get a grip if you think it's "the wrong thing".

If you don't go with the flow of traffic, you are a danger. It's simple.

Driving is NOT black and white; common sense is required.
You're awfully hostile just for being called out.

Those people are speeding. They should slow down to the correct speed. Now on a duel carriageway, yes you need to drive fast to be safe. On a 30 mile an hour road through a town with a lot of bends? No, keep it slow or you risk causing an accident like the speeders.
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by shnac99)
If someone starts tailgating me I just slow down even more and that really pisses the off but I don’t care since I’m rarely in a rush.
I wouldn’t go over what your speedometer says if you have a black box or you could install a digital one as it may be more accurate?
Why not be a little more considerate of others and pull over to let them past if you're in no rush?
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To intentionally slow down significantly below the speed limit because of a tailgater is rather petty.
shnac99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Considering tailgating is illegal then they’re in the wrong and anyways they’ll likely overtake if they’re so desperate to speed.
Also I will not consider speeding even a little just to “benefit” some inconsiderate ***** that don’t wish to follow the rules of the road.
And regarding going slower than the speed limit as long as I’m driving safe then I can go whatever speed I feel most comfortable and if that happens to be 25 in a 30 zone then so be it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by shnac99)
Considering tailgating is illegal then they’re in the wrong and anyways they’ll likely overtake if they’re so desperate to speed.
Also I will not consider speeding even a little just to “benefit” some inconsiderate ***** that don’t wish to follow the rules of the road.
And regarding going slower than the speed limit as long as I’m driving safe then I can go whatever speed I feel most comfortable and if that happens to be 25 in a 30 zone then so be it.
Why not just pull over and let them past though?
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If anyone tailgates you just slow down to an absolute crawl until they get the message.
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mhsc)
If anyone tailgates you just slow down to an absolute crawl until they get the message.
Sure, if you're a bit of a **** or enjoy dealing with road rage.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the beer)
Sure, if you're a bit of a **** or enjoy dealing with road rage.
No choice if someone is endangering you and your passengers.
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mhsc)
No choice if someone is endangering you and your passengers.
You should pull over and let them past.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise