The Student Room Group

Filling

I had my first filling today. The injection was fine. A little uncomfortable but fine. The first half of the filling was fine also but then during the second half the pain was really bad. I nearly had to ask him to stop. Now I’ve had toothache ever since the numbness has gone. I can’t tell if it’s just in the tooth with the filling. It seems to be the one above as well but I’m not totally sure. Is this normal or not ? I’m conferences he’s done something wrong.
Original post by Anysmith64
I had my first filling today. The injection was fine. A little uncomfortable but fine. The first half of the filling was fine also but then during the second half the pain was really bad. I nearly had to ask him to stop. Now I’ve had toothache ever since the numbness has gone. I can’t tell if it’s just in the tooth with the filling. It seems to be the one above as well but I’m not totally sure. Is this normal or not ? I’m conferences he’s done something wrong.

I had 3 fillings done recently, seems maybe they had to give you more numbing as it wore off a bit quickly but pain after i was told was normal especially if it's a deep filling. If it's a couple of days and it still hurts then i'd go back
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I had 3 fillings done recently, seems maybe they had to give you more numbing as it wore off a bit quickly but pain after i was told was normal especially if it's a deep filling. If it's a couple of days and it still hurts then i'd go back

Yeah I think it was a fairly deep filling. He said it was inside my tooth so that’s what I’m assuming.
It can ache a bit after any sort of dental work, try taking some paracetamol or ibuprofen.

Next time, do ask them to stop if it becomes painful during it. Dental work is not meant to hurt at all-sounds like you needed some more anaesthetic, some people do need more or find it needs topping up. Sometimes going to the dentist is uncomfortable because of pressure and the sound of the drilling etc, but despite what people often seem to think, that they should just put up with a certain amount of pain, it should not be part of the equation.
Honestly, the only thing you can do is take pain killers and wait for the pain to die down. I used to rub crushed ibuprofen or paracetamol on my gums to numb the pain. Maybe worth trying.

Quick Reply

Latest