Other drivers getting frustrated with me however I am sticking to the speed limit? Watch

the beer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
They are universally idiots, and letting them get away with bullying would not sit well with me.
Get a rear facing dash cam and send footage off to the police then.
J0n3zviper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
The best advice is to aim to drive at around the limit under normal conditions but to remember that if your speedo is indicating 30 mph then you are probably only doing 27 mph. Find out, using GPS, how much your speedo over-reads at the speed limits (20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70mph) and drive accordingly.

If you are on the open road and want a relaxed, slow, drive (say 50mph on a 60mph road) then feel free to do so but be aware of other road users.
I did 21mph in a 20 and to my surprise one of those signs that monitor your speed gave me a sad face and displayed 21mph. Frigging ridiculous really, 21mph and I'm the bad guy. The thing about these speeding rules I find frustrating is keeping your car at exactly 30mph is actually quite hard, its bound to go up and down as you drive down a long road.. Unless you have a foot made of steal and no nerves.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
B3ar93
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t know why, but when there is someone driving right up my arse, they tend to be in either a BMW or an Audi... is there something about these cars that prevents them staying the 5 seconds away?!
Just take your time OP, much like in every other aspect of life, you just gotta do your own thing while being aware of what’s going on around you.
Last edited by B3ar93; 4 weeks ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cazemma)
the speed limit is a limit not a target! ignore everyone else if your Speedo says 30 you are in the right and everyone else will have to get over it. everyone in too much of a hurry and that causes accidents.
Only it is a target, because if conditions allow you should be at that speed - you would fail a test for failure to make progress otherwise.

If you're too lacking in confidence to drive at an appropriate speed, you shouldn't be driving, as it's driving outside the flow of traffic that causes congestion.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the beer)
Get a rear facing dash cam and send footage off to the police then.
Not really sufficient evidence of a crime; dashcams obscure the footage.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by B3ar93)
I don’t know why, but when there is someone driving right up my arse, they tend to be in either a BMW or an Audi... is there something about these cars that prevents them staying the 5 seconds away?!
Just take your time OP, much like in every other aspect of life, you just gotta do your own thing while being aware of what’s going on around you.
5 seconds? That's a pretty sizable gap....
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Only it is a target, because if conditions allow you should be at that speed - you would fail a test for failure to make progress otherwise.

If you're too lacking in confidence to drive at an appropriate speed, you shouldn't be driving, as it's driving outside the flow of traffic that causes congestion.
You would get a minor, possibly.. Unless you chose to drive at 10mph in a 30mph zone on a clear stretch of road then you would probably fail.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by J0n3zviper)
You would get a minor, possibly.. Unless you chose to drive at 10mph in a 30mph zone on a clear stretch of road then you would probably fail.
Enough minor's and you'd get a serious.. so doing it more than twice in an hour..
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
Enough minor's and you'd get a serious.. so doing it more than twice in an hour..
16 minors is a fail..
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
16 minors is a fail..
So is multiple minors in the same category.
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can fail your driving test for going too slow and I also know somebody prosecuted for dangerous driving (or without due care, can't recall which) for driving well below the limit in conditions that allowed the driver to go faster.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
So is multiple minors in the same category.
Why do you think you are the DVLA?
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is nothing considerate about driving so close to another car that you endanger them, and may even end up killing them. So arguing that they should pull over is ridiculous.

They are following the law and you are not. You are de facto in the wrong. You are literally a criminal. You cannot take a moral standpoint. The law exists for a reason.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why do you think you are the DVLA?
I don't? I'm telling you the facts.

For the record, though, it is the DVSA that carry out driving tests, not the DVLA.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
You can fail your driving test for going too slow and I also know somebody prosecuted for dangerous driving (or without due care, can't recall which) for driving well below the limit in conditions that allowed the driver to go faster.
You will not fail for doing 28 in a 30.. If you did 10 in a 30 when you don't need to then yes you probably would.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
I don't? I'm telling you the facts.

For the record, though, it is the DVSA that carry out driving tests, not the DVLA.
Leave plz
Last edited by J0n3zviper; 4 weeks ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Leave plz
I'm afraid you don't have that right on a public bulletin board.
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For what its worth I failed my first driving test for driving too slowly (maybe 20 in a 30) and also been pulled over for the same reason... Now I just drive at close to if not the same speed as the one or two cars ahead (provided they aren't going insanely fast). Usually this is around 30 maybe 33ish; but speedos are usually out by 2-3mph at least. So when the speedo reads 30 its probably closer to 27, of course that varies depending on your car and tyres etc. When I'm using cruise control at 70mph according to the car, Google Maps claims 67mph.
Last edited by TajwarC; 4 weeks ago
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well I'm glad we resolved this issue, All drivers should be driving as close to the speed limit as safely possible, deliberately not doing so will get you in trouble,
Zarek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Keep in 3rd then
Are you really doing 30 though? What does your speedo say?

Bang on 30? Probably closer to 25 than it is to 30 then in reality. You can afford to creep up a bit for the sake of other drivers.

It pisses me off when people do an indicated 25-30 on a 30 road, because I can only shift to fourth and stay there if we maintain at an indicated 32.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise