The Student Room Group

Pressure to Date (Sorry for Ranting)

There has always seemed to be a pressure cooker where I live (southern USA) to follow the crowd by rushing into the dating and marriage asap. Because of failed attempts and my current stage in life there is no way in hell I am even interested in dating. Plus I have enjoyed so many of my hobbies alone as a singleton without following the agenda that comes with frequently being around a partner. But the continued pressure arising from the death of my uncle (leaving me the last one possible to share my last name), continued conversations from my BFF about the opposite gender against my will and constant SM posts about my friends’ romantic success is about to blow my top off.

Again I believe there are so many perks about singleness that outnumber the perks of romance in my stage of life but I get short-fused with society’s stigma against singles and pressure to date. What should I do to fully take advantage of the positives of my singleness and live my own life?
Thanks so much for the tips!

Moving out to a larger city is actually something I may do because of job opportunities in my field and increase the diversity of my sphere. Maybe you got something going :wink:

I agree, I’m glad to find someone who agrees with me. In my experience the harder I strive to form relationships the less organic they seem to be, thus I’m left more disappointed.
Don’t give a flying **** about what people think and live life the way you want to live it.
I think so too. I’ve always struggled with balancing pleasing people vs doing my own thing. Hopefully I can surround myself with more people who won’t just focus on turning me into a clone.
Honestly personally I would prefer being single because not only does it give time to focus on urself but also removes the burden and unnecessary stresss of a relationship , life is already stressful
I would personally establish myself and become financially independent before pursuing things
I get where ur coming from because a lot of girls I know have an age by which they want to find someone and it shouldn’t be like that , it should happen when u are ready
Its becuase of societal influence. Its just part of society
Original post by kkllookkkk
Honestly personally I would prefer being single because not only does it give time to focus on urself but also removes the burden and unnecessary stresss of a relationship , life is already stressful
I would personally establish myself and become financially independent before pursuing things
I get where ur coming from because a lot of girls I know have an age by which they want to find someone and it shouldn’t be like that , it should happen when u are ready

I'm very grateful that someone feels the same way I do at this stage in life. These past few years have been draining with many transitions taking place right now. So why do I need a relationship to complicate things even further?

I'm with you on the financial aspect of relationships lol As you have said, many women in my circle have set ages where I should commit myself to a relationship, and some have even isolated me for not wanting to be a part of the crowd. I guess I am in control of my own life and don't need others forcing their expectations on me. Thanks for your reply and for your understanding!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending