The Student Room Group

advice for year eleven?

I'm going into year eleven next year wand was wondering if anyone has any advice?
Original post by vix.xvi
I'm going into year eleven next year wand was wondering if anyone has any advice?

Don’t overwork yourself, make sure to take breaks. But also don’t underwork yourself as then you won’t reach your full potential. It’s about finding your limit. Try not to stress too much as well.

Hopefully this has been helpful and good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by vix.xvi

Like with Year 13 (which I just finished), it's a sprint not a marathon. Just ensure that you're not slacking or overworking and ending up burning yourself, just find the right balance and try not to worry too much or panic about GCSEs, you'll be more than fine. :smile:
tbh best advise you could get is make sure you have revision notes e.g. flashcards use Quizlet & mindmaps. For every single subject and make sure it is up-to date before you start Year 11 and you'll do well.
year 11 isn't that awful, make sure you put the work in from the beginning of the year as it'll save you a lot of stress. don't overwork yourself, just be consistent throughout the year with your efforts.
do try to revise for your mocks as they'll help you see what your weak spots are and you won't have to cram as much for the summer exams.
i'd recommend getting all the revision resources for year 10 content completed by the end of the summer so you're not stressing about it when september comes. take regular breaks when you're revising and don't aim to study for excessively long periods as it'll just be counterproductive.
gsces aren't the end of the world, nor do they define who you are; remember that:yep:
best of luck with year 11!!
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Like with Year 13 (which I just finished), it's a sprint not a marathon. Just ensure that you're not slacking or overworking and ending up burning yourself, just find the right balance and try not to worry too much or panic about GCSEs, you'll be more than fine. :smile:

It's a sprint not a marathon?
Like others have said, don’t work too much or too little. Revise for your mock exams so you know what you’re doing well and what you can improve on. When it comes to revision, break it down into sessions and 1 subject per session. When I was revising for my GCSEs, for each session I’d revise one topic/section from one subject for 50 minutes then take a 10-minute break. 50 mins revision, 10 mins break, and so on. It gives your brain a break. Figure out at what time of the day you revise more efficiently (early morning before school/afternoon after school/after dinner). Around February, you could make two revision timetables, one for school weeks (with extra sessions on weekends) and one for holidays (half-term, teacher training days, etc). Don’t forget to rule out one day a week where you won’t revise at all as your brain could use the break and you’ll need to relax.

Having great subject teachers can really boost your confidence and if you love those subjects, it’s a bonus. I got on really well with my Year 11 English teacher and their confidence in me really motivated me to revise hard for English and get a good grade. I also got on really well with my Year 11 Religious Studies teacher and I loved GCSE RS so that led me to getting a really good grade.

Doing extracurricular things can help you relax and de-stress. I was a Prefect in Year 11 and I loved the responsibilities (and perks!) that came with the role. You’ll make great friends, it’ll look good on your CV in the work experience section, and if you care about how others see you then I would say it’s a respected role within the school. If you’re not the Prefect type of person then taking up a sport (or two!) would also be good for getting away from revising.

I hope this has helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest