Is there anything you wish you knew before yr 12 Watch

Sailor girl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is there anything you wish you knew before you started year 12, that would be useful for people going into year 12 to know?
I am taking biology, chemistry, geography, and geology and an really looking forward to sixth form.
Also can anyone recommend any large backpacks good for sixth form. They need to be available in the UK (I was looking at jansport but not many are available in UK and the ones that are are vv expensive) and ideally a nice colour or have a simple pattern
Glaz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't piss around in your frees. They may be called free periods but they're actually study periods. Trust me, I did absolutely nothing in them for the first semester and I had 9/10 per week. That was 9/10 hours per week for extra study. Don't **** around in them. You will regret it later. I regret it.
keptinside
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The more you stress, the most likely you gonna feel down and not progress
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Deggs_14
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Great subject choices, I do chemistry and geography (I'm going into year 13). My biggest advice is start making revision resources from day 1. I don't mean hardcore revision, as you've just started a levels and it's easy to burn out, but think about what revision methods worked well for you during GCSE, and what didn't. Especially for biology and geography, start making your resources early, as there is a lot of content. Make sure you know how to you want to take your notes in year 12. I like having an exercise book per teacher per subject, but some people like using a notebook where they can pull out paper, or just blank sheets of paper. Also buy a lever arch file for each subject as you get a lot of handouts. I'd bring a holepuncher to school too. Next, make sure you have all the clothes/ outfits you need for sixth form, depending on what you have to wear, formal or just any clothes. And finally, start thinking about university, courses you want to apply too, and which universities. It's a great idea to book university open days and visit them in year 12 rather than year 13. I'd recommend looking at Cambridge University Masterclasses too, they do ones for Geography, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Biology etc. They're £20 per day but very informative. Use your free periods to work, don't piss around in the common room as you can revise leisurely at home instead of doing work. Also think about your geography NEA project, what type of geography would you be interested in doing a coursework project on. I find the most common is either the theme of "place" in urban areas, or coastal management.
MiaNova
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, my name's Mia 👋
Just finished Yr 13 🏃*♀️😅💆

1. DON'T mess about in your frees like Glaz said. Use them wisely.

2. Ask your teachers Q's in lessons and take SIMPLE notes - you'll need them now that their are no AS levels. When doing notes use a variety of resources (textbook, school ppts, online, revision guides).

3. Do your homework asap so you can actually have fun once you get home

4. Make friends & choose them wisely. These 2 years will go by extremely FAST, no time for drama 😆

5. Have fun! Yr 13 is filled with STRESS ⚠️ Use the first few months of yr 12 to make friends and make lifelong memories with your friends.

Good luck! 🙂
DGeorge13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got a jansport backpack and it wasn’t too pricey but that is down to how much you are willing to or able to spend. In terms of things I wish I knew it’s mainly the fact that if you work consistently it will be alright and that I didn’t find it as hard as people made it seem it was going to be.
ephemeral02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i wish that i had engaged in lessons more, asking questions whenever i was unsure and making revision resources as i went along as i ended up struggling until the end. also, depending on what you want to do at uni, i wish i had done some volunteering or some reading around my subject earlier in the year. also, maybe try eastpak for a backpack
Sailor girl
Rep:
?
I know that I want to do geology at uni, and have a vague idea of where I want to go. Is the start of year 12 eg October and November too early to start going to open days?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Great subject choices, I do chemistry and geography (I'm going into year 13). My biggest advice is start making revision resources from day 1. I don't mean hardcore revision, as you've just started a levels and it's easy to burn out, but think about what revision methods worked well for you during GCSE, and what didn't. Especially for biology and geography, start making your resources early, as there is a lot of content. Make sure you know how to you want to take your notes in year 12. I like having an exercise book per teacher per subject, but some people like using a notebook where they can pull out paper, or just blank sheets of paper. Also buy a lever arch file for each subject as you get a lot of handouts. I'd bring a holepuncher to school too. Next, make sure you have all the clothes/ outfits you need for sixth form, depending on what you have to wear, formal or just any clothes. And finally, start thinking about university, courses you want to apply too, and which universities. It's a great idea to book university open days and visit them in year 12 rather than year 13. I'd recommend looking at Cambridge University Masterclasses too, they do ones for Geography, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Biology etc. They're £20 per day but very informative. Use your free periods to work, don't piss around in the common room as you can revise leisurely at home instead of doing work. Also think about your geography NEA project, what type of geography would you be interested in doing a coursework project on. I find the most common is either the theme of "place" in urban areas, or coastal management.
Sailor girl
Rep:
?
I do wjec, so we actually still have as levels, the only one I don't have as for is wjec geology. And I have a tutor for biology and chemistry as well, obviously I would ask class teachers for help, but I often find it easier to completely understand things if it is just me trying to learn it at one time
(Original post by MiaNova)
Hey, my name's Mia 👋
Just finished Yr 13 🏃*♀️😅💆

1. DON'T mess about in your frees like Glaz said. Use them wisely.

2. Ask your teachers Q's in lessons and take SIMPLE notes - you'll need them now that their are no AS levels. When doing notes use a variety of resources (textbook, school ppts, online, revision guides).

3. Do your homework asap so you can actually have fun once you get home

4. Make friends & choose them wisely. These 2 years will go by extremely FAST, no time for drama 😆

5. Have fun! Yr 13 is filled with STRESS ⚠️ Use the first few months of yr 12 to make friends and make lifelong memories with your friends.

Good luck! 🙂
Josh279
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Treat it as a 9-5, this will spread your work load out throughout the year and you won't be cramming when it comes to exam season as well as preparing you for university. Added bonus you will actually learn the content a lot better.
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sailor girl)
I know that I want to do geology at uni, and have a vague idea of where I want to go. Is the start of year 12 eg October and November too early to start going to open days?
No that's perfect timing - there is never too early! Many universities will have open days going from now up until around early November time. It's best to visit them now in Year 12 as Year 13 is vey busy and you'd be applying for university at that time next year.
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In the summer I'd recommend reading the book "A very short introduction to geology", you can find it on Amazon and that would be a great introductory step to see what parts of geology interest you.
Blueberrycherry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Make revision materials as you go along in lesson in year 12 cause u won’t have much time in year 13 to do it sooo do it early
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there anything you wish you knew before you started year 12, that would be useful for people going into year 12 to know?
I am taking biology, chemistry, geography, and geology and an really looking forward to sixth form.
Also can anyone recommend any large backpacks good for sixth form. They need to be available in the UK (I was looking at jansport but not many are available in UK and the ones that are are vv expensive) and ideally a nice colour or have a simple pattern
IKEA has some nice backpacks btw or you could consider getting Karrimor backpacks from Sports Direct as they're too lightweight as well. I didn't do any of these subjects at A-Level but I would say, organisation is key with terms of managing the workload and take Year 13 as a sprint not a marathon. In terms of the step-up from GCSE, CGP does have those 'Head Start' books for the Sciences if you want to stay ahead otherwise I wouldn't worry too much though.
mart1n
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure whether this might be a place to ask my question but here it goes anyway:

I'm about to start studying in the UK from September - Year 12 & 13 (I'm from Slovakia). I've chosen 3 subjects for my A-Levels - 1. Computer Science, 2. Design & Tech and 3. Further Maths with Statistics.

I think I won't have any problems with the first 2 subjects but I'm quite scared about Further Maths to be honest - not that I'm not interested in Maths, I love it but I just don't have an idea about what to expect from it (& the british school system as well).

1. Do you have any special recommendations for me (since I'm a student from abroad?)
2. Do you have any resources/websites/books I should definitely check-out before the school year even starts (tests for revision, ...)?

Greetings! Martin.
Sailor girl
Rep:
?
Thanks for the recommendation, I think I will use a level geology to to that too
(Original post by Deggs_14)
In the summer I'd recommend reading the book "A very short introduction to geology", you can find it on Amazon and that would be a great introductory step to see what parts of geology interest you.
Sailor girl
Rep:
?
Maybe try doing some additional maths papers (gcse level) because they are the first module of a level I think
(Original post by mart1n)
I'm not sure whether this might be a place to ask my question but here it goes anyway:

I'm about to start studying in the UK from September - Year 12 & 13 (I'm from Slovakia). I've chosen 3 subjects for my A-Levels - 1. Computer Science, 2. Design & Tech and 3. Further Maths with Statistics.

I think I won't have any problems with the first 2 subjects but I'm quite scared about Further Maths to be honest - not that I'm not interested in Maths, I love it but I just don't have an idea about what to expect from it (& the british school system as well).

1. Do you have any special recommendations for me (since I'm a student from abroad?)
2. Do you have any resources/websites/books I should definitely check-out before the school year even starts (tests for revision, ...)?

Greetings! Martin.
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
IKEA has some nice backpacks btw or you could consider getting Karrimor backpacks from Sports Direct as they're too lightweight as well. I didn't do any of these subjects at A-Level but I would say, organisation is key with terms of managing the workload and take Year 13 as a sprint not a marathon. In terms of the step-up from GCSE, CGP does have those 'Head Start' books for the Sciences if you want to stay ahead otherwise I wouldn't worry too much though.
Having actually bought the head start books I would say I opened them about once but they may have done use if you want
A.shaquile
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm taking bio, chem and physics. Thinking
Anonymous._iaaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ooh, definitely make revision resources from like day 1. You will need them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%