The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I can’t pull over safely on most roads near where I live there’s generally only 1 or 2 places where your legally allowed to stop and pull in so it’s not really an option
Original post by mhsc
That isn't always possible

Course it is.
Depending on the road, 30mph can feel slow. There's a really long road I use regularly that's almost straight off a motorway. No chance to overtake, but the limit is 30, and there are about 4 cameras set up along the length of the road. So I will not be speeding. But it always frustrates me as it feels ridiculously slow after driving at 70 for so long.

While you could get away with driving a little faster (when I pass sensors that tell you your speed, they're usually 3-4mph lower than what my car tells me, plus then there's a small amount of leeway before you would get fined - so if my speedo showed 36mph I would probably be borderline in a 30 - not that I'm advocating that), if you don't want to, you don't have to. The worst thing you can do while driving is allow your attention to be diverted by anyone else. Concentrate on being a safe driver, and it sounds as though you're doing that. You will most likely relax into it anyway, to be honest, if you've not been driving long :smile:.
Original post by shnac99
I can’t pull over safely on most roads near where I live there’s generally only 1 or 2 places where your legally allowed to stop and pull in so it’s not really an option

Nonsense. Do you force emergency vehicles to sit behind you and observe the speed limit?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 44
Making a dangerous stop in order to support the emergency services is not the same as pulling over to allow some ******* to drive at 45 in a 30.

It is a crime to drive above the speed limit and with good reason. Speed kills. You are not just endangering your own life when you drive recklessly, so stop being selfish and follow the same rules that everyone else has to.
Original post by mhsc
Making a dangerous stop in order to support the emergency services is not the same as pulling over to allow some ******* to drive at 45 in a 30.

Why not?

Original post by mhsc
It is a crime to drive above the speed limit and with good reason. Speed kills. You are not just endangering your own life when you drive recklessly, so stop being selfish and follow the same rules that everyone else has to.

Do you see yourself as a vigilante?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by the beer
Nonsense. Do you force emergency vehicles to sit behind you and observe the speed limit?

You're seriously equating the two?
Original post by julietlima3
You're seriously equating the two?

No, i'm saying there should be plenty of opportunity to pull over to let someone past.
do you have a pussy plate on? drivers routinely take the piss out of people with the P plate
No, i'm saying there should be plenty of opportunity to pull over to let someone past.

Why should someone who is driving at the speed limit pull over for others who want to (illegally) break the speed limit? This isn't even about vigilantism or trying to enforce the law.
Why should someone who is driving at the speed limit pull over for others who want to (illegally) break the speed limit? This isn't even about vigilantism or trying to enforce the law.

Because that is the considerate and right thing to do.
To intentionally slow down significantly below the speed limit because of a tailgater is rather petty.

Not really. If you need to slam on the brakes then they're likely going to crash into you. The slower you're going, the less damage they'll do and the more time they'll have to react.
Original post by Student-95
Not really. If you need to slam on the brakes then they're likely going to crash into you. The slower you're going, the less damage they'll do and the more time they'll have to react.

You're just going to needlessly piss them off, just pull over and let them past, really isn't difficult.
You're just going to needlessly piss them off, just pull over and let them past, really isn't difficult.

On the contrary, they are needlessly pissing me off. As they are the ones breaking the law they are in the wrong.
On the contrary, they are needlessly pissing me off. As they are the ones breaking the law they are in the wrong.

And you pissing them off helps how exactly? The highway codes advice is very clear, pull over and let them past or you're as bad as them.
And you pissing them off helps how exactly? The highway codes advice is very clear, pull over and let them past or you're as bad as them.

I already explained how - you give them more time to react and lower the damage if they hit you.
I already explained how - you give them more time to react and lower the damage if they hit you.

A pissed off driver is more likely to hit you, if they're not tailgating you because you pulled over then they're even less likely to hit you, what's so hard about pulling over?
A pissed off driver is more likely to hit you, if they're not tailgating you because you pulled over then they're even less likely to hit you, what's so hard about pulling over?

All the more reason to lower the speed of the impact. It's very rare that there would be any need to pull over. They will either back off or overtake.
All the more reason to lower the speed of the impact. It's very rare that there would be any need to pull over. They will either back off or overtake.

What exactly is the problem with pulling over?
Reply 59

The highway code states you should pull over if you're going significantly under the speed limit, this is aimed at vehicles like tractors. Even HGV's aren't expected to pull over doing 50 in a 60, let alone a car doing 30 in a 30.

Also, call it petty all you want but I'd rather scare someone now who's unnecessarily close to me to put them off in the future rather than have them run into me when I really need to brake in an emergency.

Latest

Trending

Trending