Oxford Applications

Watch
JamesW123
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does having bad GCSE's put me at a disadvantage? I imagine it does, however I have good predicted grades as I've developed as a student so does this counter the bad GCSE's? This is for Law at Oxford.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hola JamesW123,

Over-estimating what GCSEs are needed is one of the most common concerns on the Oxbridge tsr pages. If you would like to state your gcse profile, we can give you a straight answer tomorrow.

Brasenose Admissions
(Original post by JamesW123)
Does having bad GCSE's put me at a disadvantage? I imagine it does, however I have good predicted grades as I've developed as a student so does this counter the bad GCSE's? This is for Law at Oxford.
JamesW123
Rep:
Mathematics-8 Religious Studies-8 History-8 Physics-7 Chemistry-6 Biology-5 English Lang-5 English Literature-5 Physical education-5 French-3. A-level predictedMathematics-A*Business Studies-A*History-A

(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Hola JamesW123,

Over-estimating what GCSEs are needed is one of the most common concerns on the Oxbridge tsr pages. If you would like to state your gcse profile, we can give you a straight answer tomorrow.

Brasenose Admissions
BrasenoseAdm
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Mathematics-8 Religious Studies-8 History-8 Physics-7 Chemistry-6 Biology-5 English Lang-5 English Literature-5 Physical education-5 French-3. A-level predictedMathematics-A*Business Studies-A*History-A
Last year for Law, we think 342 UK applicants were interviewed. Of these, 40 had 3 or fewer 8/9s at GCSEs. Looking at the 40, 29 were flagged overall for contextual data (indicating that the GCSE performance level may have been very good given the school attended) and 11 were not.

This suggests that you would need to perform well in the LNAT and/or have GCSEs that are strong in the context of the school attended at age 16 to be shortlisted for interview. We cannot say what LNAT score might be needed as Law would look at all aspects of an application and Oxford is also in the process of overhauling its use of contextual data.
Last edited by BrasenoseAdm; 2 years ago
JamesW123
Rep:
I went to Kings Norton Boys School, and I don’t believe this would be flagged up for a contextual offer. Is there any way I can check this?
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Last year for Law, we think 342 UK applicants were interviewed. Of these, 40 had 3 or fewer 8/9s at GCSEs. Looking at the 40, 29 were flagged overall for contextual data (indicating that the GCSE performance level may have been very good given the school attended) and 11 were not.

This suggests that you would need to perform well in the LNAT and/or have GCSEs that are strong in the context of the school attended at age 16 to be shortlisted for interview. We cannot say what LNAT score might be needed as Law would look at all aspects of an application and Oxford is also in the process of overhauling its use of contextual data.
BrasenoseAdm
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
We don't
I went to Kings Norton Boys School, and I don’t believe this would be flagged up for a contextual offer. Is there any way I can check this?
We don't know of any way of checking formally but were you to ask your teachers for a view on how your results compared, we think they might be willing to help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.54%
Note taking apps (6)
2.44%
Flashcards (48)
19.51%
Revision guides (15)
6.1%
Past papers (116)
47.15%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.25%

Watched Threads