Election of a Speaker: Q&A Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have received two manifestos for the role of speaker. The two candidates, Aph and Jarred, will now take questions for 48 hours before voting begins.

Aph

Jarred

04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Slow claps for Connor. :congrats:

Jarred, are you active enough to be speaker?

Aph, why do you feel that change is needed?

What do both of you think about using other platforms that aren't TSR?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 month ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aph. absolutely ****ing not.
Jarred. A safe pair of hands, sure why not.
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 month ago
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Abstain it is then.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll be voting for and endorsing Jarred: he's an extremely capable candidate who will continue Fez's sterling work.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which change is that?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Slow claps for Connor. :congrats:

Jarred, are you active enough to be speaker?

Aph, why do you feel that change is needed?

What do both of you think about using other platforms that aren't TSR?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why not?
(Original post by Andrew97)
Aph. absolutely ****ing not.
Jarred. A safe pair of hands, sure why not.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Jarred was the speaker when I entered the House! The speakership could yet see another huge comeback!
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In the words of Nicholas Parsons I will give the benefit of doubt to Connor and assume he chose not to submit, Connor27. Is this the case?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
On to more serious questioning.

For both candidates: what interaction have you had with the CT in the past, and what approach would you take to interacting with the CT in the role?
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was #TeamConnor all the way. It's a shame he did not submit
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Jarred You're so inactive that I would imagine most that have arrived in the last few years have no idea who you are, why should we trust you to be active enough for speakership?

Aph Much like Connor27, who it seems has chickened out, your platform seems to be little to do with the speaker as an administrative role and more to do with changing the working of the house, something that would still need to be done via amendments to the GD and constitution, things that can be just as easily done without being speaker, why should be vote for you when one would suggest you don't understand the role?
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I second this, not a word of a lie, this is the first time I've heard of Jarred (no offence intended)
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Jarred You're so inactive that I would imagine most that have arrived in the last few years have no idea who you are, why should we trust you to be active enough for speakership?
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This doesn't look good from the get-go if I'm being totally honest. Will have to abstain for now and very tempted to vote for RON.

Aph Interesting that you want to scrap the Ask the Government thread and hold fortnightly PMQs instead. However, I can't see how this is feasible. Technically, this means the PM will have to answer everything and occasionally their deputy or another appointed person will respond on behalf of the PM in their absence. What happens when people have questions for gov't ministers? Not something I support.

Explain how the automation of bills will work and the simulation of by-elections.

Jarred As 04MR17 rightly points out, your activity level is a right concern as a candidate for Speakership. What will you do if the automation of the Speakership fails unexpectedly? You cannot 100% totally rely on an automated system. Also, I don't understand your vision with regards to 'open direction about our future direction'.

Question to all: What do you both think about using other platforms other than TSR for the MHoC?
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I changed my mind and realised it was probably futile and that my arguments are likely to fall on deaf ears anyway.

On the topic of this actual election though, I’ll be voting RON - Aph is ****ing nuts and the Speaker having a close personal relationship with the DS is a very alarming prospect. As for Jarred, he’s a status quo candidate and a vobot at that, unlikely to change anything.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
Why not?
We don’t need simulated elections.
Individual ask the party threads are useful for admin
Accepting all new party proposals is a terrible idea,
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Got to be Jarred, can't be having Aph.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Early in my time on TSR, before I joined the house I was active in trying to befriend the CT because it’s important to have friendly relations. As to how I’d deal with them I’d try and make them care. It’s easier to do something for someone or something that you care about.
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
On to more serious questioning.

For both candidates: what interaction have you had with the CT in the past, and what approach would you take to interacting with the CT in the role?
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

Aph Much like Connor27, who it seems has chickened out, your platform seems to be little to do with the speaker as an administrative role and more to do with changing the working of the house, something that would still need to be done via amendments to the GD and constitution, things that can be just as easily done without being speaker, why should be vote for you when one would suggest you don't understand the role?
Not all of my changes need approval from the house to do. And you should know more than anybody that having the person in charge push for an idea gives it more weight and credibility. I also know the role is administrative and have included changes to tat effect in my manifesto.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I changed my mind and realised it was probably futile and that my arguments are likely to fall on deaf ears anyway.

On the topic of this actual election though, I’ll be voting RON - Aph is ****ing nuts and the Speaker having a close personal relationship with the DS is a very alarming prospect. As for Jarred, he’s a status quo candidate and a vobot at that, unlikely to change anything.
Must say that I'm very surprised that you didn't put yourself forward after the apparent 'hype'. Perhaps you could offer something that the other two candidates can't ... who knows.
London090
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly I’m now very conflicted with who to vote for, I’m surprised Connor has not entered a manifesto and will not be standing however it is what it is.

Jarred, as Jammy has correctly stated isn’t very active at all and being a member of this house for almost a year I believe I still haven’t had a conversation with this member.

Aph on the other hand is a member I know very well and have spoken to on many occasions, I’d even dare to say that we were close acquaintances at one point. However it seems that this member does often get into arguments and conflicts with other members of the house and he is also slightly unpopular at the moment. I believe he is still a very educated member who has some good ideas but I’d need to be convinced that all the drama will be stopped and that this member can manage to earn the respect of members within the house. Someone once said that earning a seat of high leadership would mean that one must be in a position of relative popularity and this is where Aph lacks.

Both candidates have my invitation to rebut my statement, from there I will dictate who earns my vote.
Last edited by London090; 1 month ago
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%